Things I Might Have Forgot To Order?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Z123Killer, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

So this is my first aquarium and I have purchased the main stuff already and currently making another order for the smaller stuff. These are the items I currently have and I would like to know if I am missing something.

Items:
    Tank
    Filter
    Heater
    Thermometer
    Air Pump
    Air Tubing
    Air decorations
    Filter Media
    TSS+
    API Master Test Kit
    Fish Net
    Fish Food
    Water Conditioner
    Light
    Measuring Syringe
    Substrate

Am I missing anything?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Ordered substrate too, forgot to include it. Thanks though.

4. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

No problem. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

6. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

What are you using for your filter media? The filter itself does come with inserts, but I would suggest adding some other media. Maybe ceramic rings or filter floss. Something like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

8. OP
    OP
    Z

I will be adding Matrix. What else would you recommend? My filter is the Aqueon Quietflow 75.

9. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Matrix is a good one from what I hear. I ended up searching YouTube for filter media ideas and instructions. I've just recently started making all my own media using prefilter sponges, filter floss, ceramic rings, and carbon. The carbon is probably unnecessary, but I am keeping it in its own bag, so am planning on going without it in my new tank. I also have crushed coral in my filter because of pH issues. Filter floss is literally pillow batting you can get at Walmart. It acts more like a water polisher. Gets any tiny bits that the rest of your sponges or mesh doesn't get. But it is a perfect media for growing bacteria.

So I guess my one suggestion would be empty media bags to put the matrix in. Or anything else you decide to add to your filter. Keeps the "rocks" or solid bits from falling into your motor or making a mess of your tank.

Edit: Ohhh and I would probably get an air flow control valve to use with your air bubbler decoration. My bubbler falls over if the air pressure is too high. They are super easy to use and can be an overlooked item too.

10. Civanna

Civanna Valued Member Member

Fish

11. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

I'm a big fan of zeolite as filter media (needs to be changed regularly like carbon, I use both mixed together), but that's just me (it isn't necessary).. I find I can go a long time without doing water changes using it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice