Question Things About Betta

Sambit

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently i got a Betta for my new Planted tank(Cycle complete, its been almost 2 months). The betta is doing pretty good. When i got him, he was in a plastic pouch (It was pretty sad to see him like that). Now he is happy in my tank, always playing around. But as i m new to betta keeping, i have some questions.

1) I m giving him Hikari betta bio gold to eat (3-4 each time, 2 times a day). So wanted to know ,is that amount enough? Im planing to give him blood worm as treat on sundays xD
2) Sometimes he goes to the bottom of the tank and sleeps on the grass or plant. Is that normal?
3) Sometimes he if going against the water flow caused by the spray bar which is set as the lowest flow. Is he having fun or struggling? because there are a lot of room where he can move around without getting on the flow.
4) The tank don't has a cover. So is there a possibility that he will jump out of the tank?
5) Can i add some other fish compatible with Betta? Plz recommend some.

Sry for asking a lot of question.

Attachments

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1. I’d limit the feeding to once a day or feed 2 in the morning and one at night. 8 pellets a day is a lot and I could see it potentionally causing problems, unless they are very small. Remember the Bettas eye is about the size of their stomach and most foods puff up a little when in water.
2. He’s just resting, that’s normal. My Betta typically sleeps either behind the driftwood or the rocks on the substrate.
3. Some fish do enjoy the “infinity pool” created by out flows, so if he’s doing this consistently when he has plenty of less tubulent areas to swim, I doubt it’s of any concern.
4. There is always that possibility. Some Bettas do, some don’t. My blind Betta is in a topless tank and has never attampted to jump.
5. What size tank? There doesn’t seem to be enough coverage in this tank for a community and if it’s anything less than a 20 long I would not suggest it. It’s also a 75/25 chance he’ll end up hating them or the other way around (I say 75/25 because a lot of Bettas have no issues at first then a few month later do).

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
1. That feeding schedule is perfectly fine
2. That is perfectly normal, I'd bet money you could add a taller, big leafed plant, and he'd sleep there sometimes too
3. If there's lots of room to easily go around the flow, he's most likely just having fun in the current
4. Any healthy fish can jump. How high comes down to each specific fish, but if it's been like that the whole time, I think he's going to stay in the water where he belongs
5. What size tank, and what temperature do you have it at? There's lots of good fish

Sambit

Reaction score
Platylover said:
1. I’d limit the feeding to once a day or feed 2 in the morning and one at night. 8 pellets a day is a lot and I could see it potentionally causing problems, unless they are very small. Remember the Bettas eye is about the size of their stomach and most foods puff up a little when in water.
2. He’s just resting, that’s normal. My Betta typically sleeps either behind the driftwood or the rocks on the substrate.
3. Some fish do enjoy the “infinity pool” created by out flows, so if he’s doing this consistently when he has plenty of less tubulent areas to swim, I doubt it’s of any concern.
4. There is always that possibility. Some Bettas do, some don’t. My blind Betta is in a topless tank and has never attampted to jump.
5. What size tank? There doesn’t seem to be enough coverage in this tank for a community and if it’s anything less than a 20 long I would not suggest it. It’s also a 75/25 chance he’ll end up hating them or the other way around (I say 75/25 because a lot of Bettas have no issues at first then a few month later do).
Thx for your answer. The pellets are pretty small.I think even micro pellets are bigger than this xD Mine is a 5 gallon, so i m forgetting about adding any other fish...haha

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don’t have all your answers but if u have a specific spot you feed him u can get a betta leaf and suction cup it a couple inches below the water line and he will probably hang there till he sees you they have a labyrinth organ which allows them to breath fresh air so being able to rest at the they will appreciate it . Any fish can potentially jump out without a lid . Depending on the tank size it’s usually best to add snails sometimes shrimp but others have kept with a variety of fish... good luck !

Sambit

Reaction score
nikm128 said:
1. That feeding schedule is perfectly fine
2. That is perfectly normal, I'd bet money you could add a taller, big leafed plant, and he'd sleep there sometimes too
3. If there's lots of room to easily go around the flow, he's most likely just having fun in the current
4. Any healthy fish can jump. How high comes down to each specific fish, but if it's been like that the whole time, I think he's going to stay in the water where he belongs
5. What size tank, and what temperature do you have it at? There's lots of good fish
Thx for your answer. Mine is a 5 gallon and with 25-26 C temp and as its starting to get summer here, the temperature is increasing later on. is temperature increase is bad for them? If yes then what to do ?

Yup i will drop the idea of adding any other fish. I will add some shrimp after the plant have grown some more.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Actually warmer is better, 26C is about 78F, and they do best at around 80F or ~27C

My only suggestion for shrimp, is to get larger ones. If they're small enough the betta could try to eat them and choke

Sambit

Reaction score
nikm128 said:
Actually warmer is better, 26C is about 78F, and they do best at around 80F or ~27C

My only suggestion for shrimp, is to get larger ones. If they're small enough the betta could try to eat them and choke
Thx a lot

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello, welcome to fishlore, and what a beautiful tank!

1. I don't disagree with your feeding schedule, as I normally give my bettas three pellets twice a day and they are fed until their stomach is gently rounded off.
2. Normal, bettas also like to rest near the surface, which is why I recommend multiple places for them to go to rest whenever they need to.
3. It takes some time for all fish to realize where the stronger current is, and some fish will try to go into it on purpose, flow is healthy for bettas as it strengthens their fins and caudal peduncle.
4. I never had a betta jump out of the tank, and I do not have lids on any of my tanks, but don't take my word that they won't, anything is possible.
5. If you have a ten gallon or larger, then you can get some shrimp or snails, but the betta may have a taste to chase and eat colorful looking shrimp. I don't recommend fish unless your tank is at least 20 gallons.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sambit said:
Thx for your answer. The pellets are pretty small.I think even micro pellets are bigger than this xD Mine is a 5 gallon, so i m forgetting about adding any other fish...haha
Ah ok, I figured they’d be larger. If they’re that small that feeding should be adequate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom