They're at it again

1. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Doing my usual morning head count I noticed a lot of activity in a couple of my tanks but the most busy is the one with the adult Oto's in.
    They're spawning again for the 6th time in a couple of months!
    The funniest thing is the habrosus are zooming round with them, maybe they'll get the idea to spawn as well, they haven't yet for me but they're still young.
    I'll try & get some pics of the eggs, if I can find them, when they've finished spawning.

2. celizabethh3 Member Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does a morning head count!

My peppered Cory keeps laying eggs but no fry yet. I hope you get some baby Oto's and the habrosus get the hint too. ;) Can't wait to see pictures!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I can't see where they've hidden the eggs this time, they must've got wise to me collecting them.
    Some of the fry from previous spawns.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Nice! You've got tank-bred otos, then? Did you buy them as tank-bred? Do you know what their preferred spawning conditions are?

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The parents I assume were wild caught as they came from an Lfs, I've had these ones a couple of years & this is the first year I've seen them spawn, this is their 6th spawn now.
    I don't do anything special to encourage them, they're kept with corys at around 24c in soft water 6.8, no nitrites or ammonia & about 10 nitrates.
    The tank is mature having been running for years, is planted & has wood & a good covering of algae for them, I also give them courgette which they love. I do twice weekly water changes & usual tank maintenance, apart from that I leave them to it.
    I've yet to find out whether they're seasonal spawners, in a way I hope they are or I'm going to need another tank!
    I have around 20 fry of various ages from their previous spawns all doing well.

6. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I think that's great that they've done so well for you! :D You must be really pleased at how *at home* they feel.