The worst thing you've heard from someone working at a fish store

joshthefisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
a man purchased four oscars at petsmart as he was telling the guy about how hes got a 30 gal at home ?

aquatic mouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wish you luck heartsongsinger!

MeGustaUnaPez926

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There are stores here that sell baby arowanas to just about anyone because they don't speak English and can't question you as to you tank set up.

heartsongsinger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was at a petsmart and asked if they ever sold real drift wood (not the decor that looks like drift wood) see replied that we never carry live drift wood. Is drift wood really alive?

blufraser

Reaction score
I went to petsmart and asked if they had any bushy nose plecos and the lady says no, but we have these needlefish that are just like them. I hope she was just a replacement for someone who was sick that day.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We were in petsmart Wednesday buying Otos to add to the 55 gallon Oto tank. The lady catching them was being so rough catching them. she was raking the net across the gravel picking up gravel and Otos then scrubbing them up the side of the tank. My husband quietly asked her to be careful and she asked him if he would like her to get someone else to catch them for us and he said yes. She looked so startled and went to get someone else to catch them. The next person was very gentle and careful. I did lose two out of the eleven but can't be sure they were the ones she was rough with.
Carol

DPmom26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Both of the local Wal_marts in my area are horrible, they have recently began selling Green Spotted Puffers and Figure 8's, I honestly have broke down into tears the last time or two that I was there because there were some seriously ill puff's in the tanks and nothing was being done about it. Every one had fin rot and missing most of their tails and a couple in each tank their poor little bodies were sunk in and just laying on the bottom of the tank. They keep near 50 or more goldfish in what looks to be 10 gal. tanks divided into 5 gal. and the bettas in the little tiny plastic cups stacked everywhere are just sickening. I was told from an employee there that they don't have specific people to work the fish there that they supposedly take a class so anyone can get fish for someone, I mean come on someone working the automotive section can come back there and put their nasty hands that have god knows what chemicals on them in the tanks to get these poor little guys out for you. I have complained many times to management and even told several customers about a certain fish and how to care for them after they have asked the employee and got some stupid off the wall answer that even a 5 years old would know. Needless to say I don't think they like seeing me come in there because on several occasions I had been asked to just let them handle it since they worked there and I did not. The tag system they have set up to tell you about the fish is so incorrect it isn't funny, saying that South American Cichlids can be placed with other cichlids including African ones and that the Puffers are full saltwater and can be placed with other fish that are freshwater. It honestly makes no sense to me why they just won't give it the little bit of extra effort and try to do things right instead of just tossing them in the tanks and letting them be. I have even been in there on several occasions at all times of day or night and never once seen any of them fed or the tanks taken care of, and another thing that makes me sick is the sink they have next to the fish is so nasty and has dead fish just laying in the bottom of it with the ONE AND ONLY net that is used in every tank in the store. They honestly should not even be allowed to sell anything live of any sort and that should include plants.

Jessie

Reaction score
As someone who works at a LFCS I can honestly say thats it's not always the empolyies that are wrong, the customers have there fair share of misconseptions and sometimes there's nothing we can do about it.

I've tried refusing to sell fish to customers before and all I ended up with was a call from our corprate office asking why the customer was calling up and complaining, and that they were being mailed a 25.00 gift card, and to just give them what they want.

I think the worst I ever had was when a man and a woman pair came in. In that one trip they bought 3 oscars, 2 pacus, 4 common plecos and then the next day they came in again and got 3 Bala sharks, another oscar, and 2 tinfoil barbs. All this for a 55 gallon tank. Both myself and my manager told them mutiple times (though we had to change the number with each fish they got) in the end that they would need at least a 1000 gallon tank, or many seprate biggier tanks for all these fish they were getting for when they were full grown.

In response they said that if we didn't shut-up and just give them the fish they wanted they would sue us for discrimination.

And then people wonder why empolyies don't care as much.

I still try to give people all the information they need and help them if I can (I'm great with fresh water but I'm the first person to admit I know next to nothing about salt water) and am more then willing to help people who come in and ask. And I don't make things up, if I don't know the answer I pull out a book.

But after the first year or two I just don't have the strength to argue with people who think it's better to be ignorant.

I apologize in advance if this offens anyone, but there's always two sides to an arguement and it seemed to me that it would be closeminded to consider the empolyies lack of knowledge and stupidity and not place any blame on the people getting the fish in the first place. I know with every fish I've ever gotten and with all the ones I have to take care of at work, I've always done my research before hand. Which is something that is the responsibilty of anyone getting a pet no matter what it is.

podgethai

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i live in thailand nowadays and you wouldnt begin to imagine what they do here.
i mean in general animals are valued less by most people here, but im not joking when i say ive seen people buying a gold fish bowl for 2 oscars or snakeheads or even clown knife fish.
They are actually taking them home and putting them straight in.
I go to one shop near where i live to buy feeder fish and prawn, one day i decided to ask him a few questions about arrowanas(not sure which kind) that he had and he said yeah i can keep 4 in a 50 gallon tank! i said but will these out grow the tank?
he said no they only grow as big as the tank? what so is this 4 ft???
I think the thai aquarium shops are pretty bad really, they keep alot of fish in buckets outside too and theres always alot of dead fish in these buckets.
The plus side is you get handed the net and told catch your own, also fish are really cheap here.

newfishlover

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will never ever buy fish from a petco near me, have bought many fish for a friends tank and they all got sick and died i never have seen them actually clean there tanks just splash some chemicals in,and always have seen dead fish.I have found a great little family owned store and are very good and very impresive store only tanks and are always filled with customers.

