Think I Finally Got My Tank To Cycle...

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
So came home this afternoon to my new sponge filter went over kill and got one for a 60gallon tank. So now I have a penguin 200 with 2 cartridge(which has been going for a month now) and bio wheel and the sponge filter. So I put the sponge filter in had ever so slightly green water which was what ever. Went to docs for a few hrs came home to do my weekly water change and boom my water was turning clear! So I think I figured out my algae problem! Between to much light and. Not enough filtration(move the tank to a room with no direct sunlight ).Well did my five gallon (17%) water change like normal and didn’t think much of it. Well got to thinking on testing my water cause I’ve been trying to cycle my tank for a while now. Well tested my amonia got 0 thought huh that interesting cause I added safestart last Thursday to help. Well I must have some nitrite then figuring it’s starting to cycle well nope that’s at zero to. Well huh interesting. So I checked for nitrate and low and behold it’s looks like its at 10! So I’m wondering if it cycled finally? Water is looking good and all the fish seem active and happen. (2sml gold fish and 2 plecos ) yeah I’m looking for a new home for them tank is to small I know. So I’m wondering if the safe start plus helped boost the bacteria that I had in the tank to develop. Or maybe I’m in a mini cycle I’m gonna watch the tank closely for a while.But I’m excited I hope I’m heading the right way!
Image1525997880.523990.jpg

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
YAY! it sounds like you are indeed cycled... you may want to test your ammonia and nitrite every other day until your next weekly water change. then you can think about adding more fish.

remember, your bacteria have grown to the bio load of the ammonia they eat. that's from your few fish/what you feed them and the safe start. if others on here tell you to add more fish sooner because your bacteria have grown to a bigger amount with safe start and will need more ammonia as food sooner, listen to them as i have no experience with TSS.

but anyway! yay!

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
Jenoli42 said:
YAY! it sounds like you are indeed cycled... you may want to test your ammonia and nitrite every other day until your next weekly water change. then you can think about adding more fish.

remember, your bacteria have grown to the bio load of the ammonia they eat. that's from your few fish/what you feed them and the safe start. if others on here tell you to add more fish sooner because your bacteria have grown to a bigger amount with safe start and will need more ammonia as food sooner, listen to them as i have no experience with TSS.

but anyway! yay!
I may add a couple this coming week. I’m gonna take it slow thou I don’t want to rush to quickly. Nighttime lighting for an hr or so before completely dark. Total light time 5 hrs

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom