Thinking about getting a HOB filter

RyanReef

So I was thinking about getting a HOB filter of some sort and wanted opinions on what to get and what I should put in it. Currently I have a 46gal bowfront in the process of cycling. It has 50lbs of Marco Rock dry rock 4-5 lbs live rock from a frag tank sump. 50lbs of "live" sand that I also added 2 lbs of actual live sand to from someones established display tank. For circulation I have a Hydor Koralia 650 GPH I think and a 425 GPH Powerhead. I also have a closed loop reservoir I will be using after it has cycled to add extra water volume and a bit more circulation. My protein skimmer I'll be running is an aquac remora hob with maxI jet 1200 pump.Anyhow I'm considering the hob filter just so I can add things like purigen etc if need be seeing as I won't have an actual sump. Also I may add a sponge or something so I can use it to seed a quarantine tank in the future. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Basically looking for ideas on what to get and what to run in it

RyanReef

Bump....... Anybody?

Mike

Not a bad idea if you keep it maintained. You could put in activated carbon, phosban, purigen or similar as needed. An aquaclear hang on type powerfilter would work fine imo.

Bijou88

I've had good luck with the aquaclear hobs, I take the carbon out and use 2 bags of ceramics with the sponge instead.

RyanReef

Those were my thoughts aswell. I'm still undecided as of yet tho. I was looking at the aquaclear models. The 110 is probably better but I think the 70 may be sufficient enough. I only briefly glanced at them online. I just ran into another problem tho I have to take care of in my tank that is cycling. White mucus slime. I already think I know the cause. Right now I'm making ro water to make up some sw and see if U can maybe syphon most out and do a decent sized pwc. I think it's a bacteria strain tho so not sure if that'll eradicate it. Also one of my clowns committed suicide today. I'm actually extremely sad about it. The two definitely had a strong bond. Possibly a mated pair. He jumped into the back chamber of my biocube while I was out. He did it once before when I was home aswell but luckily I noticed then. I always get suspicious when the two aren't playing side by side I immediately lift the lid. No use today tho. I was out when it happened :'( . Thanks tho for the input. I like the pre packed purigen in the 100ml bags and when the time comes and I start testing more params will add what's needed

Bijou88

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your clown, that's so sad.

Semiaquatic

I have two aquaclear 50 hob filters. I put purigen, sponges and filter floss in one and sponges phosguard and filter floss in the other. It works great. Super clean water

James Cochran

Good idea! I do the same thing you're suggesting actually. I find a HOB is very easy access for the small media bag types.

RyanReef

The back of my tank is going to be pretty crowded with hob stuff lol but this was my solution to not having a sump. I would love to have one but I just don't have the space. There are a lot of people that say that mechanical filtration is not needed if you use LR and a skimmer. That cannister filters, hob filters etc are nitrate factories but I think that all really depends what you put in them. I won't be adding any bio balls or anything like that to harbor nitrates. Basically just want somewhere to put bagged media. I may or may not add a sponge. Depending on whether or not I decide to use a quarantine tank. I did buy a brand new 10 gallon tank to use to quarantine and a really expensive decoration for it but it may just be easier to use my biocube as a quarantine tank. I'll have to see when the time comes

Semiaquatic

Ya I have two aquaclear 50s and a hob uv sterilizer hanging off the back of my tank so it's pretty crowded but it filters amazingly

RyanReef

My tank is 36 inches long. I only have a hob skimmer and will have 2x 1/2" pvc pipes. I'm thinking about getting the 70. All I need it for is purigen etc and I thing the 70 is plenty. Plus already I'm going to have to pull my tank full out an inch at least to get it in. It'll fit but it'll be right against the wall and I don't want it that snug

Semiaquatic

Ya I think most of the aquaclears are 4 inches deep. It's worth it and if you put purigen sandwiched between a sponge and filter floss you're golden

Semiaquatic

They are 3.5 inches from the glass to the wall

RyanReef

They are 3.5 inches from the glass to the wall

Yeah that's for the 50. The 70 I think is 6" and the 110 is 6 3/4 I think. I Googled it and got a specs sheet. Is the media basket removable?

