The WILD side! - 100 gal Discus build thread - Page 5

Daac

Thanks, cool catfish, how big do they get?

Slug

Yes I use Prime as it goes into the tank. The catfish will get around 5-6" I believe.

New video, watch in HD!

Akari_32

Looking good, as always, Slug! The Catfish are cute! <3

Slug

Thanks!

LarrythEDeer

I have a question... How did you get the tank to have that darker look? I have always wanted to do that to tanks of mine, but I can never get it to look as good as that...

Slug

What do you mean? The background? The tank is pretty light, not quite sure I understand lol Its all lit by LEDs, so every inch of the tank is not covered by light...more spotlight effect instead of a normal tube light like most tanks have. This casts some shadows and gives the shimmer effect.

nitingdedao

Slug slug where are you? You seems busy and not updating your tank. Get back to work! lol

Slug

Its pretty much been on cruise control lately. Been really busy. I've moved some wilds (the most promising ones) over to a bare tank hoping to mature them up more and get them ready to breed. They tend to show their better colors in the bare tank.

Wild Cuipiea discus.

Same fish "before" and when I received it about 10months ago.

RogueAgent94

They look great! I like the orange hue they're showing.

Akari_32

Wow, gorgeous! Good luck with breeding them (though you probly don't need it ;D)

angelou

I*HEART* THIS THREAD.

and now I want a discus tank rofl!

Disc61

The Color is amazing. I noticed in post #192 back in June you mentioned they were feeling kind of sluggish. did you treat them with anything when you moved them to the barebottom or just water changes. and then you added a few airstones to their big tank. they seem to be doing well.

Slug

WCs and air, that's it. I've treated a few of them for worms, don't seem to show any signs of them anymore so looks like that's been fixed.

divefanatic

WOW! beautiful tank! I wish I had the skill to build all that! and amazing fish! I want some now!

FishLoverCali

I want a discus tank now

Slug

Just an update. Keep in mind these new pictures were taken with a direct flash this time, so color may be a bit off....but its pretty much accurate to what the fish looks like. This is 10 months and 9 days since I got them. This is my "select" group of wilds that I would eventually like to breed, so I've pulled them out of the main tank so I can really focus on them easier, and keep the tank cleaner. So technically not my 100gal, but its an update on my wilds. I'll take an updated FTS of the 100gal probably tonight....but really nothing has changed lol.

Before

After (same fish)

Some others, in with some domestic Jumbo PiwowarskI Red Turq overflows that won't fit anywhere else at the moment.

So 10 months and you see that much color change, its quite impressive.

Akari_32

They are GORGEOUS! And they look great. Are they mature yet?

GemstonePony

Wow! I used to think wilds were less bright than domesticated, but obviously not!

Disc61

thanks Matt, they look great.

Spagarckles

The wilds look great!But they look miniature next to the domestics.

nitingdedao

So Slug tell us about your plans. Are you going to in-breed the wilds or are you going to do a cross with domestic strains?

Spagarckles

I don't think it is likely the wild caught fish are related.

Slug

Thanks all.

Actually there's always a chance at relation. Though they are very tightly screened by the exporter in Brazil so he wouldn't be taking a whole family group of fish or anything. You never know. Some family breeding is fine, you just need to know what you are doing and eventually cross it out.

I really would like to breed Wild x Wild to see what I get. A lot of times F1 or F2 come out looking better then the F0, and have some desirable traits. I do have a RT that seems to have a pretty prominent center bar, I'd love to bring that out more on the wilds, and being a RT it could put some nice straight striations on them. I don't know, my first goal though is Wild x Wild.

lorabell

Slug....I was just catching up and thinking I was gonna ask for some new pics!!!!! LOL....Beat me to it.......they are just STUNNING!!!!!!!!! Ive been "eyeing" some wilds here locally....they have a lot of blue in them......pretty...but no where close to what you're doing.....got my mind churning here......

Disc61

keep us posted, this is a great thread, really enjoying the progress.

Gamer

Glad to see this thread it still going and it's inspired people to want their own discus, myself included.

Slug

Got some new Wilds. Couldn't resist. They are in QT at the moment. I have 4 of them total.

Here is the tank as it stands as of yesterday. Rearranged the wood, needed a change. Been fighting a pH issue in this tank for a while, it literally will drop off the charts because (what I would guess) of the wood. So I took some of it out, might put something in the filter to balance it out some. Caused the fish in there currently to look kinda ragged, but they are on the rebound. These are the wilds I have no intention of breeding, and the newest ones are still in my own QT so some of those will be going into the tank too.

Akari_32

Those fish are gorgeous! As are the old ones lol

I love the tank. Its so simple, yet very elegant!

jeffteo

Here is the tank as it stands as of yesterday. Rearranged the wood, needed a change. Been fighting a pH issue in this tank for a while, it literally will drop off the charts because (what I would guess) of the wood. So I took some of it out, might put something in the filter to balance it out some. Caused the fish in there currently to look kinda ragged, but they are on the rebound. These are the wilds I have no intention of breeding, and the newest ones are still in my own QT so some of those will be going into the tank too.

I had the same problem with my planted tank using ADA aquasoil and a large wood. It drop to below 6 pH till I pop in a bag of coral chips into the sump. Now the pH hovers around 6.5 - 7 pH.

Everythingzen

That's beautiful. Gorgeous fish!

pirahnah3

ok wow, just wow, that is fantastic!!! well done good sir

ps matt great shots, what do you use if I may ask .

Slug

Thanks.

Canon 5D MK II with various lenses

plecoman123

Wow I love how the light is suspended

iZaO Jnr

Hey slug, I know this is coming a bit late, but nonetheless... Have you considered running a sump for this tank? Its advantages far outweigh canisters when you go over 90 gallons.

Anyway, hope you're enjoying this tank. I've been fortunate enough to just finish my stand for my 180 gallon custom tank. Will be emptying the tank so I can move it to its final place...

Slug

I had considered it, but Originally I wanted to go as simple as possible and I didn't want to have the tank drilled so I said no to a sump. Looking back, it might have been a mistake as a sump would make things so much easier.

Slug

Here is the newest video folks! Not perfect, but its good enough to show you their color and condition. Camera was a bit off center of the tank giving it an uneven look, trust me the tank is level LOL. Watch in HD!

I'm working on the 100gal right now. Tweaking some filtration and adding more sand, once its done the wilds will go back in that.

While you are at it feel free to check out my other videos if you've missed them.

lorabell

Just GEORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

yusufm52

Great looking discus, keep it up.

Chicken farmer

They are so pretty....discus are 1 of my top 5 favorite fw fish.

Slug

Thanks all. The video really shows how red they are. The video is very close to what you would see in person, if not dead on.

lorabell

Just a little note....lol......why not try the sump...and just do an overflow?????? I found an awesome one(in charleston) and use it on my reef......works like a charm!!!!!!

nippybetta

Those are beautiful discus!

Disc61

They have great color Slug. very nice, thanks for sharing.

I have a question for you, but I will pm you with it. talk to you soon.

Slug

Thanks all. I could do a sump, still might....still weighing my options at the moment.

nitingdedao

Thanks all.

Actually there's always a chance at relation. Though they are very tightly screened by the exporter in Brazil so he wouldn't be taking a whole family group of fish or anything. You never know. Some family breeding is fine, you just need to know what you are doing and eventually cross it out.

I really would like to breed Wild x Wild to see what I get. A lot of times F1 or F2 come out looking better then the F0, and have some desirable traits. I do have a RT that seems to have a pretty prominent center bar, I'd love to bring that out more on the wilds, and being a RT it could put some nice straight striations on them. I don't know, my first goal though is Wild x Wild.

Ha ha slug.... all these years pple are tyring to create a pure red discus, no stress bars nothing and fully red and no black specs. In recent competitions we are seeing more and more fishes hitiing perfection. As in solid red body, red and eye rids.

And now you wanna fish with stripes.... isn't that downgrading lol

If I have those nice wilds, I would go and find the best piece of golden based red I could find and try cross with it. If you know hmmm golden based red nowadays are close to perfection as in color and shape however it lacked in size.... hopefully injecting wild genes will able to produce larger fishes.

But each have their own liking and I respect u for that.

Slug

Not sure why I keep posting the pictures of my wilds in this thread because they aren't in the 100gal....but I guess it keeps them all in one place. I did move a few of them back to the 100gal along with my wild angels. Still have the sump in mind, but its still on hold for now, I'm doing more water changes to make sure no waste builds up. These are a mix of fish from Hudson and WBSabby. Oh yeah, and 2 RT who I'm trying to pair up...just no space to move them anywhere just yet. They'll have their own breeding tank within the next couple of weeks.

Here is some of my humble collection.

Not the best picture but its a really nice fish. Same fish as the first picture a page back in post 227.

And this is my most colorful red one, probably my favorite of the group. This one is SO hard to get pictures of, tends to hang out near the back. Its one of the bosses of the tank so it knows it can get food whenever it wants and doesn't rush the glass lol.

Slug

Here are some shots of the geos in the 100gal tank.

Akari_32

Gah! Gorgeous as always, Slug! If any of these fish go missing, it wasn't me

Slug

Thanks, I keep a close eye on them!

Akari_32

How big are the Geo's? They're like.... bigger, cuter Bolivian Rams.... =3

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views