There’s a (domestic) rabbit in my backyard!

julifhy

A week ago I thought I saw a small rabbit hopping in my backyard, but I just assumed it was a bird, but today I saw it again! It’s definitely not a wild rabbit. It’s grey but (not agouti though it’s just a plain grey color) with a white belly and white around its eyes. It has short ears and a round head. It’s also tiny!
I live in the middle of the city in a suburban area, so I highly doubt this could be a wild rabbit. A couple years ago someone freed their rabbit in our neighborhood, so I’m wondering if this could of happened again. I checked Craigslist and other sites to see if anyone was has lost a rabbit, but I couldn’t find anything.

I’m thinking of trying to use either the top of our old guinea pig cage to catch it, borrowing a puppy pen from my neighbors and trying to corner it, or using an old blanket to catch it. Which way would work best? Is there something else I should try?
Should I take it to the vet if I do end up catching it? Or should I take it to the shelter?

I was actually considering adopting a pet rabbit a while ago, so I did TONS of research on them. If this actually does end up being a domestic rabbit, I would seriously consider keeping it. (And yes I know they are expensive and they’re a lot of work, but I am up for it)

Any help would be really appreciated!

Ghelfaire

Not sure which method is better for catching, maybe the blanket. I would definitely take it to the vet and then call the shelter, maybe they'll let you foster it until someone comes looking for it.

Upvote 0

julifhy

Not sure which method is better for catching, maybe the blanket. I would definitely take it to the vet and then call the shelter, maybe they'll let you foster it until someone comes looking for it.
I was thinking about this more and I think I might try the guinea pig cage first. I would tie a string to the opening so I could close it when it’s in the cage, lure it into the cage with a banana (that’s what it seems to like lol) and I would be inside holding the string and I would use the string to close the cage. Hopefully it would work.
I was thinking of doing this in the evening, but that would mean we would have to keep him in a small cage over night. Maybe should I leave it be until sunrise and then try to catch it? Or should I try today?

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

I was thinking about this more and I think I might try the guinea pig cage first. I would tie a string to the opening so I could close it when it’s in the cage, lure it into the cage with a banana (that’s what it seems to like lol) and I would be inside holding the string and I would use the string to close the cage. Hopefully it would work.
I was thinking of doing this in the evening, but that would mean we would have to keep him in a small cage over night. Maybe should I leave it be until sunrise and then try to catch it? Or should I try today?
I would try it whenever you see it most. It'll be fine in a cage overnight but if you're worried do it in the morning or transfer it into something a bit bigger once you have it.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Could also try a humane trap like a havaheart

Upvote 0

saltwater60

I’ve used have a heart traps and fishing nets to catch rabbits. We work for a rabbit rescue and have to do it fairly regularly. The faster you catch it the better it will be. They don’t do well in the wild.
check for fleas and make sure your careful if it has fleas. Dog and cat flea meds can kill them.
Also it’s best to slay or neuter a rabbit since they have a high rate of cancer and it calms them down. Also makes them smell less and they don’t spray. It’s not cheap but it’s best for them and you.

if you have other pets keep it quarantined for about two weeks. There is a new disease going around.

Upvote 0

julifhy

It actually turned out to be a wild rabbit:

27175CC8-7ACA-445C-86BD-2DA641327042.jpeg
But there may or may not be another one that is domestic.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
Replies
Views
FreshAtFreshwater
Replies
Views
Shasteca