The worst thing you've heard from someone working at a fish store

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw a helpless fish in my LFS slowly dying and I told the guy and he said "I dont care, I did not pay for him." I asked if he could discount him so I can take him home and let him die in a loving home and he said no you have to pay full retail. I did not have $70 in my pocket. I think it was a lionfish.

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You know, somebody should print this thread out and send it to the chairman of the big chain stores and whoever's in charge of small family owned buisnesses and have them do something about it. I mean, petsmarts adds and pictures that they have around the stores and in the newspaper adds reflect nothing on their stock. I got a petsmart discount coupon in the mail and it pictured a happy family watching their happy healthy swordtails, platies, neon tetras, and cories swimming around. I even brought that up one day when I complained to Petsmart and the manager was shocked to hear a complaint at such a level from a 13 year old kid

fishlover78

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lol, they were shocked at me too, I will NEVER enter a petco or petsmart again, I have found an honest local mom and pop store, hey I'm even friends with the employees!

Fish Addict

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
heartsongsinger said:
Petco in their ad has this thing that says all community fish 5 for 5. One of those fish is a tiger barb.
Aren't tiger barbs able to be in community tanks? I just thought that when they were nippy when they didn't have a school...

fishlover78

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Fish Addict said:
Aren't tiger barbs able to be in community tanks? I just thought that when they were nippy when they didn't have a school...
good point, I think you could approach the store manager about that, its misleading!

mjordan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
our lfs who r very good with there customers used to have 1 guy in particular that was an airhead. he was also the manager. its like he didnt care about pleasing his customers when they come in there 2 times a week. constantly yelling to the whole store when u did something to unplease him.

MagpieTear

Valued Member
Reaction score
When someone asked the clerk a technical question, she got a look of terror on her face showing she had no clue, she spied me looking at the driftwood and exclaimed "I don't know, but I bet he does! He's here more than I am!"

mjordan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i love that thats so funny

prairielilly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CHoffman said:
I was recently at a Walmart and I noticed that their Molly tank had fry in it..I said ohhh wow...You have fry in this tank...He said..."HUH, what's fry??".
When buying platies from Petland (some time ago and definitely not my best idea), I asked the clerk if they took fry. He made a weird face and asked me "Why would we fry the fish?"

Fla_Larry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is unfourtunat that many LCPS ( the petcos, and petsmarts etc ) people simply do not know, but a surprising number of "aquarists" are equaly to blame.

as one or two have said on here, when they see or hear misinformation being given out, they attempt to correct the situation by speaking up, on the rare occasion where you will get someone to pipe up with " the LCFS guy told me blah, blah blah..." simply counter with, well im sure he/she knows more than i, after all i have only been into this hobby for 25 years or so, and made all the mistakes they will make eventually" of course this only works if you happen to be "ahem... older", but it generally shuts them down, now if you know of what you speak, i dont feel there is any harm in a little white lie ( maybe you have only been into the hobby for 2 years).

Now if it is the know it all clerk, well if you know they are wrong, there is nothing wrong with having a little fun with it, i generally shut them down with a simple, "Please... i have tanks that are older than you". It is effective and eliminates the rude confrontations that may be called for.

Now as to the self-righteous individuals that would rather complain then act, well... to me anyways, i hear nothing but babble, if you hear incorrect information being dispensed, politly correct it, dont just shake your head and walk away. You are helping no one that way, and certianly are not helping the fish, in fact your silence directly contributes to their harm through your inaction.
as i posted on a differant thread, there is not a person on this or any forum, that got into aquariums knowing the whats and hows, we all had to be led, we all had to make our mistakes, So now you are in possessin of some of that knowledge, share it, DONT JUST SHAKE YOUR HEAD AND WALK AWAY, you may be that one particular fish's sole remaining advocate.

And BTW LCFS do not include the likes of KMart, Walmart, Stewarts, Ames etc etc, they are department stores that sell fish, people that go there either do not care ( the bulk ) or are there for a specific item only. Over all if you actually stopped and asked a customer in say Walmart or Kmart " do you think this sales person , or the sales person at the LCFS is more knowledable, with out even knowing the persons at the LCFS that would be the choice pick of 80+% of them, They do not expect that Kmart or Walmart employee to know, but they do expect the LCFS store employee to know.
so yes you see neglect at the big chain dept stores point it out, you see it at the chain pet store, let them know in no uncertian terms

( getting down off my soap box now)

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I HATE the woman in one of my LFS. She has been running this pet torture chamber for 50 years last year, and she's still in the stone age as far as fish requirements are concerened. Take, for example, their 10 gallon display cube. 1 Opaline gourami (With 1 eye), about 6-8 baby Firemouths, a baby Malawi cichlid and a Black widdow tetra... 'It's a bit odd how every time I go in, that display tank changes round?' (They probably die so they have to replace them!)
Their tropical plants are at arctic temperatures, and almost all they're tanks have lots of dead fish in them.

And, when I warn her about her display tank...
"I THINK I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, THANKYOU!"

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
People don't like to be told what they're doing wrong. Not even when they ask for advice. That's why for some people it's really hard to correct the fish store folks when they are convinced they know what they're doing.

Fla_Larry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Worst thing i have ever heard from someone working at a fish store....

Would you like that supersized?

aquatic mouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
About 2 years ago, I bought a 10 gallon tank from SuperPetz. The employee there told me I could put 5 green spotted puffers in the tank....WHAT?!!

Mjordan, what Jacks do you go to? I live in Dayton, OH. I am a regular to 2 "Jack's Aquarium and Pets" stores. The store in Fairborn is atrocious! Every fish I've bought from them has died! Now the only thing I buy from there (when I'm in the area) is crickets for my leopard gecko.

The "Jack's Aquarium and Pets" in Huber Heights is AWESOME! They know what they're talking about. They're friendly and helpful, and they don't mind testing my water.

Hypnox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From a WalMart worker:

"Goldfish should never be kept with any other kinds of fish, because their skin produces a chemical which is toxic to other fish."

Yeah right.

On the other hand, I got some fish at PetSmart, and the girl working there knew a TON about fish! She told me (even though I already knew) that any more than 5 guppies would be too many for a 10 gallon tank.

mjordan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ya i go to the jacks in waterstone...
there wondeerful and the only store i go to but that one guy with the loud voice was an idiot....
haha kinda like what somebody else said. that people dont like to be corrected or in this case that they suck at selling fish to people

EDIT: the manager since then has left and the assistant manager is the manager. shes one of the most knowageble people about fish i ever known...

heartsongsinger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I may be joining the ranks of knowledgeable workers as I don't like my current week-end job and I think that I can get a job at petsmart

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
unfortenatley, I have no bad experiences with my LFS. ;D they have their own tanks and know what they are doing. In fact I was in there yesterday and she was doin water change gravel vac on all the tanks. A few tanks were still in quaritine for a week now due to making sure they were healthy before selling them. One was a tank full of neon tetras. They pay attention to the fish and can tell you about them, what fish go good together, how big they get, stuff like that. And people pop in all of a sudden and want a tank and no nothing, she tells them about the cycle first. Or someone walks in and sees those cute baby cichlids and then they are told they are mean, which is out of their league, then they move on to the next tank, lol!!! It makes me feel good to go out there knowing the fish are taken care of. And the fact that she let me know the Rosy Barbs I wanted are fin-nippers and that my JD might eat them. Of course I live in a small remote town and i've known her for awhile. But she does take pride in the fish.....

catfishlover123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Luckilly I know there is one great employee and he gave me great advice.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads