There Must Be Something In The Water... Are These Eggs? Fantasy Tank Brownchickenbrowncow ;)

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yesterday we found an Odessa fry.

Our sterbai have also be spawning but the Odessas are eating their eggs & apparently cannibalizing the rest of the Odessa babies we didn't find.

we added snails last night & the mysteries were locked in snail passion all night *blushes*

now these appeared! what are they? snails?
20180429_124239.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like one of those times I’m ok with wing blind. Blushing here too. Lol.

Someone with eyes will take a peak soon. Then we’ll both know. Good luck.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mcasella said:
Cory cat eggs, i would scoop them up and incubate them if you don't want to leave the omelettes to the fish.
Oh! Save them save them please!

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mcasella said:
Cory cat eggs, i would scoop them up and incubate them if you don't want to leave the omelettes to the fish.
ooooooo!!! how do I scoop them? how do I incubate? pls tell me because I wanna save them!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When my corys first started laying eggs I followed this advice and hatched a bunch of them Good luck

The first ones were on some of the little leaves on one of my plastic plants so I just cut the leaf off and moved them that way.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jenoli42 said:
ooooooo!!! how do I scoop them? how do I incubate? pls tell me because I wanna save them!
Gently roll them off the glass (fingers or moss, gentle is the biggest thing here because they do burst with too much pressure, if you have a little bit of fingernail going on this is easier). Incubation is normally about 4-5 days until they hatch, this can be done in a cup floated inside the warm tank, they will need a separate tank to grow out in otherwise they become wiggling snacks. They eat crushed version of adult food, water changes help with growth and keep water clean, you will not have to worry about a water change until they have hatched (a bubbler helps move the water, but not really necessary).

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mcasella said:
Gently roll them off the glass (fingers or moss, gentle is the biggest thing here because they do burst with too much pressure, if you have a little bit of fingernail going on this is easier). Incubation is normally about 4-5 days until they hatch, this can be done in a cup floated inside the warm tank, they will need a separate tank to grow out in otherwise they become wiggling snacks. They eat crushed version of adult food, water changes help with growth and keep water clean, you will not have to worry about a water change until they have hatched (a bubbler helps move the water, but not really necessary).
THANK YOU! I checked out the link @mattgirl & watched a couple YouTube videos, too.

how do you know if they burst? 3 are floating at the top of the cup & 3 dank to the bottom. I used my finger nails very carefully.

I made a make shift suction brace with some zip ties & suction cup.

we'll get a breeder box this week... but a couple questions:

1. we have a tiny Odessa fry in a breeder net in the same tank. at what stage should we be worried about keeping Odessa fry & Cory fry together?

2. should i risk using my cursed 5g AT @mattgirl if the rummy lives? surely not?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jenoli42 said:
THANK YOU! I checked out the link @mattgirl & watched a couple YouTube videos, too.
You are very welcome. I was very happy to find that thread when the eggs started showing up.

how do you know if they burst? 3 are floating at the top of the cup & 3 dank to the bottom. I used my finger nails very carefully.
I really don't think viable eggs will float. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong about that.

1. we have a tiny Odessa fry in a breeder net in the same tank. at what stage should we be worried about keeping Odessa fry & Cory fry together?

2. should i risk using my cursed 5g AT @mattgirl if the rummy lives? surely not?
Both very good questions. I have to admit .... I don't know although I did have danio and cory fry in the same 5 gallon tank and they didn't bother each other.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jenoli42 said:

I made a make shift suction brace with some zip ties & suction cup.

we'll get a breeder box this week... but a couple questions:

At about a month old they should be large enough to avoid being eaten by most of your fish (they should be able 1/2-3/4 an inch long). You would have felt the difference (the ones that break open will not be a firm ball to your touch), sometimes they float, try and get them to stay underwater or they could dry out.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mcasella said:
At about a month old they should be large enough to avoid being eaten by most of your fish (they should be able 1/2-3/4 an inch long). You would have felt the difference (the ones that break open will not be a firm ball to your touch), sometimes they float, try and get them to stay underwater or they could dry out.
in that case none of them burst yay! 6 viable eggs!!

Ha! while doing our weekly 15% pwc we found another 5 sterbai eggs!!!

they've been busy!!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jenoli42 said:
Ha! while doing our weekly 15% pwc we found another 5 sterbai eggs!!!

they've been busy!!
A word of warning I got really excited about those first cory eggs. I saved and successfully hatched most of the first ones. So far I have given away at least 15 and my tank still has way more than it should have.

They still hatch in my big tank with no help from me. It is so cute to see a tiny baby hiding behind a plant and even cuter when they get to about 3/8 inch long and come out to forage with the bigger guys.

