Think my garlic-soaking method is efficient? :/

juliaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just want to make sure that my fish are getting the benefits of garlic-soaked foods and I'm not making my nose suffer for no reason haha.

I don't have any garlic juice in my minced garlic jar so what I've been doing is putting the fish flakes/food in a small cup and then taking minced garlic and layered it on top thinking the juices from the minced garlic would soak into the food. I then let it sit for a few minutes, pour some water in, and let it sit for a bit longer. I then take the food out floating on the surface and feed it to my fish.

Another question I have though which may sound sort of silly :[ .. When I take the food out I'm really grabbing it with my fingers and dipping them into the water to get it in their >.> as you can imagine i hate doing it. Is there any other way to add the food to my fishs' tanks without hand-grabbing it and then dipping my finger into the water to get it in there haha? anybody have any generally easier/better ways of soaking their betta food? maybe i'm just stupid and can't see the obvious but yeah ... i don't have them in large tanks just 2/2.5 gallon bowls, so.

thanks!

EDIT, 5/31/10: one last question!: how often do you guys think i should feed my bettas garlic-soaked foods in order to give them the most benefit from the garlic?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that's what I do from time to time also, i think it works well. i usually use a small lid like from a soda bottle or a plastic spoon to soak the food in , then just dip the whole thing in the water.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use a spoon to scoop my fishies' garlic soaked bloodworms out.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use the end of a plastic knife to scoop out the food and put it in front of my bettas. They often grab onto the end of it if I'm not fast enough Once I half pulled one out of the water before I realized that he was still clinging to it! ;D

As for the garlic, I just put a tiny bit of garlic clove in a few ounces of water along with the pellets and leave it to sit for 20 mins or so.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just use my finger to feed them anything that might sink. Upside... It's fun and cute to have your bettas jumping for your finger and generally munching on it. Downside? When cleaning the tank you have a betta attacking your hand :3 Fear of the siphon vs love for food? Food wins

Found butter knives are good to use though. The bettas pull the food right off the knife.

Just had a revolutionary idea!!!
Nail cleaners/cuticle pushers.
They're usually wood, but they do come in plastic and metal. They're like skewers with little ends which curve and go into a point. Almost like a tiny spoon. It'd probably be great for betta feeding :O Cost a couple dollars from a supermarket or girly store or chemist.

juliaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ahh thank you all of you for the great suggestions! i'm just glad that i'm not the only one who does it this way haha

one last question!: how often do you guys think i should feed my bettas garlic-soaked foods in order to give them the most benefit from the garlic?

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I do it every time I give them pellets.... so usually every day, or every other day. Not really sure how often is necessary for the full benefit, but my one boy is a bit picky and likes his pellets with garlic! If I try without, he'll only eat a couple before starting to spit them back out

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What benefits do they get from eating garlic soaked food? I've never heard of that before

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It is said to be good for the immune system plus it acts as an appetite stimulator for fish, so can encourage picky eaters to actually eat!. Garlic is also good for us...

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sounds like a great idea, i've been looking for a way to improve/diversify my bettas diet (he currently gets Hikari bio-gold betta food, Hikari micro pellets which he shares with my white clouds, freeze dried blood worms every few days and an occasional finely chopped cooked pea for digestion - i'm not game enough for live food as i've heard bad things about disease and i don't want him to get sick!).

Will definitely try the garlic soak. Is it ok for my white clouds too? I also have a mystery snail who eats sunken leftovers, is garlic ok for snails?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads