These appeared in my tank today....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Shortfuuzze, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

So I just came back from the grocery store and noticed these two things in my tank. I just dis a water change and vac yesterday and didn't notice them.......any ideas on what they are?

They are beige in color and sitting on an amazon sword leaf. They any so appear to be fuzzy. They are also quite small...next to each other they are about the size of a grain of rice

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Could they be baby snails? Have you added plants or fish lately?

Carol

3. T

Thefishgeek33 Valued Member Member

Could be a bladder snail, or a pond snail. And what Butterfly said, have u added any plants?

"I am not what has happened to me, I am who I choose to become"
    "Only God Can Judge Me"

4. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

Nothing has been added to the tank in 2 or 3 months.....that's when I first got it and set it up

Update: I looked in the tank a little while ago...Bout 20min ago and they are gone....nowhere to be seen. Hazardous if the angel or gourami ate it????

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. derkulies

derkulies Valued Member Member

If it has parasites in it could be. But I had snail problem but my red paradise fish made short work of that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

So is there anything I can do to prevent a sick fish incase there were parasites in it??

And where would snail eggs come from since I haven't added anything to my tank???

7. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Looks like bladder snails to me. They start out smaller than a grain of sand. The picture looks like 2 of them trying to reproduce. If you're lucky enough to only have two, as soon as you see them remove them. They will quickly reproduce and you'll have an abundance of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Most likely you had an egg or two on the plants when you set it up and they have only grown to size you can see now.

9. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

Well that Def sucks! I couldn't find them last night at all once they disappeared. I'll go home today and do a good vac and keep an eye on things real close the next few days.....

I'm thinking my angel or gourami might have tried to eat them. I noticed the "snails" just after feeding time. Both fish were cruising the tank looking for left overs as usual......

Or maybe the snails moved and now I won't be able to find them and will ruin my tank >.<

Nothing I can do to kill off the snails short of finding them and roving them??

10. Bluestreakfl

Drop a piece of fresh (preferably organic to avoid pesticides) cucumber or Zuchini in there, they'll flock to it. Your other fish may nibble at it too, and it's good for them as well to have some occasional plant matter in their diet. You can blanch it, or leave it raw, may have to weight it down with a rock and a rubber band or some folks use a stainless steel fork, wooden skewer etc.

11. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

Fresh zucchini or cucumber will draw out the snails only? Then I can vac up.....or will the veggie kill the snails?

12. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Just take out the whole veggie and dispose of. Not sure how the veggie would kill the snail...

13. Bluestreakfl

To clarify, snails will be attracted to fresh vegetables as a preferred food source, they find it irresistible. Simply remove the veggie once the snails are on it.

14. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Eatfishhuntrepeat8 New Member Member

As soon as you see them, remove them with the vac or by hand, the veggie will only attract them, not harm them. More than likely there's more than two in there, they reproduce fast so keep a close eye out, if your too worried, buy a snail eating fish such as a loach and hope for the best!

15. Dom90

Gouramis work well for snail invasions too. With loaches, you'd need a school..

16. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Eatfishhuntrepeat8 New Member Member

i had a feeling someone would pick that up....

17. Dom90

:D:D

18. derkulies

derkulies Valued Member Member

Could have taken awhile for the snails to have developed like jurassic park life finds a way lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. Bluestreakfl

If after luring them out with veggies and removing them, if you find more, you can do the same veggie trap, or pick up an single Assasin snail. These will eat pest snails, and if it eats them all, it will consume left over fish food and waste.

Adding a fish, or an entire school of fish isn't really a logical solution to get rid of a few snails. We don't know yet the size or current stock of the tank either. While one Assasin snail wouldn't have nearly any effect on the bioload or current inhabitants, a semi aggressive fish or new school of fish certainly would/could.

20. Dom90

But then the question becomes, which would be more efficient at eliminating the snail problem, an assassin snail or a gourami.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice