They all have it!

Allie
All my boys have camallanus worms, an intestinal parasite. If the other 4 had them plus I know Seb had them and they ARE contagious, my boys are doomed. :'( I can see them hanging outof the anal areas. All 4 have swollen tummies. :helpsmilie:
I am treating with coopersafe which must have made the worms come out of them too.
I am SO mad for not being more careful. I feel like I took 5 lives and there are 4 more to go.
What else can I do for my boys?
I am so sick you guys. :'(

Martinismommy
Oh Allie.....I'm so sorry! I don't know how to help the little guys....I wish I did.....Just know we are all here for you.....You're the best Betta mommy and you will do everything in your power to heal them

Allie
Thanks Karen I feel like bawling right now.

shellbell4ever
Aww Allie I am so sorry,You have suffered so much loss already!I wish I could be there for you,I am sending you a big virtual hug,and know that we are all here for you!!You could not have know about this, and you only did what anyone of us would have done... rescue a poor cup kid and gave it a wonderful home you and your betta boys are in my prayers!Pleas keep us posted.

jdhef
Allie

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I really don't know anything about camallanus worms. Is it definitely a death sentence or is there any chance they will survive?

joy613
A lot of what I was reading was saying the treatment seemed to help but returned. That says to me that it didn't kill one stage of the parasite. This treatment of fenbendazole seemed to work to clear it up.

Butterfly
Levamisole Hydrochloride is an other suggestion. It's used successfully in Loaches for the same problem.
Heres is a good article with dosing by gallons at the bottom of the article.

Carol

COBettaCouple
I hope that you're able to get some Fenbendazole quick and see your guys recover very soon.

Emg
I had some blue rams with camallanus........ I got in touch with the university here....UCONN, they have a great animal science program.........and I told them the dosage that I learned was necessary and they whipped up a batch of levisol for me. It turned out that the person I talked to used it as a teaching/learning opportunity for her students. I told them how many gallons of water....the dosage per million..or something like that.......and they had to figure out how much levisol to add per 5 gallons.

Some of the fish actually made it through the treatment...I lost one female. The important thing is to do a 100% water change after treatment....and then I did a second dose just to be sure, with another 100% wc after that.

It was so long ago that I don't remember the dosage or how much I administered. See about getting hold of some of that levisol....it's a cattle dewormer.....and give it a shot. If you catch it early enough you may be able to save some of them

OH.....I had originally asked my local veterinarian if she had any levamisole (I explained to her why I needed some)....and she was the one who directed me to the right person at the university. You might see what connections the local vet has to getting you some of that med.

Butterfly
There's dosages already figured out per 10 gallon of water at the bottom of the link I posted won't even have to do math.
carol

Emg
Lol....true, but I had no such info......none of those sites were available when I had done the search way back when. All I had to go on was how many parts per ml or something like that. The lady at the University was very interested...she had never heard of using that stuff to deworm fish and I had caught her right when she had a room full of students...lol.

A good teacher always makes use of any situation to teach her students !! I was just happy not to have to do the math myself !

Allie
With a little bit of extra researching I found this

A lot of what I was reading was saying the treatment seemed to help but returned. That says to me that it didn't kill one stage of the parasite. This treatment of fenbendazole seemed to work to clear it up.
x for the link....I am going to see if I can find it locally. If I have to order it may be too late.

Levamisole Hydrochloride is an other suggestion. It's used successfully in Loaches for the same problem.
Heres is a good article with dosing by gallons at the bottom of the article.

Carol
I will see if I can find either of the meds soon. I hope it's not too late. They are all acting normal, just with swollen bums and a worm hanging out of Sunny & Felix for sure.

I hope that you're able to get some Fenbendazole quick and see your guys recover very soon.
I hope so too.
Thanks all for your good thoughts we can use em here.

chickadee
This will kill the worms that are that type. It is one of the few meds on the market that contains what you need as mostly it has to be gotten by prescription. Meds including the following are effective against the type of worms you are fighting:

Praziquantel (the above product contains this)
Levamisole
Mebendoazole
Piperazine
Trichlorfon
Niclosamide

These are the only compounds that I know of that are effective against this type of worm. Like I said most meds containing these are "by prescription only" so I would get this preparation if you can get it and as quickly as possible.

Rose

Allie
This will kill the worms that are that type. It is one of the few meds on the market that contains what you need as mostly it has to be gotten by prescription. Meds including the following are effective against the type of worms you are fighting:

Praziquantel (the above product contains this)
Levamisole
Mebendoazole
Piperazine
Trichlorfon
Niclosamide

These are the only compounds that I know of that are effective against this type of worm. Like I said most meds containing these are "by prescription only" so I would get this preparation if you can get it and as quickly as possible.

Rose
Oh thanks you Rose. I wonder if I called the vets if they would have it on hand?

chickadee
That particular one is over the counter and available online but you can sure call the vet and see if he has any preparations he would make up or sell you that contain one of those ingredients to treat them with. The Coppersafe will not do a thing to help them, I am afraid. If he will not you can get that med through That Pet Place.com or maybe Big Als would have something that had those ingredients since you are in Canada. I will check.

Rose

chickadee

Big Als in Canada carries THAT product exactly and this is it on the Canada site. So if you cannot get it through the vet it is available in Canada HERE.

Rose

Allie
That particular one is over the counter and available online but you can sure call the vet and see if he has any preparations he would make up or sell you that contain one of those ingredients to treat them with. The Coppersafe will not do a thing to help them, I am afraid. If he will not you can get that med through That Pet Place.com or maybe Big Als would have something that had those ingredients since you are in Canada. I will check.

Rose
Coopersafe only seems to make them appear on the body after a day to 5 days after being treated. Well at least I know what I am dealing with now. :-\ Thanks for your help. I will see what we can get on line and call around in the morning to see if any of the shops have it by chance. ( I doubt it)

Fishies-for-me
I used this on my gups and so far so good. Only with the one that was badly infected I fed it all the time for 1 month straight.

chickadee
Thank you for providing the information on the Antiparasite food but unfortunately this very seldom works with bettas as they will not eat it. In order for this type of food to work it has to be the only food offered and bettas being the prima donas they are are too picky and will nearly starve to death before they will eat the stuff. We cannot get enough of it into them to treat them so it basically is better to go the route of a bath treatment for most things. The only other option would be to soak their regular food in a little of the dissolved med that you add to the tank but that is risky unless you know the dosage that the fish can tolerate and the meds needed for this type of infestation are dangerous chemicals and have to be handled with extreme caution and should not be handled with any broken skin areas or rashes on your hands. In fact gloves are a good idea always when working in the tanks or with the meds.

Rose

Lucy
Allie, I'm so sorry you and your babies are going through this.
You've been through so much.

Sending good vibes your way and hope you find the right meds.

chickadee
Allie, I did some further research here on this and it said that this problem is mostly started through the feeding of live or improperly processed frozen foods so if you are feeding your little ones either of those types of foods, it would be my recommendation at this point that you discontinue what you are feeding them and go with some other supplier or else change types of foods or something. It would make sense to me that this could be the source since they are all coming down with it and they would not all have had contact with each other in any other form that I am aware of. So as expensive as food is and I know this is not an encouraging thing to say, I would jettison whatever you have been feeding them and get something else for sure.

Rose

Allie
Allie, I did some further research here on this and it said that this problem is mostly started through the feeding of live or improperly processed frozen foods so if you are feeding your little ones either of those types of foods, it would be my recommendation at this point that you discontinue what you are feeding them and go with some other supplier or else change types of foods or something. It would make sense to me that this could be the source since they are all coming down with it and they would not all have had contact with each other in any other form that I am aware of. So as expensive as food is and I know this is not an encouraging thing to say, I would jettison whatever you have been feeding them and get something else for sure.

Rose
I thru out all of their food when the last 5 were sick. I had frozen white worms which Heather brought me in from an hours drive, unthawed. Do you think they could have been the problem?

Martinismommy
How are the boys this morning Allie? I'm thinking about all of you and hope they can survive this.....

Allie
How are the boys this morning Allie? I'm thinking about all of you and hope they can survive this.....
Felix and Sunny have big stringy poo hanging from them with red thread worm. JB and Prince are bloated. :-\ I called around and no one carries it so we are ordering online, Big Al's carries it (Thanks Rose). The big 16oz is 49.99 so we may aswell keep to have on hand. Do fish meds have an expiry date?

Martinismommy
Allie...Be extra careful when handling any of the fishy things and when changing water...I read that this can be transfurable to humans....Not sure if this info is correct but wanted to caution you....

Allie
Allie...Be extra careful when handling any of the fishy things and when changing water...I read that this can be transfurable to humans....Not sure if this info is correct but wanted to caution you....
I have been this time. All boys have their own tanks and I wash my hands with some pet disinfected for handling animals & what not. I am not putting my hand in the tanks any more until I fix this.
Thanks for the tip Karen.

chickadee
The only thing I know is most of the literature I read said the MAIN cause was poorly processed frozen or live food. I do not know what the source of the food supply was that you have been using but I would not purchase that brand or from that supplier again as they have a problem. This has got to be where they got it from as bettas do not share tanks the way other fish do and I am truly doubt that you use the same equipment in all your tanks, you are too smart to do that. So it has to be the food. I would not use that brand or supplier again as the problem had to come from that avenue. I would also notify them of the problem and at least let them be aware of the presence of the possible problem as they may not be aware and it could save a lot of problems to other fish owners. Most fish food suppliers are ethical and will want to correct a problem if they know of it but if they are not told that there is a possible problem they cannot know of it. So give them the chance to at least check for the possibility of a problem if you question it. The thing is if the food was unfrozen for any length of time and unprotected it may not be the fault of anyone it could have gotten infested through improper handling and then it is not anyones fault, just a freak of nature and will be a sorry thing but a bad lesson to learn. This is one reason why I chose never to go the route of frozen or fresh foods with my guys. The possibilities of problems are just too out there no matter how careful you think you are being.

I wish you the very best of luck and the hope for a full and speedy recovery with your remaining fish. It will take some care and good treatment and strong meds but their chances are better with a good parent like you than with someone who did not know what to do about it. Take care and please do keep us updated on their condition. I am so sorry this is happening to you.

Rose

chickadee
Most antibiotics have expiration dates but I do not see why antiparasitic meds would as they are a different type of compound. They may lose some strength after a few years but I would think that they would be okay for a couple years anyway. With the number of tanks that you will be treating and for the length of time that the treatment may take you will not have a lot left probably.

Rose

Allie
Most antibiotics have expiration dates but I do not see why antiparasitic meds would as they are a different type of compound. They may lose some strength after a few years but I would think that they would be okay for a couple years anyway. With the number of tanks that you will be treating and for the length of time that the treatment may take you will not have a lot left probably.

Rose
Good point. Thanks so much for all your help Rose. I am in panic mode so it's hard to think when upset. You did all the thinking for me.

Allie
The only thing I know is most of the literature I read said the MAIN cause was poorly processed frozen or live food. I do not know what the source of the food supply was that you have been using but I would not purchase that brand or from that supplier again as they have a problem. This has got to be where they got it from as bettas do not share tanks the way other fish do and I am truly doubt that you use the same equipment in all your tanks, you are too smart to do that. So it has to be the food. I would not use that brand or supplier again as the problem had to come from that avenue. I would also notify them of the problem and at least let them be aware of the presence of the possible problem as they may not be aware and it could save a lot of problems to other fish owners. Most fish food suppliers are ethical and will want to correct a problem if they know of it but if they are not told that there is a possible problem they cannot know of it. So give them the chance to at least check for the possibility of a problem if you question it. The thing is if the food was unfrozen for any length of time and unprotected it may not be the fault of anyone it could have gotten infested through improper handling and then it is not anyones fault, just a freak of nature and will be a sorry thing but a bad lesson to learn. This is one reason why I chose never to go the route of frozen or fresh foods with my guys. The possibilities of problems are just too out there no matter how careful you think you are being.

