The WILD side! - 100 gal Discus build thread - Page 2

Akari_32

Thanks. No timeline yet, but within 2-3 weeks. The fish I've ordered are due in the US by the 24th, so a week from today. Then 2 weeks QT at the importer's place then to me!. I'll probably be QTing them as well for a little bit and seed the new tank.

Cant wait to see it done! I'm getting very excited! I'm guessing you have decided on your exact stock then? (sorry if that's already been posted lol)

Slug

Thanks. Just the discus so far. I'll get some Festivums too. That's as far as I know.

8x Wild discus
6x Festivums

nfeuerhelm

Sounds like its all moving along smoothly (at least from the outside looking in haha) and it looks like its really going to turn out beautifully.

Slug

Thanks. It feels slow to me, but I don't want to rush anything.

Akari_32

Thanks. Just the discus so far. I'll get some Festivums too. That's as far as I know.

8x Wild discus
6x Festivums

The Festivums kinda remind me of Gouramis! =D

nfeuerhelm

Thanks. It feels slow to me, but I don't want to rush anything.

Yea that is always the better way to do it. It can spread the cost out some and at least always helps me not make stupid mistakes like cutting something too short or making a hole too large.

Slug

The light hanger is now bent and the wood for the stand is cut. Now I just need to assemble it all. Need some brackets and a connector for the conduit light hanger. Looking back, I probably should have gone with 3/4" conduit instead of 1/2" so it would be more rigid. With the 1/2" I'll have to have a piece coming from each side now rather then the original drawing of one side with an overhang. Not a huge deal. I'll take pictures once I am assembling or after I assemble the stand. Trying to get this done this week so that my brother who is in town for the holidays can help me lift the tank onto the stand.

To do list:
-Assemble stand
-Get plywood for the surface and skinning the stand
-Stain said plywood
-Purchase driftwood and sand
-Receive wilds from Discus Hans/Hudson (H&K Discus), and Mesonauta acora (coming tomorrow!)
-Enjoy

Akari_32

I dunno what's more exctiting. That fact that this is one huge DIY project, the fact that its a 100 freeking gallon tank, or the fact that I want to see your Wild Discus lol Sounds like fun though. Maybe I should try something like this one day (when I have 56k to sped XD)

Slug

Lol thanks. Its a giant pile of fun, a mess, and a learning experience all piled into one. Not quite 56k, but I have enough sunk into this project that it wouldn't be worth quitting anytime soon.

Akari_32

Definatly not lol

Slug

Busy day tomorrow (Today now, i'm a night owl). Wild discus arrive via FedEx before 10:30am. They will go into a temporary home for a short QT while my tank is finished being setup. The tank will be seeded so no need for a cycle.

After I receive the fish I'll be moving the stand into place, attaching the light hangers and light, as well as putting the tank on the stand. If all goes well I'll be washing sand as well. Still need to get some more driftwood but that will come eventually.

cwb141

Busy day tomorrow (Today now, i'm a night owl).
Same.

Can't wait to see your discus in their new home. I'm sure they'll thoroughly enjoy it.

How loud are the Eheim filters? I'm going to be putting one into a 2X4 with plywood stand and am worried about noise and possibly rattling.

Good luck bro.

Aquarist

Have fun Slug!

Looking forward to your updates! Hope you're staying warm!

Ken

lorabell

Sounds beyond awesome!!!!!!! Cant wait to see it all done!!!!!!

Slug

Same.

Can't wait to see your discus in their new home. I'm sure they'll thoroughly enjoy it.

How loud are the Eheim filters? I'm going to be putting one into a 2X4 with plywood stand and am worried about noise and possibly rattling.

Good luck bro.

No idea honestly, this is my first time using them. I'll find out though. I've saved some stuff to dampen the noise over the past few months though. And I should have some extra neoprene (main part is going under the tank) so I should be fine.

Have fun Slug!

Looking forward to your updates! Hope you're staying warm!

Ken

I've been very cold lately Ken, I probably picked a bad time to do this project because i'm always outside building it lol. I think I'll be washing the sand inside today in the tub....not sure yet but I know my hands would freeze outside.

Sounds beyond awesome!!!!!!! Cant wait to see it all done!!!!!!

Thanks!

rae64

Oooh! Exciting! Its cold down south today, isn't it?

Akari_32

*.* I demand pics the second you have time *.*

Slug

Its not as cold as it was, but I'll be washing the sand another day. Already did all I could do today. Tank is setup ready to go, light is hung. All I need is the sand in the tank and I can start filling.

Fish came today too, these are HOT. These fish just make me smile looking at them. Natural beauty....why would anyone EVER create a hybrid when the wild produces this. Look, Santy Claus came! And why yes, that is a mustard colored recliner in the background.

351.jpg

First off let me start by saying that both Discus Hans and Hudson (guy whos company collects the fish) have AWESOME wilds. I'm still in awe of them and I know that won't go away. True natural beauty. So much more mild mannered then domestics too, very easy to pickup from a bucket and put into the tank...no splashing. Thanks to Hans's great care they went into my tank with 0 problems as smooth or smoother then domestics. If they can only get better then i'm in for a treat, because they already have great color to them....can't wait to see them 6months to a year down the road. I snapped a few pictures of them, first because they are settling in so nice that its not going to stress them further and second because I want to be able to compare day one (for me) to day 100 and whatever. Feast your eyes. I got 4 Special Red Alenquers and 4 Alenquer Cuipeua. I can't wait to get them in the new tank they are going to be SMOKIN hot. You can see in the last picture, these are not your average LFS wild discus on the brink of starvation....these are THICK.

353.jpg

355.jpg

358.jpg

357.jpg

And, without further ado....their new home. Still need to skin the stand, I can do that later with them in there as I think I will use magnets to attach each panel. What do you think??

360.jpg

363.jpg

362.jpg

Akari_32

Wow Slug! They look great! I like them even better then the tank bred fancy strains they have! (except the red ones with the blue stripes. Those are cute <3)

Slug

Thanks, I like them better then most domestics as well....something about them. They come out of the river like this, they are not line bred for years to achieve this, that's what makes them so special.

Akari_32

Gotta love wild caught fish =3 Its too bad that a lot of wild caught fish are over fished... Lucky for the Discus's, though, they aren't as cheep as others!

rae64

Oh my gosh, they are so gorgeous! And so is their new home

Slug

Thanks!

Put the sand in the tank yesterday. Now I just need more wood and to fill it up.

iloveengl

That's a beautiful setup, slug. I can't wait to see the finished project. Thanks for keeping us updated and for the pics along the way. It's been fun to see this progress!

outlaw

Any progress with the weekend? Looks awesome so far!

Slug

You bet! Thanks! I think I'm going to get the Hydor heaters and go inline, the Jager just isn't cutting it inside the tank, such an eyesore.

Here is the tank as it stands now, I still need to get more wood and maybe some floating plants but that's about it. I'll most likely be removing the clump of java moss as well. Thinking about some Biotodoma for the bottom. Discus are more active then the pictures show, but they still seem a little nervous still need to get used to the tank a little bit.

475.jpg

These have lots of potential for red on them, I can't wait. They show very good orange and yellows now but you can tell the red will come in.

478.jpg

477.jpg

480.jpg

I'm going to take video of this tank soon. The effect the LEDs give is simply amazing.

Akari_32

Looks great! I think a grass like plant would look awesome in that tank, BTW.

The fishies are looking nice!

psalm18.2

WOW!! OHHHH AAAAHHHH!!!

Great job!! Looks wonderful.

RuanMaritz

wow they look so beautiful cat wait for the tank to be completely finished

bolivianbaby

Excellent work, Slug!

Those discus are fabulous!

cwb141

You bet! Thanks! I think I'm going to get the Hydor heaters and go inline, the Jager just isn't cutting it inside the tank, such an eyesore.

I recommend ebay for the heater, I got my 200w for $36 after shipping. It's hard to find them for under $40, especially if you get a 300w. Sometimes an online store will have them for cheap, but the reviews for the store are never good.

Also, you should look into Cyclop-eeze if you want to encourage the red coloration on your discus. I started including it in a diet for my rummy-nose/cardinal tetras and rainbow shark and it works like a charm. Cyclop-eeze decapods have the highest natural concentrations of Astaxanthene and also highest unsaturated fatty acids. My fish not only have more striking red coloration, they also look and behave much healthier. It's not cheap though, I was lucky enough to get a ton of samples from Argent Laboratories, which is a few miles from my house. They recommend the frozen Cyclop-eeze if you can find it.
http://www.argentaquaculture.com/

outlaw

Looks awesome so far! I'm not a big fan of the discus for some reason, but the colors on them are sweet!

FiremouthGuy

Here is my absolute favorite planted tank, ever. Done by a guy named Alex, he's from Greece and this aquascape is properly titled "Zeus's Throne". Real dynamic lighting, and you can see the back light it gives off that orange sunset-like effect.

568.jpg

ishy10og4og5oglove ....

Those were the steps of me trying to figure out what I was looking at... That is incredible. Most incredible aquascaping I have ever seen. It is not even very densely planted, but that bottom carpet just turns into some tropical jungle.
What's he got in it?

EDIT:

OH! And yours looks INCREDIBLE so far too... Got sucked up in the picture of the Zeus's Throne Tank. I took a good looking over all the pics. My second favorite tank in the world. For obvious reasons. Zeu-I mean God bless... Darn tank is still on my mind!

Slug

Haha yeah I love that tank too. Thanks. Mine isn't perfect by any means but its satisfied my taste for a wild discus tank i've been craving forever, since I saw my first wild discus in the LFS in the 90s.

I'll try and get a video soon, the effect the LEDs give is intoxicating really. I love it. Anyone know of a good simple video editor that can save/edit in full 1080p?

Akari_32

Hmmmm.... Do you have Windows Movie Maker? It should accept any type of video, but I could be wrong, because I'm used to iMovie in TV Production at school. >.<

Slug

Real short video of the tank. Still need more wood and to remove that Jager heater. But you get the idea. Watch in HD!

Akari_32

Looks awesome! I may have to steel it XD Bet it weighs more then me though... >.<

Slug

Thanks. It weighs quite a bit lol

Akari_32

I can barely lift a 55 gallon with help XD

How long is that tank, anyway? Just buy looking at the pics, it looks like 2 55 gallons glued back to back

Slug

Its the same length as a 55gal. 48"L x 24"W x 20"H

Akari_32

So its just like a breeder tank then? That's cool =3 I can't wait to get my 40 breeder tomorrow morning. My lizard will LOVE it, going from a 10 gallon to a 40 breeder XD

backflipfronflip

You have an amazing tank. It's a real inspiration for us beginners!!!!!

Tigerlily

These have lots of potential for red on them, I can't wait. They show very good orange and yellows now but you can tell the red will come in.

479.jpg

I can't believe I just found this thread. I've been admiring your discus since the first week or so after I joined Fish Lore. Your fish are stunning. The tank is looking great.

Your photos are wonderful too. Of your new group I really like this one in particular.

It's fascinating this is their natural color. They are jawdropping.

Slug

And that's actually a young fish, not even close to colored up fully yet. It takes wilds months and months to get their adult coloration.

Thanks all.

38.jpg

39.jpg

tyspot1000

Wow! I can't believe I missed this thread! Beautiful tank and discus

Tyler

Tigerlily

And that's actually a young fish, not even close to colored up fully yet. It takes wilds months and months to get their adult coloration.

Thanks all.

Dang, I need to subscribe to your thread then... and find some patience. LOL Can't wait to see these guys with adult coloring!

Disc61

Absolutely beautiful tank and fish, I just ordered 2 new discus from Hans, should be here Tuesday. you are surely the reason I was able to turn to Discus myself. Keep sharing the knowledge......

Slug

Here are some new pics from yesterday. The last picture is without flash so you can see the color just by tank lighting, bars were showing a bit more because I had been using the flash.

This one is the unique one in my tank...hasn't developed many striations yet and is just a real clean brown color, not that that's a bad thing.

Got some semiroyal/royal action going on

And heres my most personable wild. He's always in my face at the glass and definitely the most active. He changes colors a lot too. He'll go from a nice light red/orange to bringing out his center bar and black ring. The black ring looks great with the center bar. I look forward to seeing this guy in 6+ months!! I wouldn't call him my favorite because I love them all....but he's up there. The black ring usually comes out when food hits the water. These pictures are of the same fish.

Without flash so you can see the black

Akari_32

They look great Slug! I love the little odd-ball one <3 I really love how vibrant the colors are in the second to last picture! =D

Slug

Thanks, they are really doing very well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views
TJG
Replies
Views
Letsfish
Replies
Views