There's No Reason I Should Be Worried...right???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by adh/smile, Apr 10, 2017.

1. adh/smile

adh/smile Well Known Member Member

Hi guys!

I got the chance to add play sand to my 10 gallon aquarium today, WAHOO!!!!! I rinsed it really good and baked it and put it in the tank! The water is really cloudy though. I was expecting that and I'm pretty sure it will settle down and the water will return to its normal crystal clearness. RIGHT???!!!

Anyway, I added the sand to my tank with my fish in it. This was fine according to a video I watched on adding sand to your tank. But I'm still just a little worried about them not getting enough oxygen and swimming in cloudy water. They should be ok though according to the video. RIGHT???!!!

It's only been 10 minutes since I added the sand so I'm sure it is as bad as it's ever going to look. Thanks!!!

Here's the tank after the sand was put in:
    Here's the tank before the sand was put in: (I used to have standard Walmart gravel.)

2. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

The fish will be fine, the tank should clear up within a few hours depending on your filtration.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They should be fine. Why would they not get enough oxygen?

4. adsm08

adsm08 Valued Member Member

While they will live, I have read many reports of play sand not being the best type, and I personally like to be very careful about disturbing sand with the fish in there.

I have a silver molly in my son's 20G-long tank that was fine when we brought it home, but after a water change where I almost lost my grip on the bucket, and ended up pouring much faster than usual (thus kicking up a lot of the sand) it's gills turned bright red, showing through the gill covers, and have not returned to normal. While the fish still swims and eats and seems mostly OK, I am afraid that kicking up the sand like that damaged her gills.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, they will live. When, I added sand to my tank, it was this cloudy, and the fish and snails lived. The filter will clear it up in a few hours.

6. acb

acb New Member Member

They will be fine. It's normal.

7. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

adh/smile Well Known Member Member

Oh, I don't know, I suppose maybe because the water is so clouded the oxygen level might have lowered some but it was a stupid thought because the oxygen would still be in the water. So pretend I didn't say that!!!!! It doesn't matter anyways now though because the water is clear again!
    Thank you all so much for your support!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice