The wife wants an angelfish

bushmaster06

Reaction score
We have a 55gal currently stocked with 3 pictus cats, 5 black mollies, and 8 platies. She wants an angelfish and then I told her about the blue mickey mouse platies I saw today and wants those as well. I've read and heard mixed opinions on the angelfish being compatible, and I do not want to overstock the tank. Right now I'm running a 400GPH HOB filter and I'm not opposed to adding another one if necessary.

I'm thinking that if we get an angelfish then it needs to be in a separate tank. If I add 4 more platies into the 55gal, do I have room for anything else?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Angelfish do better in a group. While they won't harass the mollies and platies, they will definitely try to eat the fry.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You absolutely have space for one, but the thing most people don't know (because stores tend to advertise them as solo fish) they will do better when you have more. Everything would be safe except the fry

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's a loaded question lol, a large part of it depends on the sex of them. You could do 2, but it'll be difficult if you get two males, three is just a risky number in general, four might work out, ideally 5+

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
nikm128 said:
That's a loaded question lol, a large part of it depends on the sex of them. You could do 2, but it'll be difficult if you get two males, three is just a risky number in general, four might work out, ideally 5+
Never really had good luck with four angels. I had three that basically gang up on the weak link to the point that one angel would hide constantly.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think a single angel is fine. The only time I had issues with a single angel is that he was kept in group setting until adulthood, and then was kept by himself. His behaviour became a lot more relaxed, and outgoing. But I 'lost' the personality.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
bushmaster06 said:
Is a taller tank better than a wider one for them?
Tall tank is better than a longer one, though long tanks are important as well.

altwitch

Reaction score
I keep a pair of angels in a community tank and have had zero problems despite a wide range of tank mates. Just no shrimp; they devour shrimp like you read about. Share space with rainbows, cherry barbs, BN plecos, corys, swordtails and snails as well as an idiot loach among others.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nikm128 said:
It is possible to do just one, just not an ideal situation
There's pros and cons to both group vs single angels. IMO, for the OPs tank, a single would be a better option comapred to a group.

Ideal is certainly subjective, for many, the ideal situation is a single angel. A single angel often doesn't come with the excess baggage that a group has.

New Threads