The WILD side! - 100 gal Discus build thread - Page 3

Tigerlily

Wow... they look fantastic!

Disc61

Very nice, looks like they are adjusting well..........

Slug

Some new ones:

Festivum

Discus

Slug

Pikes

Akari_32

That fourth pic in the 1st set is freeking adorable!!! The pikes are cute too! The blue is coming out great on the Discuss' =D

harpua2002

Fantastic!

Are those C. regani? How are they doing with the discus? I kept C. compressiceps for a while and they were holy terrors in a 55. I've never kept small fish that were aggressive toward conspecifics to the degree that those pikes were.

Slug

Thanks. Yes they are Regani. They are doing VERY well. They don't bother the festivums or the discus at all.

Slug

Some shots from yesterday, I'll take some full tank shots soon. Really waiting for the frogbit on top to grow in.

rae64

Looks great! Awesome pictures!

cwb141

what kind of camera do you use for your pictures? I have a cannon slr, but can never seem to get a good resolution when I take close pictures.

Slug

Nothing much to report. Getting some new wood from PC1 soon, can't wait. Also it seems that I am terrible at growing plants. My frogbit all but died, I thought this stuff was like duckweed. I think between the festivums picking at it and the higher current in the tank it just couldn't seed itself. Still got some under a grow light seeing what it can do. Some newer pictures below. Didn't do to much other then sharpen and resize, the colors are pretty accurate for the most part. The flash makes the fish a BIT more red then they really are...but they are quite a sight...getting very colorful each day.

Festivums

One of the 2 fish in the tank that are really putting on a color show.

More royal type, scales are a bit scratched on the side.....they got pretty fiesty during a water change and scratched each other.

One of the Cuipeua. Not as red as the special Ica reds are yet but very nice round robust fish. This one also has a scratch.

RuanMaritz

wow you take magnificent pictures love the discus

Akari_32

Slug, I'm going to kid nap your fish and your camera LOL

Slug

Noooooo

Thanks!

Tigerlily

Beautiful fish and photos. I too wonder what camera you shoot. Did you have a thread where you gave photo tips, or am I hallucinating (again).

Slug

Thanks. I did have a thread like that. I use a Canon 5D Mark II.

Slug

FRY! I think I'll rig something up to where they can stay in the tank but be separated from everything else. Like a breeder/fry saver thing. They'll be protected so they can't get sucked through a breeder net, will be able to be fed easily, and have good circulation. I'll take pics once I do it. Below you can see, its a fairly large spawn and it looks to be a 100% hatch rate. Mom is guarding them very well.

Hsunami

that's awesome! So cute! nice camera quality

yusufm52

Hey Matt its a beautiful tank and lovely Wilds, and congrats on the fry, well you'll be getting all your fishes for free..

Slug

Thanks. Heres what I rigged up to hold the babies. I originally wanted to get a small fountain pump and pump water up from the tank into the baskets, but the supplies haven't come yet so I'm using air to create some current and air in there for now. Basically a PVC pipe holding the baskets just above the water surface and airlines running down into the baskets. Its a very fine metal mesh so the babies won't slip through and can't be sucked to death by the other fish.

These are just universal coffee filter baskets from Amazon.com for $2 each. Babies seem to be free swimming now, most of them. Hoping they take BBS.

RuanMaritz

good idea , don't you have other tank to keep them in?

Slug

I have other tanks but last time I moved them they died after a few days. Trying not to take chances this time.

Danni

Great idea on the babies.

Beautiful fish and tank...great photos!

Tigerlily

Clever!

djbrist

HI Slug,

? Did you use a "baster" to get the free swimmers into the baskets? Did they respond well to being expelled back out, or is there a trick? Just wondering

Great "fix" btw.
Dave

Brainlady

HI Slug,
I looked at one of the links with all you Discus fish..... so stunning, what a treat to have these magnificent fish. I am really looking forward to watching your project develop. So, what does your bed look like???
What do you do with the fish that your breed? Hope that's not a silly question, I just wondered if you sold them privately or to other breeders.

Slug

Thanks. Yes I used a turkey baster, saw no ill effects.

Danni

HI Slug,
I looked at one of the links with all you Discus fish..... so stunning, what a treat to have these magnificent fish. I am really looking forward to watching your project develop. So, what does your bed look like???
What do you do with the fish that your breed? Hope that's not a silly question, I just wondered if you sold them privately or to other breeders.

It might be Brainlady's dream bed. Sorry couldn't resist that one. :;a2

Slug

Lol, my bed is clear and no fishtanks under it.

I don't usually get many fry to sell, I'm hoping this batch changes that because I have a lot of locals who would be interested in festivums. Locals being the local fish club members, hobbyists as well as breeders.

dezdude

Give me some for free :]

Slug

Some from today

Chances

Wow. . . . . . . That's awesome! Great pics!

Disc61

Awesome Pics Slug, they are really doing great............

yusufm52

AAAAAWWWWWWESOME PICS Matt...
just going mad just looking at them.. hope I get to take those kind of pictures.

Danni

Amazing....so beautiful!

Slug

Thanks all.

vico

its truly beautiful..
I really admire and respect your dedication!!..
awesome pictures taken...thanks for sharing with us mate...!!
really loved it..

GemstonePony

They're so PRETTY! one day, I would love to have a discus and cardinal tetra planted tank(I think they're compatible?). It is my ultimate dream tank(not that I don't love what I'm working on now). Anyways, gorgeous fish!

Slug

I had to leave for the weekend and my festivum fry numbers suffered, but I've still got a handful of them and they seem to be doing really well. Heres some pictures BEFORE the weekend. They gorge themselves on brineshrimp.

Hsunami

beautiful as always, hope to be getting my wilds by end of this month, after my vacation back from Taiwan

har har har, so discus-n00b is you on simplydiscus LOL I knew I seen the picture of those wilds when I was on the forum and I remember seeing them on this forum. Keep forgetting to ask. LOL

Slug

Thanks, lol yep that's me! Made that name wayyyyy back when I really was a noob!

Hsunami

Thanks, lol yep that's me! Made that name wayyyyy back when I really was a noob!

lol good stuff

lorabell

Absolutely beautiful!!!!! As always...... good luck with the babies!!!!!!

Slug

Thanks. Another batch of eggs is on the wood as of last night. Still there this morning so we will see. Its a different pair this time. (Festivums)

Akari_32

Babies look great! Glad to hear everyone is happy in there =D

This might have alreay been asked, but what do you plan on doing with all those fry? Seems like you'll be up to eye browd in them before long! LOL

Hsunami

Thanks. Another batch of eggs is on the wood as of last night. Still there this morning so we will see. Its a different pair this time. (Festivums)

LOL funny you put the Festivums in there. LOL and again reading the sentence I thought they were discus ROFL

Discus-Hans here I come in 3 weeks after my trip to taiwan

Slug

Thanks. I'll unload most of the fry locally, to club members. Then to stores if need be.

Slug

So, the eggs posted about above got eaten, but I had a new batch from the original pair the next day. So there is no shortage right now.

Akari_32

I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at your discus! So pretty! I like the wilds better then the bright blues and reds you usually see. Much less in-your-face lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views
TJG
Replies
Views
Letsfish
Replies
Views