There is something with my Betta's eye

GinGirl97

This is Marlin Monroe, I got him Wednesday last week and on the Friday he had white stuff on his eye. It went away after a water change but came back again today. I did another water change today and a little of the white stuff fell off. I don't know what to do. I have another betta that I have had no issues with but I am still very new to fish keeping. I don't know what to do to help him. I am going to start daily water changes with Indian Almond Leaves tp try and treat it while my city is in lockdown.

The current thoughts are mooneye, or velvet.

Any thoughts on what this could be and ways to help him are greatly appreciated.

Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 5. His tank is cycled using an established filter. He is in a planted tank with penny wort, duckweed, moss, guppy grass, hornwort, Anubias, and a plant I cannot remember the name of but it looks like dill. He also has a coconut hide in his tank, a sponge filter and a heater.

MarlinMonroe.jpg

darkcat

It looks like cloudy eyes. So you should move your betta to a quarantine tank and treat him or her with salt. Keep up with the water changes!!

Upvote 0

GinGirl97

It looks like cloudy eyes. So you should move your betta to a quarantine tank and treat him or her with salt. Keep up with the water changes!!
Is there a particular salt I need to use or just aquarium salt? And will be be okay in his current tank until tomorrow when lockdown ends?

Upvote 0

darkcat

Is there a particular salt I need to use or just aquarium salt? And will be be okay in his current tank until tomorrow when lockdown ends?
Yes. You can use your tank. Are there other fishes in there? Yes use aquarium salt. Not kitchen/table salt. It's toxic. I've never had this experience of cloudy eyes so Its from my research. Hear others who has experienced this too! Good luck.

Upvote 0

GinGirl97

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20L
How long has the tank been running? 3 weeks. 1 week with fish
Does it have a filter? yes. Sponge
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 24.5C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 betta fish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every 2 days. Will be doing daily until fish is better
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate as well

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes. With tank water from an established tank and an established filter
What do you use to test the water? API Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once per day
How much do you feed your fish? 3-4 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? planning on starting him on frozen blood worms soon

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 week
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? white clouding on the eye, looked a little fuzzy a couple of days ago. Went away with a water change but then came back
Have you started any treatment for the illness? water changes and Indian Almond Leaves
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Illness started as mild white clouding of the eye, at the worst it covered 75% of the eye. Clouding went away with a 50% water change and an increase in water temperature. After 2 days clouding came back and has yet to go away after a second water change. The only symptom is the cloudy eye. Fish is still eating and exploring the tank.

Attachments

• MarlinMonroe.jpg
    MarlinMonroe.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
KristinaH