Thinking About Getting A Leporinus - or two...

Zach72202

Disclaimer - I have not bought them.
Hello, the fish store near me has recently gotten in about half a dozen black banded leporinus, and had them about two weeks now. I am aware they get about 12" in length and can be the 'Dennis the Menace' of a tank. I was wondering if anybody has any experience keeping them and what to expect. They are about 2.5-3" right now and I was considering keeping them temporarily in a 55g tank with my tetras, platys, and other assorted small fish. Does anybody think this would work, or may by cardinals become a fish snack very shortly? Eventually I want to set up a 75g Tank with Angels and ropefish. In hindsight once writing this, these fish don't seem like a fantastic idea, but I figure input from others would be helpful! Thank you for reading!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
My experience with Leporinus consists of dropping it into a 29 gallon tank and watching a small Oscar instantly suck it in like a hot dog. Been hesitant to mess with them ever since.

MomeWrath

Well Known
I had one, once upon a time a couple decades ago, for about three weeks. Then it found a gap in the lid and tried hardwood surfing. So IME they are jumpers....

OP
Zach72202

Zach72202

Hmm so far everything I have read about them is like a big nono haha. This just adds to it, but I do not have an oscar that would have a nice hot dog meal out of it.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom