40 Gallon Tank Thinking about a Pearl Gourami...

Jragan23

I recently upgraded to a 40 breeder. I have a school of about 15 neon tetras and then I have some platies, guppies, and a pleco. (Not sure how much longer I’ll have the live bearers though since bred like crazy and need to give some away ) I’ve started looking into other fish I can get and I really like Gouramis. I was just wondering if a pearl gourami would go good in this tank or would it be too aggressive? Also if I can get one would it be better to get a single or a small group of them? I don’t know much about Gouramis so thanks in advance for any answers I can get!

Leeman75

Assuming that your livebearer numbers are not in the dozens, I think you can absolutely do a Pearl Gourami. Mine are really very docile and peaceful fish.

I had 3 in a 55 gallon with a bunch of South American Cichlids and they were fine, except that they went after each other once in a while. I chalk that more up to all the big and semi-aggressive tankmates versus them. I have since moved two surviving into a 29 gallon tank, first with a short-term Severum and then by themselves, and now with 3 Keyholes. In a smaller tank but with much less crowding, I have never seen any aggression whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Jragan23

Assuming that your livebearer numbers are not in the dozens, I think you can absolutely do a Pearl Gourami. Mine are really very docile and peaceful fish.

I had 3 in a 55 gallon with a bunch of South American Cichlids and they were fine, except that they went after each other once in a while. I chalk that more up to all the big and semi-aggressive tankmates versus them. I have since moved two surviving into a 29 gallon tank, first with a short-term Severum and then by themselves, and now with 3 Keyholes. In a smaller tank but with much less crowding, I have never seen any aggression whatsoever.
Thanks! Do you think I’d be better off with just one or are would it be better to get 2-3?

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Thanks! Do you think I’d be better off with just one or are would it be better to get 2-3?

Well, it depends on your load of Livebearers. How many of those do you have?

Upvote 0

Jragan23

Well, it depends on your load of Livebearers. How many of those do you have?
I have a lot at the moment but I want to get it down to maybe just 6 platies.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I have a lot at the moment but I want to get it down to maybe just 6 platies.

I'd say get them down to the 6 and then you could probably add a 2-3.

Upvote 0

Jragan23

I'd say get them down to the 6 and then you could probably add a 2-3.
Ok thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Ok thanks for your help!
Just to chime in—you’ll almost for sure have to buy juveniles, and so you won’t be able to sex them for months. You can’t keep 2 males together, and you want at least 2 females to a male, so just keep those things in mind. I would get at least 3 maybe 4 to up your chances of getting the right ratio. If you end up getting 2 males, you’ll have to return one.

Upvote 0

Jragan23

Just to chime in—you’ll almost for sure have to buy juveniles, and so you won’t be able to sex them for months. You can’t keep 2 males together, and you want at least 2 females to a male, so just keep those things in mind. I would get at least 3 maybe 4 to up your chances of getting the right ratio. If you end up getting 2 males, you’ll have to return one.
Oh thanks I didn’t know that! Do you know how long it takes until you can tell them apart? I realize that may be hard to answer...

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Oh thanks I didn’t know that! Do you know how long it takes until you can tell them apart? I realize that may be hard to answer...
Of course! I want to say it’s like 4-6 months after you get them, depending on how old they are when you get them.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Not necessarily, though you're right about them being difficult to sex as juveniles. That's why I wound up with 7 males and 2 females in my 40 gallon breeder, but it's working okay so far. Of course having that many may just be spreading out the aggression, so it might not work with a smaller group.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies