They're almost here!

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yesterday I changed my tank water, hoping my guppies would enjoy it.

This morning I thought I saw something swimming along the glass.

I did. It was a fry! :D

I put mommy in the breeder box because she hides behind the plants and still has a gravid spot.

I caught the two fry in a shot glass, hung my catching net on the side, and poured them in, so they're protected.

What else should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Congrats!! I have a fry grow out tank that I put them in. They stay in the main tank for 2-3 weeks in their breeder box, but I move them soon after that. Unfortunately out of my most recent batch, I have 1 left out of 8

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I speed counted and got 21 babies! I accidentally bumped the net and had to catch half of them again. Dx

Mom might have ate one, and one I thought I missed actually got stuck in the netting and I accidentally smacked him on the glass trying to catch another... so there was at least one casualty.

How big is your grow out tank? I have one other pregnant female who will probably drop sometime this week. I'll probably raise them and then send the ones I can't take care of to the pet store. <3

Sorry about your fish. D:

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's a good idea, maybe you will get store credit for them! I have a large plastic box that's 60 litres, but the most I ever had at once was only 8 fry. The guppies in my area do not last long, don't feel bad, I only keep them as I can't bear to feed them to my fish! I have never had an adult guppy last more than 3months so I never expected anything from the fry.

Last time I accidentally crushed a fry too, I called it Crush until it passed away. Silly I know, but it had a squished belly and I felt bad!

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aww, Crush! That's an adorable name.

I just thought he suffocated until he kinda... fell apart. Then I forgot he was on the plastic container lid I was wiping up, so I smooshed him further. I gave him a flush burial though. I still feel bad. I guess it happens though; they're so small! :X

Hopefully I can keep mine alive. I've raised baby mice, but that's about it. You just kind of let them do their thing, though, but with fish...

Though my other guppy started having her fry last night, I think (that, or she had them with the other, but I could swear her gravid spot was still there yesterday)- I saw a fry floating around yesterday night. I thought I missed him from earlier, and as soon as I went to get up, one of the girls ate him. D:

I managed to catch one fry out of the batch this morning. There's a second one, but he disappeared. I hope he turns up later. My panda cory likes to swoop down on them like a hawk and scare them out, so I might find more. :3

I shouldn't have sold my 10 gallon with the heater. D:
At least I have a second filter!

That was a long post; sorry. Dx

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads