Theory behind placing moss?

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guys, I'm about to start aquascaping my vertical ten gallon tank with java moss.

I was wondering about any advice as far as moss placement on my mopani wood. I got one piece that goes horizontal and then a long vertical piece to divide up the space.

Any general tips for moss placement would be appreciated.

thanks

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some people wrap the whole thing in java moss. I personally prefer the look of having it at the highest part so it can grow upward. I think flame moss would look great in a tall tank like yours, much better than the java moss. It grows into the shape of a candle flame and it has a vertical growth instead of the kind of all over look you get from java moss.

-Lisa

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I tried flame in my 5 gallon and it didn't grow well. My ferns, algae, my lillies, everything else in my tank grew like absolute ravaging insanity...but my moss didn't budge after months. I am hoping I will have better luck with Java.

I may put it on top of my vertical mopani wood to try give it a tree look like a bonsai!

Anyone recommend fishing line or cotton thread over the other?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
java moss grows really slowly. And to answer your question, either one will work, just try not to leave any loose ends because they look alot like little worms when moving in the water current.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used a polyester/cotton blend thread because it was all I had. I prefer thread over fishing line because the thread will eventually break down and be gone. Sure, no one's gonna see it, but I'll know it's there.

-Lisa

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will CO2 tabs or ferts help growth? I am hesitant to use them bc I have heard they are harmful to inverts and sometimes fishies.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good advice above. Wish I could get Flame Moss here. Like all other plants Moss will grow vertically faster than it spreads down or sideways so attach it at the lowest point you want it & let it spread upwards from there. I like attaching Moss with plain packaging string. It breaks down quickly & is easier to tie than fishing line or cotton thread.

Co2 can be of benefit to Moss but not fert tablets. Fert tabs go in the substrate & thier nutrients stay in the substrate to be available to plants with roots. Liquid ferts are the way to go with Mosses & other attached/floating plants. Liquid ferts stay in the water column to make the nutrients available for plants such as Mosses. There should be nothing at harmfull levels for fish in any substrate or liquid fertilizer. Most liquid ferts are safe for use with inverts but if you have any doubts you can use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. I have used it for a long time in tanks with RCS & snails & never had any problems. I believe there are fertilizers made without copper if you are really concerned about it but in all honesty your tap water probably contains more copper than most liquid ferts do.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually anywhere between 2 weeks & 2 months depending on how quickly it adapts to the conditions in your aquarium. I've had it take up to 4 months to attach & then I've had to remove all of the loose Moss & just let it grow from the little bits that are actually attched. You just need to be patient & watch for the extra green bits that grow off whatever you have attached it to.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom