Thinking About Breeding Bettas For Lfs

Happy Mama

Active Member
Member
Messages
118
Reaction score
36
Location
USA
Experience
1 year
My LFS wants me to breed show quality bettas for them. They want more local breeders and they’ll supply me with imported pairs (whatever they want more of). They trust me enough to care for fry and to give it a shot. I’ve raised free livebearer fry into adults and received store credit from them. They know I’m a SAHM, and I rarely leave this community. I’m usually at home in view of our toddlers, fur babies and fin babies. I can check on my tanks when ever I want. After the little ones are in bed, I have 2-4 hours every night to dedicate to fish.

I’m trying to figure out the cost and logistics of it all, and doing a trial, before committing. I don’t want to spend any money for the trial, and figured I can trade my Panda Corys and Clown Pleco for store credit to get the best HM male for one of my HM girls in my 55 gallon sorority tank. I have several 5 gallon and 20 gallon clear plastic storage containers I can “borrow” from my house. I can get used heaters and sponge filters from the LFS and disinfect them for use. I also have the Fishlore community to give me advice or help me troubleshoot. My husband is optimistic and supportive. If it goes bad, I can cull. If it goes well, I get some money or store credit. What do you think?
 

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
1,627
Location
USA
Experience
4 years
Happy Mama said:
My LFS wants me to breed show quality bettas for them. They want more local breeders and they’ll supply me with imported pairs (whatever they want more of). They trust me enough to care for fry and to give it a shot. I’ve raised free livebearer fry into adults and received store credit from them. They know I’m a SAHM, and I rarely leave this community. I’m usually at home in view of our toddlers, fur babies and fin babies. I can check on my tanks when ever I want. After the little ones are in bed, I have 2-4 hours every night to dedicate to fish.

I’m trying to figure out the cost and logistics of it all, and doing a trial, before committing. I don’t want to spend any money for the trial, and figured I can trade my Panda Corys and Clown Pleco for store credit to get the best HM male for one of my HM girls in my 55 gallon sorority tank. I have several 5 gallon and 20 gallon clear plastic storage containers I can “borrow” from my house. I can get used heaters and sponge filters from the LFS and disinfect them for use. I also have the Fishlore community to give me advice or help me troubleshoot. My husband is optimistic and supportive. If it goes bad, I can cull. If it goes well, I get some money or store credit. What do you think?
Sounds like a good idea. Bettas a fairly easy to breed and you could get some money for them. Do you have any questions?
 

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,245
Reaction score
8,652
Experience
Just started
I think there are too many people out there wanting to do the same thing, and in fact, are doing the same thing. I would personally breed something else, something less common or something that are generally wild-caught, like Amano shrimp, Clown Plecos, and the various wild Ancistrus as a few examples.
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I think there are too many people out there wanting to do the same thing, and in fact, are doing the same thing. I would personally breed something else, something less common or something that are generally wild-caught, like Amano shrimp, Clown Plecos, and the various wild Ancistrus as a few examples.
Or even other betta species that's not the everyday, run of the mill betta. Some of the mouthbrooders for example, would be a good idea.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,117
Reaction score
3,495
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
4 years
Would your LFS only take show quality? You're really not going to get a lot of show quality ones from a spawn, and if you have to euthanize the rest, that would be over 100 easily.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Happy Mama

Happy Mama

Active Member
Member
Messages
118
Reaction score
36
Location
USA
Experience
1 year
CaptainAquatics said:
Sounds like a good idea. Bettas a fairly easy to breed and you could get some money for them. Do you have any questions?
Thank you for your reply. I do have some questions regarding the aftercare and growing them out. I understand I’ll need to separate the males when time is due, but how do we keep all of them warm?

I’m used to keeping 1/2 inch fry in my community 55 gallon MT to grow out. I felt that I was more successful at getting them to grow faster, larger and healthier that way. I have female platies and babies, female bettas of all kinds and sterbaI cories. It’s not difficult for me to “catch” my bettas, they all just gravitate towards my hand and I cup them. Can I put the females in my MT to grow out?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Happy Mama

Happy Mama

Active Member
Member
Messages
118
Reaction score
36
Location
USA
Experience
1 year
scarface said:
I think there are too many people out there wanting to do the same thing, and in fact, are doing the same thing. I would personally breed something else, something less common or something that are generally wild-caught, like Amano shrimp, Clown Plecos, and the various wild Ancistrus as a few examples.
I understand the over population of bettas and this probably isn’t going to make me any money. We’re just trying to put out better genetics, and their bettas seem to sell very well for show and as pets.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Happy Mama

Happy Mama

Active Member
Member
Messages
118
Reaction score
36
Location
USA
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
Or even other betta species that's not the everyday, run of the mill betta. Some of the mouthbrooders for example, would be a good idea.
So far, that’s not what they want me to breed. I’m not sure if that’s what their customers want either. I wouldn’t know how to sell them as I’m more of a caretaker than a seller.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Happy Mama

Happy Mama

Active Member
Member
Messages
118
Reaction score
36
Location
USA
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Would your LFS only take show quality? You're really not going to get a lot of show quality ones from a spawn, and if you have to euthanize the rest, that would be over 100 easily.
If they don’t make the cut, they sell them as common pet bettas competitively priced to big box chain stores, or if necessary, adopt them out for me.
 

CameronsBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
458
Reaction score
257
Experience
5 years
Are you aware that you are going to be spending a lot more money than you are going to earn?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Happy Mama

Happy Mama

Active Member
Member
Messages
118
Reaction score
36
Location
USA
Experience
1 year
KoiBettas said:
Are you aware that you are going to be spending a lot more money than you are going to earn?
Yes, this is a hobby project supported by a LFS. I wouldn’t be able to do this on my own.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Happy Mama

Happy Mama

Active Member
Member
Messages
118
Reaction score
36
Location
USA
Experience
1 year
C04912AC-5E43-4E26-A008-633844FB2C98.jpeg
1A58FA6B-545B-4672-B30A-A3C3965A219D.jpeg
KoiBettas BTW, your koI HMPK are beautiful. I have (3) females in my MT that didn’t make the cut. They’re the sweetest ones I could find out of several. Here’s a picture of one of my favorites - she has odd eyes (one blue, one green). Sorry, I’m a terrible photographer.
 

CameronsBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
458
Reaction score
257
Experience
5 years
Happy Mama said:
C04912AC-5E43-4E26-A008-633844FB2C98.jpeg
1A58FA6B-545B-4672-B30A-A3C3965A219D.jpeg
KoiBettas BTW, your koI HMPK are beautiful. I have (3) females in my MT that didn’t make the cut. They’re the sweetest ones I could find out of several. Here’s a picture of one of my favorites - she has odd eyes (one blue, one green). Sorry, I’m a terrible photographer.
Thanks! Beautiful koI female you have right there. She kinda looks like mine too! (her name is sunset btw)
 

Attachments

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
272
Guests online
3,230
Total visitors
3,502

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom