Think I just bought some expensive snacks

1. S

SkunkMunkey3000 New Member Member

Hi guys,

Think I might have made a bit of a mistake today and have ended up buying some expensive snacks for my tanks! I went to my LFS this morning as I needed some new bulbs and some frozen food. I ended up coming away with the bulbs and food and also some new plants and 11 Copper Rasbora (Hengeli, I think).

I didn't even initially intend on going into the fish room since that can prove dangerous to my wallet however the store has helpfully moved their freezers in there instead of by the tills. I'd been wondering about getting some mid-level dither fish before but was trying to hold off. Of course once I'm in the fish room I have to have a look around and spotted a large group of Copper Rasbora, the colouring on them is fantastic and thought they would really suit the improved lighting from the new bulbs. I came away with 11 of the little guys (paid for 10 but got an extra free).

Anyway, I got them acclimatised while I was sorting out the new plants and bulbs. I thought they might be at risk from my angels but was hoping that they might just be big enough not to fit in the angels mouths - WRONG - as soon as I released them into the tank an angel comes over and sucks one straight up! This seems to be the only one I've lost to the angels, the others seem to have got the hint and can move faster and seem to be out of the way. Annoyingly however, I am now down to only 7 of the little guys. It turns out that my kribs seem to like to prey on them too. I hadn't really considered the kribs being a problem, they rarely go above the halfway point of the tank and tend to stick to themselves. The kribs can't even take a whole Rasbora, 2 have been killed and just left to float while the third was eaten (by 3 kribs).

I feel a bit bad for the little Rasbora, I don't have a spare tank that I can put them in and the shop will close soon and I don't have enough time to get there before that.

I presume pretty soon all the Rasbora will be gone, it's a shame really as they're very nice looking little fish but I guess you live and learn.

On the upside, the tank is starting to look really good - In additon the the Anubias I already had, I've now added an Amazon Sword and some Java Fern into the tank and am hoping it will progress well even in a low-tech situation.

I've attached a couple of pictures, both of the (remaining) Rasbora's and the tank overall.

DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0013.JPG

2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

if you have a divider or access to a different store it might help

3. BlackNotebookTanks

BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Put them In a fish baggie over night and take them back to the store first thing tomorrow morning! Thats the only thing I can think of... or even a breeder net or box? Something that will section off these guys, from the rest. Hopefully they are alright soon.

4. OP
    OP
    S

I've got up ths morning and there's 5 of the little guys left, I'm about to try to bag them up and take them back to the store.

5. Bellatrix

Bellatrix Valued Member Member

I wish people would do research first. That's unnecessary loss of life.

6. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

That's pretty harsh. Judging by the size of his angels, I would've guessed they wouldn't be eaten. I also wouldn't think kribs would do that either.

Not everyone is well equipped to deal with a surprise situation, even with research.

7. Bellatrix

It's not harsh.

Maybe asking the fish store workers? Not buying fish on impulse? Which he did. So evidently he did no research.

I'm sorry if I'm stepping on toes here but those fish died for his ignorance unnecessary.

8. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

And? Research will tell you that angels eat what they can fit in their mouths. I don't see anyone pulling their angel out and telling it to say "aaaaaahhh" to measure it.

He learned something the hard way. Everyone does at one point or another.

Not to mention the people who feed live fish to other fish. That's not cruel because it's a meal, but an accident is so horrible?

9. Bellatrix

Research also tells you that angels are rather aggressive fish. So why would you risk it? It's like having a dog that may or may not eat a rabbit yet still getting the rabbit. You wouldn't do it. But because they're fish.. It's perfectly OK to toy with their lives?

Also I don't like feeding live fish to other fish. There's alternatives so I do think it's a bit cruel yes.

God forbid anyone have a different opinion on this forum!

10. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Are you thinking of trying a different species of fish as a dither? Perhaps the size of the Rasboras or maybe even their colouration was attractive to your larger fish. I would also recommend getting some taller plants or floaters.

Sorry for your losses x

11. OP
    OP
    S

Don't worry bellatrix, I haven't taken any offence from your opinion, and agree it was a bit harsh on the rasboras and I don't feel good for doing it. Yes, I did by them on a bit of a whim however at the same time I did feel that they would be okay, I'd considered the angels but thought they were big enough not to be eaten - I didn't realise the angels could open their mouths that much. I admit I hadn't really considered the kribs but then again they've never paid any attention to any of the other fish and never normally go more than half way up the tank, even at feeding time.

I feel this lesson has been learnt albeit in a less than ideal way.

The remaining rasboras went back to the shop this morning.

12. Bellatrix

Good. I'm glad to hear it, love.

I suppose it's just me being a vegan that I think the live feeding of fish to bigger fish is unnecessary when they're other alternatives.

But I'm glad they others are safe now.

13. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Let's not judge people on mistakes they may have made.

SkunkMunkey3000 Sorry to hear how things turned out.