Thermometers: Digital Or Analog?

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Which do you prefer and why?

I currently have two differently analogs in my tank, a sinking on the bottom left and a suction cup mounted one in the top right.

Gekco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The digital ones are the most accurate since those are probe based, just more expensive. Never used analog thermometers, I use the alcohol based ones.

Mothercrow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I prefer digital.

I have two analog, one of which always seems to read 3 degrees colder than my digital. I don't like that at all, especially when trying to temperature match water changes. The other analog got algae behind the tube, which makes it hard to read. I've even scrubbed with a toothbrush but can't get the algae out. I don't like looking at it from all angles trying to figure it out.

The digital thermometers aren't perfect--I'm not a huge fan of yet another wire sticking out of my tanks. But I'm a huge fan of being able to quickly glance at easy-to-read numbers to make sure the temperatures are in a good range. I had a heater that only worked intermittently, and I didn't find out for a while because my analog thermometer was tough to read and didn't show the temperature fluctuations.

I buy my digital thermometers on Amazon, and even the cheap ones have done just fine. Plus, it's nice to have a spare when temperature matching for water changes.

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also a lot of the digital thermometers have high and low temp alarms. Mine beep if the temp gets outside of 24° to 28°

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone!
See, here, i assumed the opposite! Lol
I thought ppl relied more on the basic types and that electronic might be considered finicky! Lol
Maybe ill look into new one

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks everyone!
See, here, i assumed the opposite! Lol
I thought ppl relied more on the basic types and that electronic might be considered finicky! Lol
Maybe ill look into new one
Mine was around $5 on Amazon. When I bought it I thought it was cheap so if it breaks I'm not out much money. It has worked fabulously. I've had it since October without any issues.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom