The WILD side! - 100 gal Discus build thread - Page 6

Tigerlily

Stunning fish... eye popping photos! Thanks for sharing.

Slug

The geos are still small, under 2" I'd say. Thanks

Disc61

Stunning Pictures and Fish, I am so looking forward to my first shipment from Kenny.

Slug

You will be incredibly happy with Kenny and his fish. Best customer service in the world and really healthy nice fish, very good choice of vendors.

yusufm52

Everytime I visit this thread there is something new to see.. like right now these Geos.. the fish is just WOW, and the pics spot on cool..

iZaO Jnr

Everytime I visit this thread there is something new to see.. like right now these Geos.. the fish is just WOW, and the pics spot on cool..

1. Those fish are indeed amazing.

2. This is a very long lived thread

3. Everytime I see this I want to get discus into a tank. I'm not sure I would be able to get them to look so great though ;D

yusufm52

1. Those fish are indeed amazing.

2. This is a very long lived thread

3. Everytime I see this I want to get discus into a tank. I'm not sure I would be able to get them to look so great though ;D

This Thread is the reason why I am getting discus...

iZaO Jnr

This Thread is the reason why I am getting discus...

Wow...

Congrats Slug!

Slug

Thanks all! Not terribly amazing photos, just wanted to give an update on the wilds. Coloring up some, nothing intense yet....but the potential is there. They will get there, just gotta give them time.

SemI Royal Mangal, not the best light hitting him here, washes out some of his red.

These are pictures of some of the other Mangals I got. These are going to be nice once the red fills in.

Reversed its bars lol

Not the best 2 pictures, but just wanted to show, you can really see the red potential here.

Terrible picture here actually, but I had to show it. This is a Cuipeua I got back in Oct or Nov of last year (I think that date is right?). The picture below it is the same fish not to long after I got it.

And of course the reddest one in the tank....always hiding behind someone/something. This time its my tripod holding my flash and other fish. I did NOTHING to this photo color wise, this is as red as he is to the naked eye.

Slug

Just for fun

Disc61

Terrible picture?? better than anything I can do, they all look great.

Daac

That last picture is pretty great lol... some incredible fish and pictures!

Slug

Thanks

yusufm52

They all still look great..

Akari_32

I love the way the camera brings out those neon blues! Great looking fish *droooooool*

Slug

Got some prefilters for the filters on the 100gal, using them now....we'll see how they work. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the wilds.

Heres the red one, current holder of power in the tank.

Challenger of power, a Mangal.

Another Mangal, one of the photos is kind of dark, but you can see the shape and color fairly well.

Semi-royal Mangal. Hasn't gotten as red as the others yet.

Few others, nice shapes!

yusufm52

Matt they look amazing.......
And correct e if I am wrong, u have two ehiem 2217s right on the tank?

Sent from my A1_07 using Tapatalk 2

Slug

On the 100gal yes. Not a big fan of them really. I'd rather have a sump.

yusufm52

Yeah read that on SD, and I also have a 72gal running a 2217, and am planning to put my 7discus which I have got right now in a 30gal QT in it, can't really place a sump there.

So please keep updating on how the prefilter works out for you, so I know how it will be working for me. Thanks.

Yusufm52
sent from tapatalk2

Aquarist

Beautiful Discus as always Slug!

Always a pleasure to see your tanks and fish!

Ken

Disc61

Wow Matt, very nice. been using prefilters on mine since I started it. really like them.

Slug

Thanks all. I don't like my 2217's because they seem to trap a lot of waste and are really not easy to clean especially when there is 2 of them and 100gal of water as well. Its a pain having to cut off the entire system, open the lid take the media out, etc. Just not efficient enough. That's why I bought the pre-filters, hopefully I can catch the waste before it gets to the filters. We will see.

noslen1003

What camera are you using? Guess you are taking pics manually- settings please.

noslen1003

Wow Matt, very nice. been using prefilters on mine since I started it. really like them.

What kind of pre-filters are you using? Where can we buy them?

Slug

For some reason this thread got locked before I could respond. Its back open now so....

These are the prefilters I am using on my 2217's

My camera is a Canon 5D Mk II, lenses are either 24-105mm or a 100mm macro, though I do have a new 14mm....not really suited for fish pics. Usually (this varies a lot), its ISO100, F2.8-4 (somewhere in there depending on lens, fish, tank etc), and a flash above the tank.

noslen1003

Thanks.

You do take picture manually?

Slug

Yes, always. Auto is a piece of junk

noslen1003

If not too much trouble-advise your settings used for above pictures-opening/shutter speed; lens used.
Trying to learn the manual way - maybe can start with your settings.

Slug

24-105mm lens, 1/200 shutter speed, ISO 100, f4. Problem is to use these you will probably need to replicate the flash above the tank.

noslen1003

I have a Nikon D7000 to use - guess the flash is connected to your camera and it goes off every time you make a shot? tripod?

Slug

I have 2 flashes, off camera that I use as slave flashes. Usually I only use one for pictures, but have 2 if I wanted to use them. They are totally off camera no wires, its all wireless and they are controlled by a infrared transmitter that is connected to the camera.

Tripod is yes and no. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in lol.

noslen1003

You are a dedicated photographer - as you are as dedicated to your aquarium fishes!!!!

Slug

So, the good news is the wilds are back in the 100gal. The bad news is, the biotype aspect no longer exists. Took the wood and sand out of this tank. Its a way for me to start over with it, and still keep the fish without setting up a new tank (just got some new fish from Kenny and Mike Beals and needed space for QT and growout). So the wilds had to go to the 100gal, they share this with my 2 small geos and my wild angels. Here are some pictures from recently. I hope my watermark is not to intrusive, tried to make it light to do its job but not intrude.

Akari_32

Gorgeous as always I'm not a fan of grown discus, but your guys always so pretty. They may need to come home with me ;D

Slug

Buy wilds on potential folks, they change!

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

MD Angels

Wow, those are some beautiful discus! They must be getting very well taken care of!

APColorado

They are definitely spectacular. How long did it take for them to deepen in color?

Dlondon95

Amazing photos Matt!

Slug

Thanks all. Took about 6 months to a year for them to gain this color.

Disc61

I did not realize it was that big of a change with the wilds. nice comparison.

cognizant

I always love looking at your pictures. The discus are so absolutely beautiful, I come away both amazed and jealous!

Slug

Thanks!

noslen1003

Good looking fishes!!!
Nice photogarphy!!
would you mind sharing your camera settings/ set up?

Slug

Thanks. Canon 5D Mk II with a 24-105mm canon lens. Also a Canon speedlite flash above the tank.

Siggi

Ah - with that set-up you are a pro-photographer...
Full-frame and all. That's only for grown-ups.
I use wireless flash as well... Easier to get the light where you want it.

soulsack

Those really are beautiful discus.
Now I want them to.
Congrats.

Slug

Thanks!

Thermonectus

Wow, what an inspiring thread! I just got a 65 gal that's cycling right now, and I'm thinking about a discus tank. Thanks for the great reading material!

ryanr

re-opening thread

Slug

Thanks Ryan.

Bringing this tank back from the dead. Heres a tease... Some are at a bad angle but here they are. I'll get better ones as they get less shy! 2 Cuipeua, 1 Cuipeua Super Red, and 1 Solomon solid. One of the Cuipeua has more royal pattern, couldn't get a good picture of it yet.

I want you all to take notice of the sand. That's "playsand" from Home Depot. As I put it in the tank I asked myself who in their right mind would put this in a child's sandbox....look at the rocks!!! LOL I love it for a fishtank, much more natural but for "playsand"....I can see the skinned knees from here.

New Background for the tank is my next task.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views
TJG
Replies
Views
Letsfish
Replies
Views