There Was A Bee In My Fish Tank!!

_bailey_

Active Member
Member
Messages
198
Reaction score
53
Experience
1 year
Could that have killed my betta? He is a very curious guy and will try to nibble anything on the surface.
 

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,583
Reaction score
6,075
Location
England
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably not.
I had a large spider fall in my goldfish tank. They ate half of it, the rest of it was not fun to fish out lol. They were fine.
 

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,583
Reaction score
6,075
Location
England
Experience
5 to 10 years
aquatickeeper said:
It might have, bees have stings.
I know but I wouldn't expect the betta to have eaten the whole bee or sting.

Bailey did he eat the bee or not?
 

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Bees are venomous and their stinger is how they protect them themselves (Where the Venom is). The Venom isn't too potent (Not nearly as much as Snakes or other poisonous animals) and some people are allergic to it which is why you get those little bumps on your skin and why it hurts so much, and some people are allergic to that and its worse for them. I was always hesitant about watching my 2 Quacker Parrots eat a Wasp or something that was flying around in my house but they have and they survived (Unfortunately they're not here, they passed away from pure idiocy, wasn't ready to keep birds at the time, may they Rest In Peace. I loved them). If your Betta ate the venomous part or if the bee was in your Aquarium for too long (Fish breath through water, imagine if it was contaminated with poison, they'd be breathing that in every time they took a breath) then it easily could have, fish are very small and delicate so that easily could have what caused him to pass. It takes little to cause them to die, even sways in the water parameters.
I assume your Betta passed away so if he didn't sorry for such a morbid comment.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
_bailey_

_bailey_

Active Member
Member
Messages
198
Reaction score
53
Experience
1 year
He is still okay.
I fished it out, I don't think he ate any of it. I'm allergic to bees so I didn't give the bee a chance to wake up if he wasn't in fact 100% dead. So I didn't get a close inspection.
The shrimp and the betta in the tank seem to be normal as if nothing happened.
 

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
_bailey_ said:
He is still okay.
I fished it out, I don't think he ate any of it. I'm allergic to bees so I didn't give the bee a chance to wake up if he wasn't in fact 100% dead. So I didn't get a close inspection.
The shrimp and the betta in the tank seem to be normal as if nothing happened.
Well that's good, glad it didn't do anything.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
237
Guests online
3,315
Total visitors
3,552

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom