There's GOLD in them thar hills........

1. BadKarma Initiate Member

I've been thinking about getting back into the hobby the last week or so and found a 15gal kit in the back seat of my truck (Petco sale item). Anyway, while surfing the web researching what I wanted to put in the tank, I happened to find myself cruising through the evil site known as craigslist and stumbled upon a listing for a 30gal tank. Next thing I know, I'm looking at a glass tank with a stealth heater and a florescent hood in the back of a minivan. When I get it home and look it over much closer, I can't find anything wrong with it. Sure, there's a couple light scratches and it really needs a cleaning, but the silicone seams are pretty solid. The heater works, but the hood is pretty much trashed, but I didn't expect it to be much use.

Anyway, I think I did pretty well for a whole $18.00!!!!!!

There are treasures out there to be found, just know what you are looking at.

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;banaman lol Congrats on your new tanks!!!!

I wish it was harder to find good deals in my area, so I could keep my mts in check. :p You better be careful - with a minivan you can bring home loads of tanks! ;D

3. BadKarma Initiate Member

Oh it's much worse than that. The seller was in the minivan, I drive a 1/2 ton pickup!!!!!!!

Extended cab no less. :;perfect

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

extended cab, huh? I see something upwards of 200 gallons in your future... lol

5. Omgami Member Member

Wow, two tanks already! I can just picture a dark alley, a pick up truck and mini-van side by side, a quick exchange of money and the deal has gone down. Meenu may be right a 200 gallon may be in your future!

6. BadKarma Initiate Member

I get the feeling this is gonna be like my TV and my computer monitor. I could never see a reason for my monitor to be larger than my TV, then I had to go buy a 36" TV!!!

I'll be building a stand for both these tanks over the holidays, then it's finding the room for "other" tanks yet not acquired!!!!!!! :;rocker

I feel better knowing I'm not alone.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello BadKarma. Congrats on the new tanks. I hope you can share some photos with us along the way. What great finds !!!!
    Have fun and keep us posted.
    Ken

8. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

It amazes me how many fully functional tanks you can find 55-75G for around $100.00 ready to go. Sometimes in my LFS I see people pay hundreds for a 55G set up and I want to stop them and say look online for goodness sakes.

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations on the new tanks! Craigslist is an awesome place for good deals on tanks. A lot of us have Craigslist tanks. It's great for assisting MTS.

Psstt...WHEN you get any tanks 75g or higher, bring a helper. The 75g's weigh 140 empty.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

wowsers!!!!!! congrats!!
    im so glad I dont find these kinda deals...Id be out on me :;bb and its so chilly in the north east right now!!!!:whistling:

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

If that ever happens, just bring the kids and the fish down here to GA;)! We have room.

12. BadKarma Initiate Member

I think I can handle a 75gal but I'll draw the line at 125gal.

253.jpg >:D

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, I'd definitely say you could.;)

You look so happy in your picture:pokey::giggle:

14. BadKarma Initiate Member

Would you believe I was a bouncer for almost 25 years? :eek:

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, I definitely believe you were a bouncer, but you don't look old enough to have done it for 25 years:D I bet you were good at it, though.

16. BadKarma Initiate Member

hehehe, I have my share of scars and you are much too kind!!!!

I'll be 47 on the 29th of this month!

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Happy Early Birthday! You're a Capricorn. My daughter, brother, and father are all Capricorns as well. Makes for some interesting family get-togethers.

I'm not too far behind ya. I'm 34.

I meant to tell you, I love your username. My very first convict (I still have her) is named Karma.

18. BadKarma Initiate Member

Thank you. I was also born in the Year of the Tiger according to the Chinese calendar. That makes me double hard headed!!!

I remember 34, somewhat. :;bmu

Several years ago I played in a league in an online computer game and I had one of those nights where I could do no wrong and the leader of our opponents told his team, "Leave that guy alone, he's "Bad Karma" for us." And it stuck. I've been using it ever since.