Theoretical native New England biotope pond.

aoiumi

I live in Maine and am thinking of setting up a small pond in my garden this summer if I have the time and money. It would be very small for a pond. I'd have to look at the planned area again but I'd guess about 2 feet X 4 feet wide, and about a foot deep. It would be primarily for a waterfall feature, and there's a (good) chance it would be taken down each winter, but if that is just the worst pond size I would change it to something better.

Now, the important part that I probably won't be able to easily learn from just researching.
What fish/plants native to Maine would be good for a small pond?
Where I live, you can't go more than 400 feet in any direction without hitting some source of water, and I have little doubt that whatever I get for the pond will probably end up in the ecosystem at some point, no matter what I do. As such, IF I get any fish or plants for the pond, they will only be types safe to introduce into the wild, which I assume would be solely native types.

Other than that, any other tips and tricks for ponds, or good resources to look at? I already have a good wealth of knowledge about indoor aquariums, and some knowledge of diseases, though I imagine those are more common in the outdoor fish.

The main goal of this would be to have a water feature in the garden, as well as practice for my terraforming skills, so I'm not too torn up if there isn't anything that would work well.

The area also has a fair few birch trees around it, so sticks and leaves would likely end up in the pond, which may or may not be bad, I haven't done the research yet.

wisecrackerz

What about raising juveniles of a local fish species for intentional release? Some people do that here in upstate NY for the DEC; trout are popular, but I'm sure there are others.

jake37

I can't answer your question but what will you do during winter ?

aoiumi

I can't answer your question but what will you do during winter ?
Well, if I do what wisecrakerz said, I probably wouldn't have them that long. Otherwise, I think I could make a temporary tank inside for the winter, though again, if it doesn't seem like I good idea I just won't add anything.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • RedLoredAmazon
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
  • Danny002
  • Ponds
Replies
Views