There are a lot of people that would say I have lost my mind.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder_o_b, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Happily Sunhawk is not one of them. She is in agreement as to what had to be done.

The 44 gal pent aquarium has sprung a leak :eek: I repaired it 8 years ago. It is more like seepage than a leak, but that is how floods start. It is at the bottom of a front corner 3 inches up from the base. there is a school of glass cats, one discus, one albino bristle nose plecky, four angel fish, three albino corys, a male pearl, and a bunch of well established plants.

We just got back from Petco with a complete 37 gal set up. They had a nice kit that saved me $50.00. But the total cost for it, and the other stuff that was need was planed for things like the top end work for my Harley. I now have a serious hole in my finances. But it had to be done, the lives of the fish in the leaker are under threat. I am setting up the tank tonight and hope to fast cycle it so I can move the fish before the seam completely fails. I will atempt to repair the tank by draining the water to the gravel and not disturb the plants. I will put a fan over it to bring in fresh air to remove the fumes from the sealant as it cures.

In the end, the lives of the little ones in our care come first….Then there are the Vet bills for the dogs and cats…*sigh*

It is a Marineland combo with stand, bio wheel, and LED lighting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  2. slimeneoValued MemberMember

Hope everything goes well & the tank cycles quickly! Do you have any idea what caused the leak?

3. FlynnsterValued MemberMember

At least you have your other tank you can get some of the bacteria out of for the new one to get it cycling!

4. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you slimeneo :)

My ex-wife never favored my love of aquariums (or photography) I finally broke down all the tanks. When Sunhawk came in to my life she brought her aquarium with her, re-ignighting my interest in fishies.

The tank was in the basement for several years, eight years ago when I set it up it leaked. I am guessing the sealant dried out. I am disappointed that my repair only lasted 8 years. Oh well, hopefully I'll do a better job this time. :)

Yup, no shortage of bacteria at our lodge :D

This is the rescue tank. It has LED lighting, a 200GPH Marineland HOB, and under gravel filter with two 160GPH power heads. Combinded with the HOB there is 500 GPH of filtration. The gravel bed is fairly deep so the fish should not get sucked into it ;)

It is a very young tank, but I think in time it will be ok. Some more plants and a chance for them to grow in.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  5. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello Thunder sorry to hear about your tank. The new one looks lovely and once the other is fixed room for more fishes ;)

6. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you Magoo :)

We are thinking about giving the tank to the mated pair of angles after this is all over. It has been a long time since there was the splish-splash of little fins in our lodge.
    :;fb

7. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Sounds like a good plan to me Thunder :)

8. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ok, I cycled the tank the way I always have. I took into very serious consideration the concerns that others brought up in another thread, but with the severity of the present situation I could not experiment with a new way. I seem to have that flippen flue that is going around (went to work, and was just too sick to get behind the wheel of a semi) So I am home. I started moving fish yesterday. As of now there are 10 glass cats and one albino cory (he is not happy, his buddies are still in the other tank) Ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates-0. The PH has been creeping up from the 6.8 that I set the tank to (the tank they are being moved from is 6.5 ish). This is not a surprise, I have been fighting this very high PH well water for 17 years. But since I am home I will be able to test the water throughout the day and adjust as needed. I will not be adding any more fish to the tank for a few days. So far the leak in the 44 pent is not getting any worse. So I will not have to do a panic move of all the fish. I plan to complete the move this coming Sunday.

Just as a precaution, I added some bottled bacteria. I generally don't do this, but with the rush nature of the situation I thought it a prudent thing to do.

I will keep you all updated in this thread.

I am going to miss the power that the over bore to my bike would have given…Well, I guess I could start working the dock on Saturdays….

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

What kind of bottled bacteria did you use? It could actually prolong the cycle process if you use the wrong stuff.

You consider 6.8 very high pH? lol. ;D

10. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

The product was Colony.

No, the PH of the well water is over 8. The water has the tendency to creep back up the scale after being set to the lower number. I normally use water from a dehumidifier for the water changes, but I just don't have 37 gal on hand. So I had to use the well water, and thus you have the numbers that I gave.

11. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

My water is 8.4, hasn't really bothered anything. I should really start keeping African Cichlids.

12. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I think you would realy like an AC tank. I had one back in the late 70"s (yeah, I know, I'm old as dirt :;laughing) It was a very cool type of tank. I would have one now, but I love live plants in my aquariums, and the Africans would shred them.

13. marine590622Well Known MemberMember

As in all things, your mileage may vary.

I have live plants in all but a very few of my tanks. My Christmas fulus, and my kyoga flamebacks are the worst offenders, trimming everything back, including anubias, but most of my other vics will leave the anubia, java fern and crypts alone. West africans like the hemicromis sp (moamba) do quite well with live plants.

14. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

:D

That is very useful info, thank you.

Now, to find an open spot in the house for another aquarium…..Hmmmm, hey, the bath tub has the foot print of a 300 gal or so tank right? And the floor will support the weight. And we really only take showers…So if I set up a shower stall next to the garage……..

Sunhawk, honey could we………………….

15. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I like this plan :D Perhaps we are a bad influence on you.

16. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, you all are leading me astray :D

17. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

You absolutely did the right thing, the lives in your care are the most important thing in the world... Good luck with the new tank mate, and good luck with the Harley, ride on brother!

18. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry to hear you had to use the money for the harley, thats no fun but at least you were able to afford another tank setup for your friends.

19. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Well, I can still ride the bike, and as you said we now have another tank to enjoy. Lots of work ahead until the tank fully cycles. Things are going well, but water changes are not my favorite way to spend time :)

20. marine590622Well Known MemberMember

How are you doing them? Hopefully not by bucket. My next fishroom I want to do a automated drain and fill system, but for now 1 inch inner diameter hose works wonders for draining.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice