Thin White Worms On Glass

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't tell if they are planaria or something else. I really hope they aren't planaria, since it is a shrimp tank. It seems like i have run into so many problems since switching the shrimp to their new tank. I barely add any extra food to the tank since the colony is small and there is plenty of algae/biofilm. I have added Bacter AE about once a week.

They seem thinner than planaria, but the internet tells me detritus worms live in the substrate, not on the glass.

-small, white worms on the glass
-slightly thicker than a hair
-longest one is almost half a centimeter, but most are much shorter than that.

Any input on what i am dealing with here? Are they harmless nematodes or evil flatworms that will prowl on my shrimplets?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ive seen detritus worms climbing on the glass. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it.

Stoka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive seen detritus worms climbing on the glass. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it.
Agree. Planarians have distinctly triangular heads with visible eye spots, not easily mistaken. My shrimp only tanks have detritus worms and rhabdocoela worms on the glass as well. In a tank with fish you rarely see them as they are a tasty snack.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom