Thicklip Gourami Agression

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys,
Recently my male Honey Gourami passed away (rip Sol) and since then my female thicklip gourami has been all sorts of insanely aggressive, I had let it pass when she was chasing my Harlequin Rasboras around, but tonight she grabbed a panda cory by the tail and that’s an absolute no, they are my favorites. Does anyone have any idea as to why the aggression started? Water parameters are 0,0,10-20, so I am really at a dead end

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys,
Recently my male Honey Gourami passed away (rip Sol) and since then my female thicklip gourami has been all sorts of insanely aggressive, I had let it pass when she was chasing my Harlequin Rasboras around, but tonight she grabbed a panda cory by the tail and that’s an absolute no, they are my favorites. Does anyone have any idea as to why the aggression started? Water parameters are 0,0,10-20, so I am really at a dead end
I bet she is missing her buddy ☹ They like to be in company of their own

My advice would be, try to rearrange the tank and/or getting her a new male

tetratetris

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it continues and or gets worse you could always move it to a diffrent tank or give away. Although that is sorta a last resort imo.

Hope my unhelpful help helps

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got a gourami sold as a “red honey gourami “ that I eventually figured out was a thick lipped gourami. It was too aggressive for my tank & had to be returned. If having 2 gives you a better attitude maybe try that? Sorry

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i ended up rehoming peach this morning, I couldn’t bring myself to get anymore gourami after losing my honey, Sol was my pride and joy, and I couldn’t have Peach (the thicklip in question) hurting my cories. It was the first fish I have ever had to rehome, and I feel terrible about it, My guilty conscious is eating me alive. But my LFS put her in one of the tanks that they sell plants from, so I know that she’s is going to be happy and healthy, but for some reason I can’t get past feeling like a terrible fish parent. Thank you all for the help

tetratetris

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i ended up rehoming peach this morning, I couldn’t bring myself to get anymore gourami after losing my honey, Sol was my pride and joy, and I couldn’t have Peach (the thicklip in question) hurting my cories. It was the first fish I have ever had to rehome, and I feel terrible about it, My guilty conscious is eating me alive. But my LFS put her in one of the tanks that they sell plants from, so I know that she’s is going to be happy and healthy, but for some reason I can’t get past feeling like a terrible fish parent. Thank you all for the help
I think you used your best judgement and made the right decision. These things can happen to all of us. I think peach and you corries will be happy . Rehoming when needed when needed shouldn't make you a horrible fish parent, in this situation if anything it makes you a better fish parent then possibly keeping peach with the corries.

Hope everything improves

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry you are feeling bad. Sounds like you made the best decision you could.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom