40 Gallon Tank There's a bump near my Betta's tail

Demonskid
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 40 Gallon Breeder
How long has the tank been running? June 2020
Does it have a filter? 1 Canister Filter and 2 Sponge Filters
Does it have a heater? 1 100 watt heater
What is the water temperature? 79F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 Betta, 2 L397 Tiger Plecos, 1 Tiger Nerite Snail, 9 Amano Shrimp, a few Pond and Ramshorn Snails kept at decent levels.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week, sometimes twice.
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum the substrate the best I can.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Fresh Water Master Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a Day
How much do you feed your fish? I rotate food.
The Betta gets:
3-5 betta pellets
a pinch of flakes
a pinch of bug bite powder
two blood worms depending on the day.
He also gets live amano shrimp larvae when the Amano's release their little ones and he eats snails when they're small enough.
Plecos and Shrimp get an assortment of veggies, bug bite pellets, algae wafers, pellets and Sun Dried Baby Shrimp. The betta likes to chase their food down to the bottom but pretty much leaves it alone. Sometimes he'll taste it but spits what he bit off out.

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Tetra BettaMin Flakes.
Fluval Bug Bites Betta Formula,
Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets (soaked in Garlic Guard once a week),
Hikari Freeze-Dried Blood Worms
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Since August 4th 2021
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Thursday Jan 13th 2022
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? I noticed a red bump near his tail fin yesterday, today it's not red and swelling has gone down some.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The day before yesterday he over ate the baby amano shrimp that were dropped so he was a bit lethargic afterwards. But today after fasting he's back to his energetic self, so no changes.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

On Wednesday, a few of my amano shrimp released their babies into the tank giving Seiryuu my betta an all you can eat buffet. He had already had a few flakes that morning so I decided he'd fast for the next 2 days. On Thursday, (yesterday), while keeping an eye on Seiryuu as he was a bit lethargic from over eating the shrimplets, I took notice of a red bump near his tail fin.

20220113_171313.jpg

I've been keeping an eye on him even more since I noticed that bump.

Today, he's back from his food coma, energetic and playful. Also the redness on his tail has gone away, and the swelling seems to have gone down some.

20220114_135610.jpg

I just want to make sure this lump isn't anything serious even though it seems to be going away.

Sorry for the bad photo quality, I can't find my macro lens that clips to my phone.

Advertisement
Fiosco345
Looks like a toumor

OutsideFoodBlob
Do you think he might have injured himself when he was gobbling up the shrimp? Or triggered an allergic reaction by over eating? If that’s even possible.
Since it has only just happened and the color/swelling look to be receding. Maybe just give it a few more days of observation.

Demonskid
Looks like a toumor
I hope not. =(
Do you think he might have injured himself when he was gobbling up the shrimp? Or triggered an allergic reaction by over eating? If that’s even possible.
Since it has only just happened and the color/swelling look to be receding. Maybe just give it a few more days of observation.
I'll keep observing for sure. I'm just hoping it's nothing serious.

Demonskid
Update:

Last night he became a bit lethargic and had trouble swimming to the surface. When he stopped to rest, his tail end would sink downwards.

I put him in one of my quarantine specimen containers for the night so he wouldn't have to work too hard to get a breath. This morning he's back to being lively and swimming just fine again.

The bump hasn't gone down any since yesterday, sadly.

I fed him a few garlic guard soaked pellets this morning. Will continue to watch him and update when I notice anything else.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Manjit
Replies
Views
BaileyC
Replies
Views
dogonlynose
Replies
Views