There Was A Bee In My Fish Tank!!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by _bailey_, Apr 9, 2017.

1. _bailey_

_bailey_ Valued Member Member

Could that have killed my betta? He is a very curious guy and will try to nibble anything on the surface.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Probably not.
    I had a large spider fall in my goldfish tank. They ate half of it, the rest of it was not fun to fish out lol. They were fine.

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

It might have, bees have stings.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I know but I wouldn't expect the betta to have eaten the whole bee or sting.

Bailey did he eat the bee or not?

5. Armypro

Armypro Valued Member Member

Bees are venomous and their stinger is how they protect them themselves (Where the Venom is). The Venom isn't too potent (Not nearly as much as Snakes or other poisonous animals) and some people are allergic to it which is why you get those little bumps on your skin and why it hurts so much, and some people are allergic to that and its worse for them. I was always hesitant about watching my 2 Quacker Parrots eat a Wasp or something that was flying around in my house but they have and they survived (Unfortunately they're not here, they passed away from pure idiocy, wasn't ready to keep birds at the time, may they Rest In Peace. I loved them). If your Betta ate the venomous part or if the bee was in your Aquarium for too long (Fish breath through water, imagine if it was contaminated with poison, they'd be breathing that in every time they took a breath) then it easily could have, fish are very small and delicate so that easily could have what caused him to pass. It takes little to cause them to die, even sways in the water parameters.
    I assume your Betta passed away so if he didn't sorry for such a morbid comment.

6. OP
    OP
    _bailey_

_bailey_ Valued Member Member

He is still okay.
    I fished it out, I don't think he ate any of it. I'm allergic to bees so i didn't give the bee a chance to wake up if he wasn't in fact 100% dead. So i didn't get a close inspection.
    The shrimp and the betta in the tank seem to be normal as if nothing happened.

7. Armypro

Armypro Valued Member Member

Well that's good, glad it didn't do anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice