Thinking about getting an aquarium... advice?

BTaylor

ever since my fish died, I have thought about investing in an aquarium. I dont know much about fish and I already have a guinea pig and a dog but I think it would be fun. Any advice on what to get?

kansas

Get the biggest tank you can, go slow and never get any animals without doing research before. Many fish stores give bad advice to make a sale, so check anything they tell you on this web page before you believe them.

RonP

I recommend getting tap water tested to determine ph, kh, gh....as a precursor to getting fish. That will help a lot in matching fish to water attributes.
Learn about the nitrogen cycle, lots of info on this site. Once you have an idea of the fish you want, check out what type of tank scape they prefer, to help select strata and type of scape additions.
There are tons of fish varieties, have fun researching for your choices.

Fisch

Regarding tank size, a good trial size to start and see if you even like it would be the 20gl to 75gl tank size.
Tanks and the aquarium hobby in general can swallow a lot of money, and big tanks are a lot of work which can take the fun out of it, and you want to have and grow the fun.

SparkyJones

Regarding tank size, a good trial size to start and see if you even like it would be the 20gl to 75gl tank size.
Tanks and the aquarium hobby in general can swallow a lot of money, and big tanks are a lot of work which can take the fun out of it, and you want to have and grow the fun.
big tanks are a lot of work and can take the fun out of it, but too small can be really unstable and be nothing but problems also and just as not fun. I'd say a minimum of 10 gallons, and maybe up to 30 or 40 gallons for someone starting and wanting to keep some kind of fish, but not big fish, big fish need big tanks but big tanks take a water hauling and more time to do water changes and the routine maintenance, I only really recommend a tank under 10 gallons for people with disabilities that prevent them for doing the bigger water changes needed on a bigger tank, but they also have to be realistic on what they want to keep in that small tank.

I'd need to ask, "what type of fish has your interest that you'd like to keep?" this can go a long way to determining the size of tank you'd need to keep the fish happy and healthy, and more importantly, not be too big or too small, to where it's easier to maintain.

the larger the tank, the more options you have. the smaller the tank, the less options you have, too big is problems, too small is problems, but if you have a specific species of fish in mind you'd like to keep, this can go a long way in determining what you really need for a tank and filter to do that species well. I know there are plenty of "community tank" people, but there are just as many single species people also.

I'd also say as far as it goes, the 55 gallon is about as big as it gets before it becomes a chore to water change each time anything bigger needs a better plan for water changes than a hose and bucket.

I think what takes the fun out of it for just about everyone is the problem after problem and dead fish that happens when it's all just not a good fit. It's not so much the maintenance work to keep the tank looking good and the fish happy and healthy, there are shortcuts for those things to make those go faster.

dcutl002

In my opinion a 30 gallon tank is a good starter tank.

kansas

One of the hard things for new people is living with the limits that come with a smaller tank. So many problems are caused by overstocking.

Cawafuoshi

10G can be a lot of fun. Consider the weight of a scaped and filled tank.

Fisch

My favorite tank is the 20gl...water changes are a breeze, aquas caping is a lot of fun, and it fits nearly everywhere.

Cawafuoshi

My favorite tank is the 20gl...water changes are a breeze, aquas caping is a lot of fun, and it fits nearly everywhere.
I agree. Its the next fun size up the line. Currently experimenting with one, Co2 injection and all.

Fisch

I agree. Its the next fun size up the line. Currently experimenting with one, Co2 injection and all.
CO2 gets wonderful results in plant growth, just a bit too scary for me yet :)

StarGirl

ever since my fish died, I have thought about investing in an aquarium. I dont know much about fish and I already have a guinea pig and a dog but I think it would be fun. Any advice on what to get?
Welcome to Fishlore! I would think fish would die without a aquarium. ;) J/K. :D

I also am a 20-30G tank is a good starter tank.

jackywacky

Welcome! I would think about getting at least a 20 gallon to start, but 30-40 is optimal. do which ever tank is best for your size and budget. just know when there is more water then more area for bad chemicals to disperse, which means less ammonia, nitrate, nitrite to square inch. to put it simple and as others have said get the biggest tank for your budget and size. hope you like it here!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
PeterFishKeepin
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views