Miriam and Joel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
..... and one story more: An employee at "petcetera" told me that Bettas prefere to live in small tanks (she was talkink about the small cups, there's not even a litter inside) and that it doesn't matter because they have only a "three second memory".... Poor, poor Bettas which get sold there....

eightballzero

Reaction score
my favorite was when a wal-mart employee told the guy next to me that if he puts enough ghost shrimp in his new 55 gallon, that the water would be ready for fish the next day.....I was curious to see what the man did. So about after 30sec of thinking about it, he asked for 10 ghost shrimp, and the employee said that would do it. And off he went with 10 ghost shrimp and a 55 gallon tank(no stand,gravel,filter,light)but at least he did get some fake coral haha

DPmom26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I more than agree that it is also the stupidity or lack of compassion of the consumers just as much or even more than the employee. I saw a woman one day get very snippy with an employee from my local wal-mart for telling her he really didnt know much about the guppies she was asking about and when I offered my help she got overly nasty with me and told me to mind my own business that she wasn't asking me. All she was asking is how to tell the difference between the males and females, and the poor guy was honest with her and she still became very nasty with him and me for trying to help. Some people are never happy unless you tell them what they want to hear.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OMG I heard stories around here about fish store but I was reading this messages and it was Holly Smokes. This is wild. So far I haven't heard anything wrong on my local petsmart or my LFS. Lucky me.

FearTheFishies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The only bad experiance i have with people selling fish was when i walked into wal-mart the other day got bored and split off from my fam. i went to check out the fish section. it was discusting the tanks looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a pretty long time plus all the dead fish floating around... Then i complained to a near by employee and they looked completly surprised at what was going on in the tank... there where MULTIPLE dead fish in most tanks. and thats why i don't by from walmart. we got a Locally owned petshop down in NP 1 of the brothers who ownes it is really into fish and i have yet to see a tank that to increadably overstocked (not like what ive seen at other places) plus the guy works really well with the me and anbody else in the shop always makes sure to get exactally what i need. if he doesn't carry it he probbly knows some one who does in town!

MizRamzi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I paid 5.99 a piece for 2, 2" balas. 6months later at 9+" I had to bring them back to the LFS as they were hurting themselves in my 75 gallon. What did I get paid for them? How bout 1.60$ a piece Then I found out through a very good employee friend of mine that they sold the Balas for 19.99$ a piece!!

ABCDemily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
platy ben said:
I bought a tank a while back, it was 15 gallon, i went in the LFS and said to the guy," i dont know wether to have 2 young piranhas and move them to my 65 gallon when they get bigger, or have platys,"

The guy replied, "Why dont you just have both?"

I looked at him blankly and walked out of the shop.

Now i go to a Fish store 20 minutes away called Swallow Aquatics, they are really great and they know what theyre on about!
Wow I must live close to you! It's me favourite fish shop. I use the one in Rayleigh

10gallonmadness

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I was at Wal-Mart looking at Neon Tetras (which I never bought there) I saw a family asking the lady at the fish section to get them a chinese algea eater. It took her 5 minutes just to get it in the net. Then she missed the box... and it fell on the floor. She basically squished it against the side of the wall to get it in the net. When she finally gets it, it slides out of the net again... then it repeats everything I just said (The family was laughing the WHOLE time). When she finally gets it in the container it just floats to the top. I didn't see if it was dead or not I just walked away.

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MizRamzi said:
I paid 5.99 a piece for 2, 2" balas. 6months later at 9+" I had to bring them back to the LFS as they were hurting themselves in my 75 gallon. What did I get paid for them? How bout 1.60$ a piece Then I found out through a very good employee friend of mine that they sold the Balas for 19.99$ a piece!!
I HATE that. It's very unfair, and IMO not a good way to keep a customer coming back.

ToxicChloe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jessie said:
As someone who works at a LFCS I can honestly say thats it's not always the empolyies that are wrong, the customers have there fair share of misconseptions and sometimes there's nothing we can do about it.
I completely agree with you. I too work at pet shop and we have some of the stupidest people come in. I had someone come in with their kids. They had a 10 gallon tank, which they though was big, and get 3 bala sharks. I told them I don't know how many times that the tank was way too small and that should get something smaller that would fit in the tank, but they didn't care and still ended up getting the sharks. And they dad said he wanted 3 so that way if one dies they still have 2 left.

Also, this other guy came in and had us test his water. It wasn't very good at all. My manager and I both told him he shouldn't add any more fish until his water gets fixed. He ended up leaving with 2 goldfish.

Some people just won't listen at all. It's very irritating.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom