They won't eat the zuchinni! Funny

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Jackie Frost, Dec 30, 2009.

1. J

Jackie Frost Valued Member Member

If I put algae chips in the tank, they snatch 'em right up. I even caught Loop (my biggest snail) floating to the top of the tank in an effort to consume some fish flake food. But when I put zuchinni slices in the tank all the snails completely ignore them. Only this afternoon did I catch Little One (another snail) on a zuchinni slice. And I had the impression that he was holding on to the slice for dear life to keep from being sucked up from the aquarium vacuum cleaner. He certianly lost interest when I was done cleaning the tank. Maybe I'm serving the zuchinni wrong? Should I cook it first? Dice it? How do you serve your zuchinni to your snails?:;snail

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

it takes them awhile to learn its food ( at least mine did) i dont do anything to mine and they love it.....I put it in at night time when the lights go out and I remove it the next night....maybe yours dont like their veggies ;)

3. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Mine will eat it but prefer cucumber. Keep trying, maybe they dont realize its food for them yet.

4. D

David C Well Known Member Member

Have you tried blanching it? I have better luck when I do that. It definitely takes a little time for them to figure out it's food and where you put it at.

Dave

5. OP
    OP
    J

Yeah, I think you guys are right. They just don't know it's food yet. I'll keep trying though. Strangely enough, my snails like to snooze at night and creep around during the day. (All three are sleeping right now ...8:27p.m.) It's funny. They don't like zuchinni ...they sleep at night instead of day. Obviously these guys must not have read their 'Snail Behavior' pamplet yet.:;laughing

Edit: Just read your comment Dave. That's an idea. I might just try that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol... How's your tank doing, Jackie? I haven't seen an update...

7. OP
    OP
    J

Hi Meenu! Nice to hear from you. The ammonia was 1.0 this afternoon. But I just did a water change with aqua safe start ...and I added a whole new bottle of Tetra Safe Start. So we'll see how things turn out. The fish and snails are doing suprizingly well for enduring such high amounts of ammonia. The fish with the exception of a sort of 'bleached' look to their scales are acting healthy and fine. One of them may even be pregnant!

I am a little concerned about the bleached look. But my online research seems to suggest that it is not ammonia burns. (Those are black.) Perhaps a bacteria infection? But it's not fluffy and their scales are not peeling off. And the fish so help me are acting completelty healthy. I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps that's a subject for another thread?:;dk

8. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm SO rooting for you. :party0011:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice