The WILD side! - 100 gal Discus build thread - Page 4

Walter B

Fantastic tank, design and set up. And great pictures. Thank you for the effort posting all this.
Maybe I missed it in the many of your posts but I am curious how you do water changes for this big tank.

Slug

Thanks. Easy, water changes are done just the same as a small tank! I usually do about 50% every 3 days or so, sometimes more but never past about 75% as the fish really start to spook. Then just fill it back up! I use a container inside the tank when filling so the water hits that first instead of stirring the sand up.

Slug

I'll just leave these here. Got some new wood...

Akari_32

Looks AMAZING!! I bet they are loving it =D

Whats the red thing going up the trunk of the wood?

Slug

Thanks. Its just part of the wood. Has a nice red vein going through it. Some Manzanita has that but I've never seen one that nice.

Akari_32

It definitely adds character to the wood =3

Brainlady

Stunning photos, what a treat. !!

LICfish

That is a beautiful piece of wood. Where did you get it?

Slug

Thanks all. Got it from a Manzanita seller and sponsor on Simplydiscus.com, "PC1".

LICfish

Thanks all. Got it from a Manzanita seller and sponsor on Simplydiscus.com, "PC1".

Oh I think he's also a member of the plantedtank forum right? I'll have to check out his inventory.

lorabell

Absolutely Stunning Matt!!!!!!!!!!

Disc61

Very Nice, love the color in that piece of wood

Danni

So pretty...it really adds some depth to the tank too. I so want this tank. LOL Nice job Slug.
Just out of curiosity- are you planning on planting this tank?

Butterfly

Beautiful fish and tank as usual. I too love that piece of wood.
Carol

Slug

Thanks all. No plans for plants, other then floating plants (Though my festivum and the current destroy those). Being a biotype tank I want to keep it as natural as possible. Many people don't realize the natural discus habitat is pretty much void of plants.

Danni

Thanks all. No plans for plants, other then floating plants (Though my festivum and the current destroy those). Being a biotype tank I want to keep it as natural as possible. Many people don't realize the natural discus habitat is pretty much void of plants.

I absolutely didn't know that it was void of plants...I was thinking after I asked that plants in this tank would take away from the natural beauty of the fish and wood.
I so love this tank. I think I have said this about 50 times...it's spectacular.

yusufm52

I would be saying the same thing as Danni..
Just love your tank. and am desperately trying to build a same tank as yours matt, but am having some problems with getting the good discuses here...
My only respite is watching your tank pics. Please do keep uploading new pics.
Hey how many babies did you get up till now?

Slug

Update on the eggs above

And here are the fry from before. (Just to be clear, these are Festivum, not discus)

Hsunami

awwww cute! great pic

Slug

Thanks!

psalm18.2

Is that the mother guarding the eggs?

Slug

Yes, that's the mom.

Akari_32

Those are awesome pics, Slug, espectially that 1st one! Wow, am I speachless lol

Hsunami

yea I love his fish too, you and ur picture taking perfection >< LOL

nitingdedao

good photo taking skills!!!!

GemstonePony

Nice pics!
On the last severum pic, the pattern on it's gill cover reminds me of a fish.. check, my imagination's still working.

bolivianbaby

Congrats on the successful festivum spawn!

Please keep me posted when you're ready to sell the fry! If I have the money, I'd love some of those babies!

cwb141

What settings do you use for your pictures when you take them?

andrearamirezo91

WOW... It sucks I found this thread so advanced already! Congratulations on your AMAZING tank, fish and pictures! I love it!!!!

Slug

Thanks all. BB, I'll definitely keep everyone updated on the status of fry.

CWB, it varies but generally its about F/2-4, 1/200, and ISO-100. It really all depends on the number of flash I have working, their settings and where in the tank I am shooting.

Disc61

Wow, great Pics. Congrats on the fry......Awesome tank.......

Slug

Have I posted this one before?

Lucy

If you have, it's well worth posting agian.
Beauitful fish matt!

Tigerlily

Wow! Eye popping!

Susan30

Beautiful tank, will you post some pics of your other tanks with breeding discus pairs please?

Slug

This is an older picture but you can see them here. A lot of those fish have been broken up or sold, but I have an order coming in midway through June and it should offer some really nice breeding stock. The top two tanks will be discus pairs and the bottom tank will probably become an Apisto setup.

Susan30

Great. Do you expect the wild discus to breed?

Slug

Eventually, at least hopefully. I might have to cross them out at first, they take much longer to mature then tank raised domestic discus so it could be a while.

DaroRs

Your discus never stop amazing me Slug!

Keep it up!!

J.M.S.

I just wanted to say that your discus biotype tank may be the most fascinating tank I have seen yet... I honestly think I could spend all day just staring at it. You did an amazing job!

foxhill2

I just found this thread. Wow... talk about a feast for the eyes! Absolutely gorgeous Discus AND pictures!!! Now I'm depressed looking at MY fish! (Just kidding) Thanks, Slug

Slug

Thanks all. New pictures coming soon...hopefully. Though you might notice the wilds are in a bare tank. Its like a zoo, you pull the fish out of the main exhibit to treat them for different things. They were acting kind of sluggish and were not eating liked I wanted them too so I pulled them out and put them in a bare tank. Within a day they were back to their old self and showing great colors. Led me to believe that maybe I don't have enough oxygen going into the water of the main tank, so I threw in a couple airstones. They should be ready to go back into the tank very soon......they have to.....I'm getting some new discus and need the tank they are in now!

Akari_32

Poor guys! Hope they feel better, and all it was is just low oxygen. Cant wait to see the new guys!! And that breeding project sounds like fun =D Definatly will be keeping an eye on that one lol

Daac

WOW that tank is amazing! Great job! I always wanted a tank bigger than like 15 gallons but my parents won't go for it lol. Also what makes that rippling effect on the sand from the water surface? I have always wanted it because it looks cool and it is more natural but I could never get it to work with my 15 gallon and hood.

maxima423

how have I not seen this thread =T amazing work!!!!

Daac

Whew, well lighting is DONE! I'm happy to report I finished my LED fixture tonight (Besides a couple of extra screws here and there). It all works and I have to say, i'm quite proud of myself. By far the biggest electrical project i've ever taken on, biggest DIY project actually. Very pleased with the results. Here are a few pictures along the way, I didn't take pictures of every step...there were just to many!

I used thermal sticky pads rather then thermal paste, easier.

Then stick the LED stars to those and solder them all up (wire them)!

I may have missed it if you posted it earlier but what was the exact name of those LED lights? I wanted to get one for my 2.5 gallon shrimp tank for better lighting.

LarrythEDeer

One word... EPIC!!

Slug

Cree XP-E I think? Cool Whites and Warm Whites. Theres a parts list for the LED light somewhere in this thread you can scroll back and find it and it will tell you for sure.

Slug

By the way, I now have 4 wild Whiptails in the tank as well.

FishResearcher

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question: You said when you do water changes that you have a thing that takes to water right from the tap into the tank. Do you use a de-chlorinator?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views
TJG
Replies
Views
Letsfish
Replies
Views