I wish you the very best of luck and the hope for a full and speedy recovery with your remaining fish. It will take some care and good treatment and strong meds but their chances are better with a good parent like you than with someone who did not know what to do about it. Take care and please do keep us updated on their condition. I am so sorry this is happening to you.

Rose
Heather made the worm cultures herself.

chickadee
Then I am sorry to say that Heather needs to be told that there may be a problem with the cultures and they may be tainted and tell her what happened to your fish. If she is the person you think she is she will thank you for it as it may save her a problem too. If she needs to be on watch for a problem of her own she needs to know of this. I am sure that she would not purposely cause a problem but these things happen and especially with this type of food.

Rose

Allie
Then I am sorry to say that Heather needs to be told that there may be a problem with the cultures and they may be tainted and tell her what happened to your fish. If she is the person you think she is she will thank you for it as it may save her a problem too. If she needs to be on watch for a problem of her own she needs to know of this. I am sure that she would not purposely cause a problem but these things happen and especially with this type of food.

Rose
Yeah I am going to email her now. She hasn't had any problems with her fish & she has a lot.

Fishies-for-me
this can be transfered fish to fish in as little as 1 drop of water!! ( a net a hose a python ..whatever.)

Allie
this can be transfered fish to fish in as little as 1 drop of water!! ( a net a hose a python ..whatever.)
Yeah we know this...it's how my fishies may have gotten it to begin with. Keyholes were treated in a 10 gallon off and on since Feb/March, never cleaned it right and divided it in three. Hello betta. The decor was switched about throughout the tanks and they were in a 33g divided for a week so yeah they mayve have gotten it thru the food or from something else.

Fishies-for-me
If the keyholes were fairly new it could of came in on them...I had a gup that I bought but I noticed it within a week and started treatment with the food. So far so good and that was 3 months ago I quit treating. I search my tanks all the time scared to see the tell tail red thread. So far so good. I may do a round of food anyhow as I am very nervous about this worm. On the other hand I did move some cory cats from that tank to another I had sick angels ..which I lost but not to the worm ...and treated the whole tank with coppersafe and no worms in that tank showed so hopefully I am safe now.

Allie
If the keyholes were fairly new it could of came in on them...I had a gup that I bought but I noticed it within a week and started treatment with the food. So far so good and that was 3 months ago I quit treating. I search my tanks all the time scared to see the tell tail red thread. So far so good. I may do a round of food anyhow as I am very nervous about this worm. On the other hand I did move some cory cats from that tank to another I had sick angels ..which I lost but not to the worm ...and treated the whole tank with coppersafe and no worms in that tank showed so hopefully I am safe now.
My gut is telling me it was the keyholes, since they had the worms first. I lost one male he got dropsy at the end. I took all precautions last month when I lost the last 4 betta...now once they are treated I am cleaning/disinfecting all tanks again.

Red_Rose
I'm so sorry that you and your betta babies are going through this!:console:

I've heard of people who have dealt with Camallanus worms who have successfully cured their fish.

Here are two links about them. They might help you cure your boys!

Allie
I'm so sorry that you and your betta babies are going through this!:console:

I've heard of people who have dealt with Camallanus worms who have successfully cured their fish.

Here are two links about them. They might help you cure your boys!
Thanks...we found that med we can order in from Big Al's...it'll be two days before we see it though.

Allie
We found the medication on the other side of town!!! We getting later. $25 for 4oz??

COBettaCouple
Ouch, that's a lot.. hope your Bettas are quick to respond to meds.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
COBettaCouple
Replies
Views
Mandarabe
Replies
Views
April R
Top Bottom