Things to make caves out of

kra-z-fishmumm
some things you all have used to provide caves for your fishies? Just wanted some ideas,,,like if there are any house hold things (i.e. not having to go out and pay for it) that could be used as a cave or hiding areas. Thanks

King_Snuggles
pots for plants

susitna-flower
I like to use clean clay flower pots, most of mine though are rocks carefully stacked. It is important to be very careful doing this however, first that the rocks are aquarium safe, and that if they are not flat, that you glue them together with aquarium safe silicone. I have used slate and other rocks that are flat and not subject to being dislodged easily.....wouldn't want to squish a fish!

kra-z-fishmumm
anything special to done with the clay pots? I have lots of those (left over craft things) little clay pots.

luna
I'm using a little mug, with the handle buried in substrate.

susitna-flower
anything special to done with the clay pots? I have lots of those (left over craft things) little clay pots.

If they are new, never used, just rinse them off....IF they have had plants in them, I'd boil them before you use in aquarium, to get as much fertilizer off as you can.....also many times chemicals are used in plant pots that would be harmful in a tank...new would be best.

tkfury
I know a few people around here have turned the cups their bettas came in into caves.

rileyrk190
I have siliconed river rocks to pvc before..but another cheap method is siliconing lava rocks together.. you can get a big bag at lowes for 3 bucks in the grill section. My gourami, and silver dollars love to hide in the caves created by stacking.

King_Snuggles
I have siliconed river rocks to pvc before..but another cheap method is siliconing lava rocks together.. you can get a big bag at lowes for 3 bucks in the grill section. My gourami, and silver dollars love to hide in the caves created by stacking.

cool idea I never though of that. I'm so doing that for my next tank then everything will be natural real driftwood, plants, sand, and now caves! sweet!

Angela_96
well, I only used this because of the species of fish in my tanks, and I wouldn't recommend this for any other species we gathered rocks/stones from the local lake while it was down to lower levels during the winter time (we live in TN and they lower the TVA lakes in the winter) so that I could have real rift rocks for my cichlids, and they have rock caves. so I decorated my tank for free. the rocks in my area are mostly sandstone and limestone and will raise the ph, so I wouldn't recommend them for any fish unless you are needing those water conditions.

Coryd55
PVC, Rocks, Cups(no dishwasher), pots. That's all I can think of.

KonaBoy
Currently, I have a cave made out of Duplo (if you had kids, chances are you had Duplo), and in my Betta tank, Poe has a white plastic beer cup cave. A tip for the Duplo (or Lego), is to build it underwater, so that all the air is out of it? Even though I did that, I still need to keep a rock on top to keep it on the bottom. Have a good one eh,

Cory

kra-z-fishmumm
Thanks for all the great ideas!

Calamity Jane
We bought a reptile cave and it works great in the tank.

It looks like this:

and only cost about $6.

mrsmuffin
Oooh, I like the reptile cave... I think that I am going to go natural looking as much as I can in the tank I am about to set up.

kra-z-fishmumm
We bought a reptile cave and it works great in the tank.

It looks like this:

and only cost about $6.

That looks cool.

COBettaCouple
We've used the little hamster igloos for caves.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies
Views
ValerieAdams
Replies