Things No One Told Me About Firebelly Toads

1. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I lucked out and found firebellies yesterday. It turns out suppliers are weather conscious this time of year and consequently amphibians and reptiles can be in short supply.

I ended up with two pairs. Which is good. The one male is a bit of a sex pest, and when he makes his courting call it sounds like a middling size dog barking out in the yard just out of sight.

It was driving my dogs nuts, because they couldn't see the interloper. I have no idea why the acoustics bounced the sound the way they did, but it was funny all the same.

They are absolutely voracious. I put 20 or so crickets in the tank with them yesterday afternoon when I brought them home. Today, there wasn't a single cricket left, and a feeder guppy became breakfast because it swam straight up to one of the toads. Darwin in action!

The local big box carries wingless fruit flies. I'm seeiously kicking around the idea of picking some up to culture. It will make the pitcher plants happy, and give everyone else something to hunt.

Other updates as I find out for myself things I didn't come across in my reading.

Attached Files:

2. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

My mom had some of these in her preschool classroom till the place said animals won't be allowed anymore. I forgot about the noises those little guys made! They are a really fun pet to have. :)

3. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Those are freaking cute. Now I want one but where oh where would I put one

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I hear Petco is having one of those sales ...

They are cute. Their food is less so. If only they could be trained to eat frozen.

5. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Maybe if you tong fed them since movement triggers them

6. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Maybe. The literature says otherwise. I tried waving bloodworms at them yesterday and was met with complete indifference.

Oh well. Today I set up a wingless fruitfly and a red wiggler colony, and bought enough crickets to use my keeper. Now I just need to figure out how to breed them in quantities of less than a thousand.

7. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

They LOVE water. Not just dip their toes in the shallows either. Although they are a bit like bettas in that if there is a wide leaf to prop themselves on, they will happily do so.

They are always hungry. The every other day feeding regime is making me feel a bit guilty.