Things Went From Worse To Horrible

1. ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish Member Member

my betta now has icht. i dont have medicine. its just two spots so i upet the temp to 80f.
    is that right?
    i added a an aquarium decor/rock thing and it was in there before i realised that it was in the tank my dad had before and that tank had a dropsy out break. te ornament was hollowand had water in it from the old tank. about 5-6 monthes ago. i dont have the medicine or the money right now . the ornament ws in the for 15-25 minutes. what shuold i do?!!!!!

please help.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Your Betta did not get ICH in 15 minutes. Most likely the ICH parasites were already in the tank but due to water quality issues your Betta was under stress which allowed them to get a hold. You need to reduce his stress first and foremost by fixing the water.

Did you at least dump out the old water from the ornament before putting it in your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

i empted the water out monthes ago but its bacteria. yes i know he didnt get itch that fast i just noticed now. im wondering if bacteria has a long life span or if it went dorment and got into my water. drpsys bacteria right?

4. Aquaphobia

Not necessarily. It can be but it can also be a sign of organ failure or other diseases. It really comes down to keeping your fish healthy so he has a strong immune system and the best chance to fight off opportunistic infections himself.

5. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Bettas should be kept at 80f regularly. Anything below that will make them susceptible to infection. Raise the temp to 90ish for two weeks and the ich should disappear. Keep up on daily water changes.

6. Aquaphobia

The only thing that worries me about that is the 3-4ppm ammonia in the tap water. Isn't it the case that ammonia is more toxic at higher temperatures?

7. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Where did the OP state he had ammonia of 3-4ppm? maybe I missed it.

8. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

It's ok. Please post a pic of this ich. Dropsy is not a bacteria. Dropsy is a symptom that can be caused by many things. The ornament is not the likely issue, here. If you have 3-4 ppm ammonia in your tap, that could be a problem. Do you have your current parameters? What temperature was your betta at before? Any tankmates? Tank size?

9. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

i posted earlyer about bad tap water. within a few weeks ill have horn wortand root tabs ,i removed the gravel uped the heat to 85f and added a airiator stone, will that help? hes starting to do better ish he more active.

i also added stress coat.

10. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

so confused , I'm only getting half the information , does your Betta have dropsy?

normaly for ich just raise temp to 86f ad an airstone and within a week or so it should be good in some cases you can use little amount of aquarium salt.

11. Aquaphobia

More activity is not necessarily a sign of better health. Metabolism in some fish is temperature dependent. Higher temperature=more active.

You need to deal with the ammonia problem quickly, getting plants in a few weeks is not going to be soon enough because he could well be dead by then.

12. filtered_light

filtered_light Member Member

Wow I thought my tap water was bad at 0.5-1ppm. Hope your fish gets better!

13. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Really if you want help here, you are going to have to post more information. Good luck!

14. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

My tap water has some ammonia and I treat it with Seachem AmGurard. Once you get rid of the Ammonia that will help a lot.

15. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You should definitely have any tank with a betta in it set to 80 as the normal temp. You need to turn it up to 86-89 for the ich to cure. Also you need to do daily gravel vacuuming to get rid of any spores that fall to the floor before they can reattach.