Semiaquatic

Ya it's removable. I rigged mine and out fishing line halfway thru it to divide it and give my media bag with phosguard some room to have water flow all around it and to tumble a little. It helps

I think that any way you do it, you can't have enough filtration. Just an insurance policy to keep water parameters stable

James Cochran

"Nitrate factory" - Where do these people think the nitrates came from? Like they didn't exist prior to that filter haha. Mechanical filtration is nice to help remove fine particulates from the water.

RyanReef

Lol. I guess it becomes a factory if people don't do regular maintenance and clean it. Maybe they think filters are set and forget means of keeping their tanks clean? Anyhow this is what I was thinking for my aquaclear 70 when I get it. I'll be ordering it Sunday or may just buy it when I go to the lfs Sunday. I'll be ordering the media for it Sunday cause I'll probably save $20 so it'll take like a week to get here but was thinking.... sponge on the bottom, then rhowphas (sp?), purigen, then maybe some poly? How does that sound?

Semiaquatic

Sounds great! Just be really sure to give the phosphate media some room to tumble around a bit. So pack it real loose. I clean my sponges and floss twice a week, so it doesn't have a chance to spike my nitrates

RyanReef

I'm thinking I should probably get the aquaclear 110 but I have my reasons for not. I'll probably change my poly every other day or so. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how quick and how dirty it gets. The sponge will probably be part of my weekly maintenance. I don't really think it's a nitrate spike so to speak. More less they just hold onto nitrates. Everything won't be added probably for a week could be more after I actually start running my tank for more than just cycling but better late than never. One thing I do wish I did was have my rock further towards the back of the tank. It isn't budging now lol. There's 50 pounds and it's sitting on egg crate and surrounded by sand.

Semiaquatic

Haha ya there's no moving it now. I'm glad that I have the two ac 50s because I can put different media in them and run them differently.

The aquaclear is the way to go though if you want options.
Do you have a sump or a refugium?

RyanReef

Neither hence why I want the hob filter.

Semiaquatic

I am going to mod one of my aquaclears into a hob refugium. Take the media basket out, modify it and use it to house chaeto with a light on top.

RyanReef

I've seen really detailed plans for that online. Also when looking at prices online at bigals I noticed for a lot cheaper they sell just the cases for aquaclears. They have other models to.

James Cochran

The biggest HOB that would fit on your tank is probably best. More water flow isn't a problem in saltwater. The aqua clear you're paying for a quite, well-known, customizable HOB. With that being said, I'd always go with a cheaper one if you're only thinking about putting Refugium algae in there. There's no need for a big high dollar aquaclar. Aqueou Quietflows are pretty quiet and chaaaaheap!

Biggest cheapest HOB with a couple very porous rock rubble (extra filtration) with cheato rubber banded to the filter rock.

If you want to move water perfectly up and down through diverse filter media, the aqua clear is your best bet. With a fuge, you don't really care how water passes through it, as long as light touches the algae. Save that cash for other marine features ;]

Semiaquatic

Well said!

RyanReef

I bought the aquaclear 70 today and ordered purigen and rhowphas and and a seachem bag for the rhowphas. The purigen I bought the pre bagged 100ml packages. The link I posted was just pointing out that if using for a refugium you could possible just get the case rather than buying a complete aquaclear filter

Oakes15

Fluval Aqua clear 70 is the way to go, it is great for mechanical filtration, it sucks up floating stuff really good!!!! And adds water movement to the tank. All I put is 2 sponges in there and that's it cause the live rock and sand will take care of the bacteria. Maybe add carbon or whatever if the tank is looking yellow but that's if you let your tank go. You just have to clean the sponges every 2 weeks and you're golden.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Teishokue
Replies
Views
ryanr
Replies
Views
Semiaquatic
Replies
Views