Think I'm Losing Another Fish :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by AJ34, Aug 23, 2019.

1. AJ34

AJ34Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    Well last week I lost my dwarf puffer suddenly and now my HMDT is acting very lethargic laying on the bottom of the tank. I think he is dying. I did a water change and a few hours later, he seems not good. I changed the tank next to his and that fish is seemingly fine. He has been dealing with some fin rot that is very persistent. Also I figure him to be about 2 or 2.5 years old. Ugh why does it all happen at once? Things were going so good for a while. I lowered the water a little so he can get to the top and also in case it maybe got contaminated but like I said his neighbor fish seems good. I'll keep updates of course but I'm pretty sure he is a goner just based on what I am seeing. :(

2. newbettagus

newbettagusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    Good luck.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,198
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Best of luck

4. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    He’s a little more active since the water change. He looked like he dead/ sinking to the bottom. He could have been in shock from something .Or I dunno maybe he was just deep sleeping because of his older age. He seems to using the plants to rest so I will just keep his water level where it is and go day by day.

5. Debbie1986

Debbie1986Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +98
    Good luck.

6. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    He totally bounced back! I'm not sure if it was treatment for fin rot or I got something in the water but he is back to his old self! Man I was really worried!

7. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,198
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That's great news!

8. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +698
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    By far the most common reason for fish having health problems is the condition of the water. Water test readings are always the first place to look if you sense trouble. Do you have a test kit? What are you readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

The fact that your fish perked up after you did a water change would tend to confirm that toxin levels are your problem. To keep the fish health and keep the problems from returning, focus on water test readings and doing as many water changes as necessary to keep your levels where you want them.

9. Debbie1986

Debbie1986Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +98
    Good to hear it. If the fish had fin rot and now this issue, I'd do more frequent water changes. Are you cleaning decor? Take out decor, use aquarium salts on it and rinse. 1x a month. because I'm doing the water change, it's safe to put back in because of the new de-chlorine in tank. Makes a huge difference.

10. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have not tried cleaning decor in aquarium salt will have to try that! I do frequent water changes. He bites his tail so it’s an ongoing process with keeping the water clean and tail from infections . I think it is just a burden to him so he bites it.

I agree that’s usually the case but I have quite a few Bettas so I do test. 0,0, <5.0
    Said Betta is a HMDT crown or comb tail. Short body with heavy finnage, bites his tail so it’s prone to rot. I do frequent water changes, use stressguard, have used antibiotics once or twice, it’s an on going and persistent issue.

Anyhow his issue came right after a water change. It was like he couldn’t breathe was almost passed out if you will. I suspect I had lotion or hand sanitizer on my hands still that got in his water. I submerged my hand in his tank but not the other tank I did at same time . I forgot I had applied hand sanitizer and then lotion...this was my mistake. Im glad I noticed and did another large water change.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2019