Sadly though they are ALL bronze corys. I really wish some of the false julii eggs would hatch or some of the albino/bronze would turn out albino. Oh well, they are ALL as cute as can be so I am not going to complain.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
THEY HATCHED!!! WE HAVE 4 BABY STERBAI!!! SQUEEEEEE
20180504_104558.jpg
20180504_104551.jpg

UPDATE

NOPE. 5 now!!!

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
mattgirl said:
don't cha love it when a plan comes together
SQUEEEE! i didn't think i would get into the whole baby fish thing but i'm entranced!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jenoli42 said:
SQUEEEE! i didn't think i would get into the whole baby fish thing but i'm entranced!
I know the feeling. I wasn't going to try to raise any of my molly fry but I just can't help myself. They are just sooooo adorable. I was the same as you when I first saw cory eggs. I just had to try my hand at hatching them.

Right now I have 10 molly fry in my 5.5 gallon tank and there are at least 4 more in my big tank for now. ( I am sure momma will pop out more soon) They are just too quick to be caught. They have no idea that I am just trying to help them. They are about a third the size of the ones I managed to catch and move. They just don't know that if they would cooperate they would get to eat all they could eat several times a day.

I just moved one to begin with (I wasn't going to try to save them all) and that one is already half the size of its parents. Amazing how quickly they can grow with super clean water and lots of food.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Last night, i noticed one of the eggs had a white fuzzy growth, so i grabbed a graduated turkey baster and sucked it out and down the drain. then i carefully sucked out about half the water in the cup with the baster and replaced with tank water. it was a turkey baster version of a 50% partial water change in a 500mil cup lolz! i know it wasn't necessary but i thought the fuzziness could be a worry...and today the others hatched so i'm glad!

now, 2-3 days until they need food other than their egg sac, right?

I'm away overnight but i'll check on the little cuties tomorrow evening when we're back.

mattgirl said:
I know the feeling. I wasn't going to try to raise any of my molly fry but I just can't help myself. They are just sooooo adorable. I was the same as you when I first saw cory eggs. I just had to try my hand at hatching them.

Right now I have 10 molly fry in my 5.5 gallon tank and there are at least 4 more in my big tank for now. ( I am sure momma will pop out more soon) They are just too quick to be caught. They have no idea that I am just trying to help them. They are about a third the size of the ones I managed to catch and move. They just don't know that if they would cooperate they would get to eat all they could eat several times a day.

I just moved one to begin with (I wasn't going to try to save them all) and that one is already half the size of its parents. Amazing how quickly they can grow with super clean water and lots of food.
the odessa baby must be a bit slow. didn't even try to run away when we got out the net several times. doesn't act scared when we move it's net around. very chill. no idea if it's eating but it's not dead so we figure it must be? there's food at the bottom of the net that might be too big for it to eat. i hope it's alright overnight...

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jenoli42 said:
Last night, i noticed one of the eggs had a white fuzzy growth, so i grabbed a graduated turkey baster and sucked it out and down the drain. then i carefully sucked out about half the water in the cup with the baster and replaced with tank water. it was a turkey baster version of a 50% partial water change in a 500mil cup lolz! i know it wasn't necessary but i thought the fuzziness could be a worry...and today the others hatched so i'm glad!

now, 2-3 days until they need food other than their egg sac, right?

I'm away overnight but i'll check on the little cuties tomorrow evening when we're back.
You did the right thing. One bad one can hurt the other ones. I would be changing most of their water daily. fortunately it won't be a big job for now

Right, I am thinking 2 or 3 days before feeding sounds about right.

Jenoli42 said:
the odessa baby must be a bit slow. didn't even try to run away when we got out the net several times. doesn't act scared when we move it's net around. very chill. no idea if it's eating but it's not dead so we figure it must be? there's food at the bottom of the net that might be too big for it to eat. i hope it's alright overnight...
Since it is in the net it might feel safe. The molly fry in my 55 have lots of hiding spots os run and hide when they see the siphon anywhere near them now that they are older. The fry are easier to catch right after they are born. Guess they don't know yet to run and hide.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
mattgirl said:
You did the right thing. One bad one can hurt the other ones. I would be changing most of their water daily. fortunately it won't be a big job for now

Right, I am thinking 2 or 3 days before feeding sounds about right.
i hope they'll be ok. i'm out the door and i didn't change the water today. did last night. will tomorrow evening when i'm home.... fingers crossed. there's no food in there to cause ammonia except their own egg sacks so i hope 48 hours between changes is ok this once...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom