themed tank help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by lollipopkiller, Dec 28, 2012.

1. lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i would like to start a themed cichlid tank. i have the tank set up. the theme is black and yellow because well they make awesome designs. anyone know and beautiful cichlids under 5" or maybe dwarf if possible? i would like to get 3 fish of diffrent species types. thanks for the help :)

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Acei are cool but are a dark blue/dark purple.

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

What size tank?
    Shell dweller cichlids are good, and can comfortably go in a 20G. Ram cichlids are good too.

If it's a 30, maybe kribensis or angels.

55+ opens you up to many of the cichlids out there.

4. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum.

Are you wanting African or SA cichlids? Will you be using the oscar, convict and terror you have in QT now? How big of a tank are you working with?

If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the Forum Action link at the top of this page and select Edit Profile. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

5. OP
    OP
    lollipopkiller

i have a 10 or a 30 both set up im thinking of maybe some little 1" babys in the 10 than upgrade to 30 in 2 or 3 months when they are bigger if thats ok i have the 30 running now if they need bigger. im thinking african cichlids. i have nothing in the 10g i have a few sliver dollars and a tiger barb in the 30g but they can be moved

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, you should concentrate first on fixing the stocking of your other tanks. Tiger barbs need schools of at least 5 and more like 8-10 preferably. Silver dollars likewise need schools and since they grow to 6", they are entirely inappropriate for a 30. After that, I don't know if it's under 5", but yellow labs are a nice bright yellow.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

For the 30 you could do a pair of australoheros oblongums (chanchito cichlids). They are very chill for cichlids, and very beautiful - black and yellow, with blue. As for 3 different species, sorry but no way. Not in a 30 gallon.

You might be able to keep a smaller group of africans in a 30. I don't know - I don't know anything about africans.

8. OP
    OP
    lollipopkiller

i did a little research and got a female bumblebee and a new tank it is a 30g i read she could be in that size is that correct?

121230_0018.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. Eienna

You should probably read this page.

10. OP
    OP
    lollipopkiller

ok thanks for the info i was way off with my info

11. Eienna

Yeah, haha. Hope you can take her back x.x

12. OP
    OP
    lollipopkiller

who would i? i have enough money to buy whatever she needs and the more tanks the better collection i can get plus they are wonderful pets <3

13. Eienna

OK, well, just be aware you may not be able to keep much else with her in that tank. :/

14. f

fishlover123456 New Member Member

a electric yellow cichlid gets 7 inches long and they are BLACK AND YELLOw

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice