Question Thinking About Getting A Wave Maker For My 37g Fresh Tank

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
for my 37g should I get the nano hydor 240 or 425? the packaging suggests 425, though a friend says that a 425 would be too much. incoming!

ps. I have a power head but the suction cups on it suck (its always the 2 top cups not working and it falls forward) and I'm not exactly sure I was using it correctly anyway. dead zones in my tank. I don't know if that is something I have to worry about though. a wave maker for movement sounds fun. but what do you think?

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nickguy5467 said:
for my 37g should I get the nano hydor 240 or 425? the packaging suggests 425, though a friend says that a 425 would be too much. incoming!

ps. I have a power head but the suction cups on it suck (its always the 2 top cups not working and it falls forward) and I'm not exactly sure I was using it correctly anyway. dead zones in my tank. I don't know if that is something I have to worry about though. a wave maker for movement sounds fun. but what do you think?

za1mPJ2s-CHy0BwZGKYOkUZB050UBxQWQKYlhrel4lFTG8am_u2jlGoO1xcu3x8wuB-s_cnqp6Kt75_48s=w1250-h937-no.png
Hello Nick...

Is the purpose of the power head to mix oxygen into the tank water? That type of current isn't really good, because it doesn't mix much oxygen and pushes your fish around. As for dead zones, that can happen with fine sand as a bottom material, but not with anything else. A filter that pushes the tank water from bottom to top works much better to mix oxygen into the water than a gizmo that moves the water side to side. The fish wouldn't be pushed around with something like a sponge filter.

Old

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For freshwater the 240 is enough. Some guy posted a video on youtube of a 240 vs 425 in a 36 inches long tank and the fish were being pushed around a lot with the 425, to the point of being unpleasant for them and they hid at the bottom of the tank (his wave maker was near the top).

For my 36 inches long 45g, I will be getting a 240, after seeing this video.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oldsalt777 said:
Hello Nick...

Is the purpose of the power head to mix oxygen into the tank water? That type of current isn't really good, because it doesn't mix much oxygen and pushes your fish around. As for dead zones, that can happen with fine sand as a bottom material, but not with anything else. A filter that pushes the tank water from bottom to top works much better to mix oxygen into the water than a gizmo that moves the water side to side. The fish wouldn't be pushed around with something like a sponge filter.

Old
you're probably right. ill stick with my power head. just wish I could get it to stop falling >.>

New Threads