Thick Lip Gourami Has Bump Near Anus

bcfishtanks

Hi, everyone,

My thick lip has been acting weird the last few days. I added a new female honey to the tank, which upset the hierarchical balance. Something weird happened earlier in the week where my thick lip may have thrown up (?). Then, one of my males got aggressive because he had a mating partner, so I thought that was upsetting my thick lip. Yesterday, I fasted everyone because my water has been cloudy for months and I finally realized it might be the food (it is), and she was grumpy then, too. She had clearish poop, but I read that can happen on fasting days (could be wrong. I just started routinely fasting them)

Today, she had this bump by her anus. She's eating, but she has been swimming slower lately and feeling more shy (though she still interacts with my other two honeys). Any ideas what it is and if there's a way to help her?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm (heavily planted, though I know it doesn't look like it in the pictures!)

The 30g tank has been running for over a year. The newest addition was my female honey who I had treated for parasites. I also did a levamisole treatment in the main tank for good measure, too. I've had this thick lip since October 2021, and she had no health issues until recently. She had lymphocystis a month ago, but recovered within a week.

What do you think is going on? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220704_071055.jpg
    20220704_071055.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220704_071057.jpg
    20220704_071057.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220704_071058.jpg
    20220704_071058.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 8

A201

I can't determine much from the pics. Whenever a female fish swells near the anus or vent, my first thought is usually some type of prolapse.
That might not be the issue in this case, but if it is, the situation has to run its course. No applicable meds.

bcfishtanks

Thank you. She's looking pretty rough now. Bad color, clamped fins, a little swollen. She can still swim, though. Will fasting help?

A201

It sounds more like an intestinal infection of some sort.
Fasting her is about all that can be done. That might allow time for her to eliminate whatever is in her digestive tract. I wish I could be of more help.

bcfishtanks

All right, she's still up and swimming today. I'm fasting her. Her personality has come back a bit more and she's not bloated anymore, but her fins are still clamped, and she still has that bump in the previous pictures. She finally gave me a good view of her underside while she was picking at some wisteria. She has two holes (as I'm sure most female fish do). I'm assuming one is for egg production or urination and the other is the anus. I cannot, for the life of me, find a diagram of gourami anatomy, so I don't know which hole is which. The one closer to the front of her body is where the swelling is concentrated around. Can anyone help me identify which of her internal systems is likely affected? Thanks! That'll help me decide next steps.

A201

The vent is directly in front of the analfin. The anus is the opening closer to the middle.

bcfishtanks

Update: she's doing much better. She had exactly one normal poop yesterday, and I haven't noticed anymore clear poop. She's back to her old self with no clamped fins today and just a little bit of swelling by her anus. I'm keeping an eye on her, but I'm glad that it seems all she needed was time to work out whatever her issue is. I'm continuing to fast this tank every other day until her swelling goes down completely.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Huckleberry77
Replies
Views
Chewbacca773
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
10 Gallon Tank Red honey/thick lip
Replies