Thinking About Bettas, What to Know?

KiwiFish22

Hey everyone.
I'm still need at fish keeping and apparently guppies are not in my future. After having way more guppies than I would care to die I think im accepting they're just not gonna work for me right now. Looking at fish I wanna give a try next I was considering a betta. I want to have other fish in the tank with him and was gonna get them first to make sure I can handle caring for them first. I still have 1 guppy and 1 endler guppy left so I was thinking about getting some mollies in a few days, I've read online bettas will do well with them, have people here had experience with keeping them with bettas? Otherwise what fish would you recommend to keep with them?
Also do bettas need a different tank set up than guppies? I have a 20 gal long tank with silk plants and 2 kinda big hiding places. I also bought a log that I didn't realize was a floating log and took out recently (had been weighing it down with rocks before) I think I read bettas actually use them floating though?
Basically just figuring out where to start if I decide to go with bettas. Im feeling super disheartened from losing all these guppies so this is my last shot at fish keeping I think so I really wanna make sure I get it all right this time

AggressiveAquatics

Bettas are a great choice. I just got my first one after keeping fish for 4 years and I can say after 2 days he’s one of the most entertaining fish I have. For general info when choosing your betta I’d recommend going for plakat bettas. They have none of the health risks other types have. And for food mine likes hikari betta gold and tropical bug bites, I’ll try brine shrimp this weekend. I’d also recommend live plants. It’s not a need but your betta will definitely appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Luckyscale2003

mollies require salt that a betta cant tolerate i would personally get platies or swordtails instead of mollies
here's what ya need for bettas
1 betta
live plants
substrate
spongue filter (needs to have a light flow or they get too stressed out)
heater (for my 20 gal I use a 50 watt same for my 10 gals)

so if I where you which I don't know tank size but I feel like you have either a 10 gal or 20 gal
buy 3 or 4 java fern and some "betta plants" they are bulb plants but bettas love them. Scrap out your fake plants because bettas fins are thin and they will tear their fins and cause fin rot and if you have live plants = less water changes clearer water and all around healthier fish and ecosystem. guppies can be a issue because bettas want to be the only colorful thing n the tank so unless you have lots of live plants and caves for them to hde wouldn't atemp t because bettas wll try and kill it endlers i never owned them so cant say molles are uncompadable

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ouse
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettaholic
Replies
Views
AllieSten