55 Gallon Tank the wrong set up!!

jonathanbellaire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone and Happy New Year!!! Within the last few weeks I tried to set up my new 55 gal aquarium and I think I made a few mistakes. First thing is I cleaned my tank with windex and I don't think I rinsed it and all of my fixtures that well either. for the past week or so we have had a really hard time trying to get the PH level down( it's still at 8) even though the ammonia and nitrate levels seem ok. I was talking with my girlfriend last night about the problem and she suggested that we might have to start all over again . Well does anyone think we need to do that or is there another way we might be able to fix the problem?? HELP!!!!!!!!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!!!!!!

I would suggest starting all over as well...using some boiling water and 1 part bleach to 19 parts water...then rinse over and over again with hot water until you cant smell the bleach again...then use some EXTRA dechlorinating conditioner when you fill it up..run it for a few days and start the cycle process over......

jonathanbellaire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello shawnie!! Thanx for the quick reply and your suggestion sounds good to me !!! I also kept wondering why my water was still cloudy? it 's been like that for about a week Thanx again I'll keep you informed

duckyluv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
A good cleaning and if that doesn't work and the PH is still up then Sea Shells are a good way to lower the PH naturally.
I basically think the chemical to lower and increase is used as an emergency situation and there is no lasting result from it....
My god, I still have so much to learn....

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
A good cleaning and if that doesn't work and the PH is still up then Sea Shells are a good way to lower the PH naturally.
I basically think the chemical to lower and increase is used as an emergency situation and there is no lasting result from it....
My god, I still have so much to learn....
seashells up the ph NOT lower it....and any chemical to mess with the ph is too fast and too stressing to the fish....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom