They over fed the fish while I was gone!

logqnty
I'm so upset!!!
I spent the last 12 days at my grandparents house in Michigan! Before I left, I gave my parents very specific instruction on how to feed/clean my tank (see attached files). While I was gone, my parents dad said that he did the water changes, and my mom said that she and Renne (my 10 year old sister), have been feeding my fish. I thought that Renne asked my mom, and that she followed the instructions that I printed out when feeding my fish. When I am picked up from the airport Renee said that both her and my little brother, and my mom, all fed the fish on the same day, and that one of them died. WHY!!!! I was so clear on how my fish should be kept!! AHAHAHAHA!!!!!
So I get home at midnight, look in my smaller tank. There is about 30 uneaten pellets on the floor, and both my dianos died, but my sister just let them rot in the tank, not bothering to call me or tell me that they died. Then I scooped most of the pellets out, and went to bed.

The next morning I did emptied 75% of the water on both the tanks, and tried to install a new filter on the big tank, but there was not enough space on the top of the tank. It was just a bit to big, and I asked my dad if he could file the lip on the rI'm of the tank off. He agrees, and when I go to the bathtub to fill up the water, I hear: "Crack!!!" I rush back to my room, and guess what! My dad got a HAMMER and a crowbar, and tried to cut off the part of the lip using that!! He made multiple cracks in my tank that reached to almost the bottom (see attached photo). The angelfish was literally on its side in the tank, and I couldn't fill it up because the water would leak onto the floor of my room.

My dad rushed me to petco, we got a new 30 gallon. When we got back home, I took the tank to the hose by the side of the house, and rinsed it down. Then I filled a 5 gal bucket from my 20 gallon tank, and scooped the fish into there while I removed the gravel and equipment. After bringing the new tank upstairs, I scooped the gravel into the new tank, and put it on the stand where the broken tank was. I set up the filter, heater, water pump and lights, and dropped the fish into the new tank. By dad got a special saw and cut the lip of the tank in about 30 seconds, while muttering "I should have done this the first time."
The fish are ok, but the same can't be said for my sanity.

(Sorry, I just needed to blow off some steam)

Attachments

• Doing water changes.pdf
    22.1 KB · Views: 82
  • FEEDING FISH.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 98
RainBetta
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry this happened! I used to have situations like this since my parents are divorced, so while I was at one house for a week, I had to trust The other parent with the care of my fish. Eventually, I just got an auto feeder for the Betta tanks, and showed my mom the proper amount to feed my tetras. It has worked pretty well, but the down side is sometimes I have to go pretty long without changing water.

I'm just so sorry that happened to you! I hope everything works out

AquaticJ
Unfortunately people who don’t keep fish just don’t understand it, and it’s very rare for anyone to. Next time leave ziplock bags or individual containers with dates on them for each day.

logqnty
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry this happened! I used to have situations like this since my parents are divorced, so while I was at one house for a week, I had to trust The other parent with the care of my fish. Eventually, I just got an auto feeder for the Betta tanks, and showed my mom the proper amount to feed my tetras. It has worked pretty well, but the down side is sometimes I have to go pretty long without changing water.

I'm just so sorry that happened to you! I hope everything works out
Thanks. The fish are safe now, and I am really tired, but it will be ok.

Ohio Mark
Oh my..... so sorry this happened to you!

logqnty
Unfortunately people who don’t keep fish just don’t understand it, and it’s very rare for anyone to. Next time leave ziplock bags or individual containers with dates on them for each day.
That's a good idea, I will try it next time.

windrunner9189
this is making me super nervous about the trip i'm taking this summer.

so sorry this happened

fish 321
This is why I do not like letting other people mess with my tank.

logqnty
To be fair, my parents did what I asked (except for when my dad smashed the tank). It was my sibling who went behind my back when they knew I did not want them in my room or messing with my tank. I'll make sure to keep them out next time.

Rtessy
Oohhh my goodness, please tell me this is a joke/realistic bad dream
Ive had a bad experience with a fish sitter, luckily all my fish have been through worse. Anyway, partitioned food for every day, labeled, just left on individual index cards. All that food, plus all the food in the food container, went in the tank. Fun.
I'd recommend getting an automatic feeder, and for 12-20 days, just don't do water changes, if that happens 1-4 times a year, rhey'll still be fine.

fish 321
The pill holders made for medicine also would work well as they are labled for each day.

SM1199
I'm sorry that this happened! I had a similar experience, and I know how bad it can make you feel. I came home from a 10 day trip to find all my fish except one dead. To be fair, that wasn't my family's fault; my fish fought to the death over the automatic feeder (because I didn't trust my family with feeding). If you don't have aggressive fish, I highly advise getting an automatic feeder. I now just tell everyone to NOT touch my fish or tanks at all while I'm gone. The fish can go weeks without food, and they will also have a lower bio load while you're gone so there's not so much of a need for water changes.

logqnty
Thanks everyone for your ideas and support.

CaptAnnDuchow
Thankfully if we go anywhere my son loves my fish also and follows whatever instructions I give him. I hope you made your dad pay for the new tank lol

RainBetta
To be fair, my parents did what I asked (except for when my dad smashed the tank). It was my sibling who went behind my back when they knew I did not want them in my room or messing with my tank. I'll make sure to keep them out next time.
Yikes! Luckily I don't have any young siblings, but I'm sure my brother would try something like this if he were a little younger!

smee82
Sorry about your fish but the but aboit your dad did make me chuckle. If your going to be hone for 2 weeks or less don't worry aboit feeding them in the future they will be fine with a fast.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ShimmeryLuna
Replies
Views
Franny & Gary
Replies
Views
PeterFishKeepin
  • Question
Replies