Think this will hold that 20 long?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BigBlock, Jul 12, 2015.

1. B

BigBlock New Member Member

2. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Bigblock, this picture is concerning to me. I'm sure it can support the tank for some time, but the risk of the cabinet tipping over is concerning.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You know, I was thinking the same thing. You generally want the heaviest thing on the bottom to support the rest, like the foundation of a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I agree, that makes me very nervous. ...besides, how are you planning to clean/vacuum it way up there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Wow, the centre of gravity will be dangerously high, that's an accident waiting to happen. Tank maintanence would not be very easy either.

6. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I'll go easier than the others on you; Will it hold it. Nope:). Both trying to be funny ( tho no so much as the pic:) ) and truthful, with no intent at all to offend.
    You can believe me in that in have committed crimes again DIY projects numerous times, the last
    entailing 3 surgeries, and a skin graft, so I am only saying that I think your tank has as short half life there,
    while making fun of myself while at it:) that is, while I really do non think that your tank is well positioned, no worry, mate, there have benn mor eeriigious mistakes made, even in my typing---best to you, rick

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  7. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

That's a bad idea

8. OP
    OP
    B

Same concerns I had I can anchor the cabinet to the wall with a strap on the back side to prevent it from ever deciding to go Humpty Dumpty on me! And simple step stool as I'm pertty tall would be all I would need to vacuum in maintenance. I could fit it on a shelf in my hallway, but that's were my 20 high is I'll have to measure it but if I took out that middle shelf and movies I might be able to squeeze that tank on the bottom and put the 20 long in the hallways

9. DanB80TTS

If you swqueezed a 20h in there you would also have no room to work with it.
    If you really want to use that piece of furniture, I would take the whole shelf unit off of the cabinet and just put the 20L on the cabinet piece.. The 20L looks like a perfect fit, then you could get a piece of close matching wood, fit it to the bottom of the shelves you took off and make just a free standing shelf.

10. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

What concerns me is the lack of center support. You'd basically be putting close to over 200lbs on that thing. Is it solid wood or particle board? I'd opt to put the 20h in place of the movies and the 20l in the hallway. Much safe in my opinion. I am neurotic when it comes to stands for my tank and only use solid wood furniture or build my own stands. The stand I built for my 55g could easily support several times its weight, but peace of mind is always nice to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. DanB80TTS

I'm with you on the peace of mind, but I think in a tank this size, and how perfectly the size matches the furniture, the centre brace probably isn't a huge deal.

I am not a structural engineer but I'd say most the weight will be taken on the corners which would be over the vertical supports, tanks sit on their rim. As long as OP isn't going to be adding a ton of heavy rock, I'm sure my suggestion on modifying the cabinet would work.

The picture doesn't show the support as the floor though, but judging by the height I'd say it probably sits on a pretty sturdy base.

12. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks for all the help y'all I guess I'll do some head scratchin and think which way I want to go with it lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice