Thinking about a African cichlid tank 200L

1. JDavies200 Member Member

Hi I've been thinking about changing my tank and stock to a African cichlid tank. I've read that cichlids should be slightly over stocked due to aggression. What would be a few good types to have in there to start and how many could I get in a 200L tank. All advises and pictures are greatly appreciated. P.s the yellow lab looks awesome so would def want him in there!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?
    LeoDiaz - sorry for calling on you so much today!

3. JDavies200 Member Member

100 cm X 40 cm X 55 cm it's a fluval Roma 200

4. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I would do a species only in tank that size. 1m to 6-7females yellow labs with some sand and a lot of rockwork

5. JDavies200 Member Member

I've read somewhere that you could have 15 or so 3 different types of 5. 1 m to 4 f. It's so confusing a difficult trying to research everyone says different. It wouldn't be for a few months yet.

6. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

3different types you can do in tank 283liters or bigger, and to do more then one species I recommend tanks bigger then 120cm long.

7. JDavies200 Member Member

Thanks for the advice. Something to consider in the future

8. JDavies200 Member Member

With a decent enough filter and a lot of rock work could I push this to 5 yellow lab and 5 acei 1 m to 4 female on both?

9. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

No, is not about filtration is about actual tank size they are agressive fish and need room to make there own territory and run away from agressive tank mates.

10. JDavies200 Member Member

Thanks for the advice I'm new to the world of cichlids and aquariums to be honest. Just love the colours of the yellow lab and acei.