Think Im Done With 50 Gallon Planted Tank. Any Suggestions?

1. J

Jeremy Pearce Initiate Member

I’ve posted here before for suggestions, and after thinking for a while about what I liked and what I didn’t, I decided to get a large piece of driftwood for my 50 gallon. Plant wise, I have: Dwarf baby tears, Anubius, Java moss, Madagascar lace plant, Java fern windelov, and what I believe to be Cryptocoryne undulata. Side note: I am not doing CO2 because I have heard stories about shrimp getting killed by it, and I have some blue velvet shrimp. Please feel free to tell me your likes/dislikes, and any suggestions. Thanks in advance :)
    02E8DCC5-9246-4076-9EF1-E9BBE33107A3.jpeg
    FAE198AA-75F6-4BB2-AE03-87FF30A2B457.jpeg
    26205DFC-162C-4D1C-B1C0-4B53E0B40491.jpeg
    CB95EF63-C9DF-46B3-914A-175A06DB6100.jpeg

2. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Love the driftwood and it looks awesome! I'd probably add more plants, but I really like heavily planted tanks :)

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Looks nice! I might add more plants, particularly around the base of the wood and the rock on the far right.

As an aside, you might have issues with the dwarf baby tears without CO2 and a stronger light, but dwarf sag or S. repens might be good carpeting plants for you.

4. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I like it.

It will fill in when your plants grow but I agree with more plants, even float some.

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I thought by the title that you were fed up with it and giving up. lol
    Very nice looking!

6. Dila415

Dila415 Member Member

I did too lol

7. Albifrons

Albifrons Member Member

I think it would be cool if you threw some kind of carpeting plant in there, I'm a big fan of those. When they're fully grown in they always pop they're so green!

8. RSababady

RSababady Well Known Member Member

Nice tank - opinions are really a shout out for preference, but since I have one, I will too join the conversation :)
    I find the tank somewhat cold in its looks due to the dark substrate and white LED lighting. It would be nice to have some centerpiece color like red water hedge. The driftwood tends to darken in time too, so it will move out of the focal point.

I personally don't like moss growing too close to the substrate and prefer it on the ends of branches to form a sort of cap or topping, that can be trimmed into any shape you want - just like a hedge in the garden.

Last thing is the equipment in the right hand corner - I don't like seeing the technicalities of the hobby so visible, so personally would recommend an Amazon Sword or Contortion Val.

9. RKnight13

RKnight13 Initiate Member

I agree! Although CO2 may be needed to get it lush! Try some Cuba plants in there, I struggled growing it but I’m not properly set up substrate wise for crawlers! Great tank though, can’t wait to see what it looks like when it matures!

10. Albifrons

Albifrons Member Member

Another reason I really love carpeting plants is when they're established, really contrasting fish, like cardinal tetras (which I see you have in there) really pop. Their colors, in my opinion, become about 50% brighter!

11. OP
    OP
    J

Jeremy Pearce Initiate Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, I was thinking about adding a red plant to stand out, most likely in the middle of the three rocks behind the driftwood. I was thinking about getting Alternanthera reineckii, and I was wondering if y’all think I should keep the rocks where they are and plant in the middle of them, or totally remove them and plant where they used to be. I too would like to have a more filled in look, so any other suggestions for plants would be greatly appreciated. As a final note, I have gravel as substrate and all my current plants seem to do fine, but if I’m getting any new plants, I want to be sure they will be able to tolerate it too. Thanks :)