Help they have confused me?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammie-leigh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok...i need a little help, or advice...
i have two tiger oscar fish.....one of them likes pellets and flakes and blood worms ( i think mainly because they don't require a chase) but still will eat live food is it is easy for it to get, this ones colour changes 9one day its dark the next it has lightened) and the other one spits the pellets and flakes out, but loves live food that it can chase. this ones colour is quite dark and stays that way. I'm confused on how to feed them nutritios diet they both can enjoy and one wont hog it more then the other without having to put 4 different things into the tank when its feeding time. suggestions please?
and also i know you can give them human food (peas, meat, vegies, spinach etc) what are the better ones to be giving oscars to keep them healthy and their colour vibrant without constantly fading etc.
im sorry if this sounds confusing, i wasnt sure on how to word it.
please help
thank you

OP
S

Sammie-leigh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
they aren't fully grown...they are still kinda small (well i would say they are) i havent measured them...they eat heaps...they are definitely eating properly in terms of how much they eat...however, in terms of what they eat, thats where they start to get picky about things...otherwise they are really greedy...

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could try feeding them only one food at a time but cycling through the available options. This way they eventualy get what they want but instead of it being a typical meal it can be a treat. They should eventually get to the point where they get hungry enough that they will eat whatever you throw in the tank Try throwing the flakes/ whatever into the sttream of your filter they love chasing after something.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What kind of pellets are you feeding them? I fed my Tiger Oscar Hikari Cichlid Gold as a staple diet and his orange was really enhanced. Stay away from feeder fish, unless you breed them in your own home, but even then, feeder fish are low in nutrients. Hope this helps.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used to feed my Oscars HBH Oscar Grow & Oscar Show as thier staple. For really fussy Oscars try Newlife Spectrum Chichlassoma 3mm pellets.

I used to breed my own live feeder Guppies but as mentioned above it's not a good idea to feed fish that you buy elsewhere.

Beef & Ox heart are good, most green veggies are accepted when they have been blanched. It might take a little while for these things to be recognised as food though. Raw shrimp or prawns is good as well.

I would start out with a staple pellet & feed that as the only food until both fish are accepting it. If you keep chopping & changing the food around, each one will hold out knowing it will get it's prefered meal if it just hold out. One they both realise that the pellet is there food source, they will both eat. Then you can go back to feeding bloodworms, brineshrimp etc as treats.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hey my friend where are u in australia? looking 2 give away my oscers to a good home if ya close ya can have em.
I'm in Perth Josh. Thanks for the offer but I'm not after any Oscars at the moment. I actually just gave my two to a friend that got a 500gal tank. The Oscars old 180gal is now in use for other more peacefull SA cichlids.

If you are close by & you don't know where to get rid of them, I can probably find a good home for them with one of the members of the Cichlid Society.

Bent72

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From my research Oscars can be picky eaters and others can be hogs as you have read some of the replies... however if you are tired of having to feed four different items at each feeding there is a way to do it so your only feeding one at a time.... Oscars can go quit awhile without food so one method is to fast the oscar for a day or two then present it with the staple you would like it to be on if it doesn't eat right away don't be alarmed as stated before oscars can go quit sometime without food so if it doesn't eat keep this method up and eventually hunger will win out and he will eat what your offering and once this is established you can then begin to feed other items as treats and such to vary the diet some.... most meats you will find are not good at all for your oscar as they contain fats and such that the oscar cannot break down and eventually become toxic to them you would have to do a little research but beef heart is one safe one you would have to find others... as far as fruits and veggies go if the oscar will eat it thats great!! hopefully this helps you out a little

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom